12 Hours of Capitol Punishment **Feedback Requested**- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

12 Hours of Capitol Punishment **Feedback Requested**

I have been doing alot of thinking about 12 Hours of Capitol Punishment, specifically the 12hour part. I have got nothing but positive feedback from people about adding an event to the endurance calendar but I think some people are having a hard time wrapping their heads around the "12 hours" part.

So, I wanted to get feedback on changing the race from 12 hours to 6 hours.

From a racers standpoint this would:
    1. Take nightime out of the equation.(no lights needed for night laps)
    2. Could start later and finish earlier.
    3. Less intimidating after a long summer of riding and racing.
    4. Puts us in the same format with the 6 Hours of Mt Hood and the Washougal 6 Hour.

Thoughts?

www.12hoursofcapitolpunishment.com

I should be out riding
    I think that would be a good idea, especially the first year for the event. Then, maybe offer both 6 and 12 hour options for next year if demand warrants.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

6 hour

I think that you have to either go 24 or 6. I don't think that 12 hours is a good length - too long for most solos, not long enough to get a 4 person team and enjoy the cameraderie that 24 hour races offer.

I would start at 6 and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Agreed.

But, I disagree about point #3. If anything, we're all in better shape to actually "enjoy" a longer event. (in a sick and twisted sort of way...) If anything, it would be more intimidating to run something longer earlier in the season. Would the 6 be on shorter laps or longer ones? (Thinking team dynamics.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your feedback. You all make excellent points.

Borneo - for this year I would keep the course the same, about 10 miles per lap. There are a few options for the future to make the course longer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    6 sounds a lot more appealing than 12

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Still trying to determine the best format - so I'm curious...
    When dreaming up the 12 Hours, the vision was a relay race. Sure, there will be the hard core soloists, but the intention was to appeal to a broad range of skill levels by promoting this as a relay event - 12 hours tackled by each team. I've only done these events myself in a team, and is always a good time. A team format works really well for a longer event - gives everyone on the team good time on the course - fun social atmosphere back in the pits while members are waiting for their laps.

So the question is... does forming teams appeal to folks, or are people more interested in a shorter race that is more realistic for soloists?

Thanks for all your feedback, I greatly appreciate it.

On a different note, just got some really killer sponsors - posting the news on Facebook later today!
    We'll get this detail ironed out, then onward to a great race!

Trey
    www.facebook.com/12hoursofcapitolpunishment

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thinking a 10 mile loop is a bit much for a 6 hour if you are doing a "team". Depending of course what you tink the lap times will be. Can't recall exactly what the Spokeedalopee 24 hour laps are now but I think they average about 50 minutes to 1:15 right? If it's a "long" 10 mile lap, maybe you get 6 laps in if you are lucky? Hard to say without seeing a profile of the course. There's almost no point having more than a duo if everyone only rides one lap.
    That's one of the problems I have with Spokane and a larger "social" team. It's expensive for 1-2 laps. I've found 4-5 people there works best.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was thinking from a solo perspective. I think I'd rather race 24 hours than 12 hours solo. If I'm going to spend that kind of time in the saddle I'd rather go for 24. This is just my single opinion . I'm not sure what is popular in world of endurance racing.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I like the idea of six. Actually I had kind of ruled out doing the race until you mentioned the six hour change. I would be more into the solo thing as well.

I should be out riding
    You could always offer both 12 and 6 hour options. 12 would be better for teams, and either 6 or 12 for solo's or duo teams.

Shortening the course doesn't seem too practical though. I think your website had the course as #8 to #50 to #6 back to Fall Creek? I'm no CF expert, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to shorten that. Seems like a good lap IMO, and probably the best option from Fall Creek.

Be interesting to see if everyone throwing opinions out shows for the event.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ya know I won't... I don't race anymore.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Thanks

Thanks for all the great feedback. We have decided to add a 6 hour race option with solo, duo and team categories. Details will be added to the website in the next few days.

Trey
    www.facebook.com/12hoursofcapitolpunishment

Members who have read this thread: 0