yo davis have questions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

yo davis have questions.

hey have you been on laurel creek trail(rimmel) recently? i have been wanting to head that way to do some riding. laurel creek seems to be pretty dry no matter the time of year. mostly just wondering about how many trees are down. after the freak snow storm in october, there were thousands of trees down here and the trails are still a mess. let me know. thanks.

the unvarnished nonsense

Rimel area conditions

Laurel Creek still has some of the large blowdowns which make it annoying to ride. We cleaned up most of them last year, except for the largest ones, but there are more now. The long relatively flat area along the creek has a few, but worse is the flood damage on the second water crossing. The big topped tree is still down at the hairpin at the top of the steepest climb as well. Two Lick trails (near the campground) were good the last time I went around. Hope this helps...
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davis
    Laurel Creek still has some of the large blowdowns which make it annoying to ride. We cleaned up most of them last year, except for the largest ones, but there are more now. The long relatively flat area along the creek has a few, but worse is the flood damage on the second water crossing. The big topped tree is still down at the hairpin at the top of the steepest climb as well. Two Lick trails (near the campground) were good the last time I went around. Hope this helps...
    that helps alot. i am going out today to clear trail around here. that storm in october sure has been a big headache. think i will probally head down that way sometime soon. hows dirtbean? haven't talked to those folks for awhile.

the unvarnished nonsense
    I think I've only seen them once since Christmas myself. Chad was back in Kansas driving truck for his Dad, and I guess Kristy is training all of the time because Kelly is always working when I go in there. I've been working as a ski tech this winter at Ski Barn, so I have almost no time to do anything but set and wax skis/snowboards. And you thought I was annoyed by Snowshoe tourists before....

I've spoke with Kelly's SO about the Rimel condition (he's a USFS guy) and he's advised me he'd try to light some fires under some folks to get some official work done out there. I'm also beginning to get involved with a private land owner who borders the MNF north of Laurel Creek and he showed me literally miles and miles of trails I was never even aware existed prior to him showing me. None of these have ever been ridden on bike, but are in good shape from hunting/horsback riding, although use is still minimal with these two groups. He wants me to aid in the grant process to fix all of them up for multi-use. I've only hiked them so far during deer season, can't wait to ride some of them this year.

mtbr member
    Hey, be nice to snowshoe tourists, I'm one, love it there. I was there in December, wish i knew you worked at the ski barn, would have stopped in and said hello. Hope to come down this year and ride with the shuffle group again. Jm

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    [ I'm also beginning to get involved with a private land owner who borders the MNF north of Laurel Creek and he showed me literally miles and miles of trails I was never even aware existed prior to him showing me. None of these have ever been ridden on bike, but are in good shape from hunting/horsback riding, although use is still minimal with these two groups. He wants me to aid in the grant process to fix all of them up for multi-use. I've only hiked them so far during deer season, can't wait to ride some of them this year.[/QUOTE]

were are these trails? i need to know!! always in search of new stuff. if you want to keep them secret i understand. if you want you can pm me. peace out.

Feb 2006
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if you guys had any good NE West VA suggestions. i live in Waynesboro, VA. I usually come into West VA. via 33 from Harrisonburg. I have been swimming in the river that flows through franklin where the climbing area is and have seen several bikers back there. Is there a good trail network along this river area? What about riding in the Seneca/Canaan area?

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if you guys had any good NE West VA suggestions. i live in Waynesboro, VA. I usually come into West VA. via 33 from Harrisonburg. I have been swimming in the river that flows through franklin where the climbing area is and have seen several bikers back there. Is there a good trail network along this river area? What about riding in the Seneca/Canaan area?
    That's Pendleton County area, right? I seem to recall there being some good stuff around Brandywine, although I'll have to check some maps tomorrow and then send more details. Near Seneca Rocks is the famous North Fork Mountain, a 28 mile point to point. Up one end of the mountain to the ridge, ride forever, then down the other end. Absolutely requires a shuttle, but well worth it. Have heard conflicting reports as to whether or not this is still a viable route, as a few hundred yards around the middle pass through private property. If you do this ride in the summer, beware of the timber rattlers which seem to inhabit every rock on the mountain. My advice, stay clipped in and ON THE TRAIL. You will be tempted by the many overlooks with scenic views, but man, those poison ropes are EVERYWHERE up there. Still worth riding, but be careful.

And Canaan simply rocks. You must ride Plantation Trail, and the other can't miss rides in Canaan are the park-to-park ride and Canyon Rim. If you haven't ridden Canaan yet, you should do so ASAP.
    Last edited by davis; 02-21-2006 at 10:16 PM.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by joeywv
    [ I'm also beginning to get involved with a private land owner who borders the MNF north of Laurel Creek and he showed me literally miles and miles of trails I was never even aware existed prior to him showing me. None of these have ever been ridden on bike, but are in good shape from hunting/horsback riding, although use is still minimal with these two groups. He wants me to aid in the grant process to fix all of them up for multi-use. I've only hiked them so far during deer season, can't wait to ride some of them this year.
    were are these trails? i need to know!! always in search of new stuff. if you want to keep them secret i understand. if you want you can pm me. peace out.[/QUOTE]

They're not really "new" but more like unmapped. And unsigned. Locals speak as though they were there before the area was part of the MNF. Access is available from a public road, but I drove past the trails for four years now, so they are easy to miss, and the road is hard to find. From the public road, most lead down, down, down...and end at the MNF border. We're hoping to fix the access issue, and mark them properly. Some older USFS maps show this network as "jeep roads", although I haven't seen anything wider than singletrack and I bet I walked about 12 miles of trail. I was told the entire network may cover over 50 miles, but that's someone else's guess. They actually connect into Laurel Creek Trail. I had seen what I thought was an offshoot trail, but never really explored it. Maybe I should have. Apparently, you can get on at Rimel and ride singletrack all the way to Frost, WV, and from there you should be able to cross over the Alleghenies into VA, or so I'm told. When I get a better understanding of the trails, I'll let you know.

Feb 2006
    Thanks a TON! When will Canaan be rideable? I'm sure there is a lot of snow up there now. Where should I get info on the Canaan trails? Are they all resort ran?

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    Thanks a TON! When will Canaan be rideable? I'm sure there is a lot of snow up there now. Where should I get info on the Canaan trails? Are they all resort ran?
    Canaan rideable? May. MAYbe. Seriously, that Canaan mud/muck/clay/soil mixture stays wet damned near forever. Its never really dry except for drought years and those are uncommon. Luckily there's plenty of wet roots and rocks to break up the monotony.

Timberline has some nice downhill singletrack (Sidewinder in particular) that is free access, Canaan Valley has some relatively new (7 or 8 years) singletrack, but the best stuff is in the Monongahela Nat'l Forest. You can get a map/directions/advice from Roger at Blackwater Bikes in Davis, WV.

Just do a search on this forum or Passion for "Canaan". It's legendary. Birthplace of 24 hour racing and widely regarded as some of the best riding east of the Mississippi. You can't go wrong at Canaan.

Professional Slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    Canaan rideable? May. MAYbe. Seriously, that Canaan mud/muck/clay/soil mixture stays wet damned near forever. Its never really dry except for drought years and those are uncommon. Luckily there's plenty of wet roots and rocks to break up the monotony.

MAYbe we should meet up there sometime in late May/early June for a camping, riding, drinking excursion. I most likely will not be making it to the gathering this year, assuming there is one. I ran the idea by the committee and was voted against, 2-1.

And check your email once in awhile... That email was tongue in cheek, btw..just in case you did get it and did read it. If you didn't, no worries. I can never remember which address to send to....
    Procastinators...Our Leaders of Tomorrow!

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by chili
    MAYbe we should meet up there sometime in late May/early June for a camping, riding, drinking excursion. I most likely will not be making it to the gathering this year, assuming there is one. I ran the idea by the committee and was voted against, 2-1.

And check your email once in awhile... That email was tongue in cheek, btw..just in case you did get it and did read it. If you didn't, no worries. I can never remember which address to send to....
    The Shuffle wouldn't be nearly as fun (or tasty) without you, perhaps I need to address the other committee members with my concerns.

Camping, drinking, and riding in Canaan in late May sounds good to me. I'll talk to my friends that have the house in Timberline and see if they are going anywhere around that time, maybe we can score their house as a "house sitting" gig.

BTW, on the topic of e-mail, did my last one get through? For me, the ....frontiernet.net addy is the way to go.

Planning on a Dr. Davis' Travelling Shuffle and Medicine Show at Douthat State Park in Virginia this year. Looks like we may be shooting for late June on that one, and hopefully the slacker in charge of such things will get off his butt and make the official Slatyfork Shuffle 2006 announcement soon, but you know him....

Hope all is going well for you and those two beautiful women-folk.

Feb 2006
    Nice, I've heard of the 24 hours of Canaan for awhile. I use to camp and ski up there every weekend when I was in high school. We'd test out our mountaineering gear there at the resort camp grounds since they kept it open no matter how much snow they got. I use to freeze my ass off but loved every minute of it. I'de definitely be down to camp/bike/hike/drink one weekend up there this late spring/summer.

Members who have read this thread: 0