WV Trip planning...suggestions?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2005

WV Trip planning...suggestions?

I'm looking for opinions on a trip to WV that I am planning for next fall(2006). I want to hit several good Mt. biking destinations in the north side of the state. My wife and I will be the ones going, and we plan on camping along the way.

Here is what I had planned so far:
    Camp at Coopers Rock State Forest, Morgantown WV
    and somewhere around Parkersburg
    Get a hotel when we go to Gettysburg for the day(or a bed and breakfast)

Ride at:
    Coopers Rock State Park, Morgantown WV
    Plantation Trail(rated one of 10 best by Bike magazine...is technical), Davis, WV
    Davis / Canaan XC Course , Davis, WV
    Mountwood Park, Parkersburg WV
    Snowshoe, Elkins WV(possibly ride here, $45/day)

I was planning on doing a circle trip. Camping a few nights at Coopers Rock State forest, riding there and taking a day ot two to make it to Davis to ride once or twice there. Hit Gettysburgh for a tour day(rest day too, for the wife of course). And then hitting Parkersburg on the way home, and stop at the Fenton glass place also for a relaxing day. We may also want to go river rafting for a day(I was thinking the Patomac, rides start in Barnum WV). It would be a 7 day trip, we live in Indiana.

Let me know what you think, if I should drop one place for another, or your general impressions on the places I have chosen.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    @ Morgantown, you might want to stay at Sandsprings Campground and also side in the WVU forest side of the park if you're ging to be there for a couple days. When exactly were you planning this trip? A buddy and I campout at Sandsprings a couple times a yr.

Feb 2004

from coopers...

you can hit quebec run area, wvu forest and the 24 hours of big bear course all with in minutes. snow shoe is not in elkins, but another hour south. 3 hours south of morgantown. from canaan valley, you area still a long way from snowshoe. beautiful place, but out of the way. coopers is also about 40 min of back roads from rafting the cheat river. much better than the potomac. both are rain dependant. ohiopyle is 45 min from cooper and is dam release for rafting. always runs. better than the potomac but not as good as the cheat. from canaan, you could drop down to seneca rocks area. there used to be some of the hardest point to point racing in the country over there. you would be close to virginia and could cut over to the potomac that way, too.

Apr 2005
    Thanks for the responses.

olds_cool: I'll look into "quebec run area, wvu forest and the 24 hours of big bear course" Thanks for the suggestions.

crashedandburned: We don't have a date set yet. We were thinking September timeframe(not too hot, good for camping). I also wanted to check with the rafting places to find the best time. It would be cool to meet up with some people possibly. My wife isn't as fast, fit, or aggressive as I am on the trails. And I am sure she won't want to ride a couple of the days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9
    Thanks for the responses.

olds_cool: I'll look into "quebec run area, wvu forest and the 24 hours of big bear course" Thanks for the suggestions.

crashedandburned: We don't have a date set yet. We were thinking September timeframe(not too hot, good for camping). I also wanted to check with the rafting places to find the best time. It would be cool to meet up with some people possibly. My wife isn't as fast, fit, or aggressive as I am on the trails. And I am sure she won't want to ride a couple of the days.

U'r welcome. As far as rafting, as I understand it the best time to go is Oct. time frame when the state opens up the Summersville Dam. That's when most people come in to raft.

white boy extraordinaire

Do Summersville....

Rafting the Gauley should be on your top ten list if you go to WVA.

I did a trip two years ago, not nealy as extensive as yours, that included two days at Slatyfork and then raft the Gauley. I'm not sure which was more exciting but both are WELL worth it IMHO. That river is a BLAST, should not be missed.

In Slatyfork, you can stay at Elk River Touring Co., get a overwhelmingly good breakfast and then hit some of the best singletrack around......IMHO. ERTC has a damn good restaurant too with good local beers on tap, if you like that sort of thing, I surely do.

Then summersville isn't that far away, 1.5 hours maybe, non-local driver. I don't know if any of this is feasible with your trip but it should be......IMHO
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

Oct 2005

Good job!

you might want to check out south of seneca rocks in the monongahela national forest. there's a campground at spruce knob (highest mountain in wv) and also at smoke hole (north of upper tract). both of these areas are near franklin, wv. this area is extremely challenging. they run the PHEAR (Potomoc Highlands Extreme Adventure Race) here every year, and there is some wicked difficult trail to be found. i think some of the national forest is off limits to bikes, but i have not found it yet. also, on rt 33 coming into wv from harrisonburg, va, you roll through the geo washington natl forest, which also has an abundance of trail heads right along rt 33, i cannot recommend these areas highly enough if you are looking for some tough trails with excellent views.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9
    I'm looking for opinions on a trip to WV that I am planning for next fall(2006). I want to hit several good Mt. biking destinations in the north side of the state. My wife and I will be the ones going, and we plan on camping along the way.

Here is what I had planned so far:
    Camp at Coopers Rock State Forest, Morgantown WV
    and somewhere around Parkersburg
    Get a hotel when we go to Gettysburg for the day(or a bed and breakfast)

Ride at:
    Coopers Rock State Park, Morgantown WV
    Plantation Trail(rated one of 10 best by Bike magazine...is technical), Davis, WV
    Davis / Canaan XC Course , Davis, WV
    Mountwood Park, Parkersburg WV
    Snowshoe, Elkins WV(possibly ride here, $45/day)

I was planning on doing a circle trip. Camping a few nights at Coopers Rock State forest, riding there and taking a day ot two to make it to Davis to ride once or twice there. Hit Gettysburgh for a tour day(rest day too, for the wife of course). And then hitting Parkersburg on the way home, and stop at the Fenton glass place also for a relaxing day. We may also want to go river rafting for a day(I was thinking the Patomac, rides start in Barnum WV). It would be a 7 day trip, we live in Indiana.

Let me know what you think, if I should drop one place for another, or your general impressions on the places I have chosen.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Dave

Oct 2005
    Is it me, or is your prospective route a little all over the place? It seems to me, that you would want to hit up Davis, then Gettysburg, and then Cooper's Rock. In any event, I live in Hagerstown, which is right down 15 from Gettysburg. I highly recommend since you will be proximity to hit up Gambrill State Park. You could probably get some good runs in, in the morning, and then come back up to Gettyburg.

I agree with whomever mentioned the side trip to monongahela national forest. I highly, highly recommend hitting up Cranberry Glades. You won't see anything remotely close to it this far south of Canada. Glacier created landscape...just remember your warm clothes!

Oct 2005

Pocahontas County

When you come down 219 towards Snowshoe, just keep driving a few more miles until you get to Elk River Touring Center and see Gil Willis. All the trails behind his place are in the Monongahela National Forest and are free. This is the site of the Wild 100 adventure race. There are a lot of trails for every level.
    Plantation and Lindy are extremely technical trails. I don't know of any divorces, but I suspect the potential. I love these trails because they let me put the spankdown on those with lesser handling skills. Start practicing your trials skills now and you'll be ready by next year.

I ride Mountwood Park regularly. They have 25 miles of great flowing singletrack. Some techincal sections. It's right off of Rt. 50 east of Parkersburg about 12 miles.

Coopers Rock. The trails are pretty wide with lots of rocks. I enjoy riding there.

Raft the Gauley

the unvarnished nonsense
    You need to trim down that itinerary or double your vacation time. Gettysburg will take a day of driving each way plus the day you spend there so I'd drop that idea. To really see the Monongahela National Forest would probably take a week to itself. The drive from the Canaan Valley/Davis area in the northern end to Slatyfork/Marlinton area in the southern end is two hours minimum. When you get off the interstates in WV expect to cover 30-45 miles of road per hour. Rafting Summersville in the fall when they release the dam is something you would never forget. Must ride trails in WV: (Davis area) - Plantation, Canyon Rim (Slatyfork area) - Red Run, Tea Creek Mountain (not to be confused with Tea Creek). I'd hit ERTC and skip Snowshoe altogether. Just some random thoughts of someone who lives in the MNF.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Sep 2005
    I would highly recomend checking out http://grouseland.com/ Its in PA right near the PA /MD line right off RT70. Its also right near the "road kill cafe". They have MTBing on site. Last time I was there it was awsome. I have taken alot of MTB vacations in MD VA PA and WV. It was favorite camp site/ place to ride so far. I am planning on going there for a week next summer. Its only $5 a nigh a person last time I looked. They also have an on site bike shop and a bike shop in the so called town.

Jun 2004
    If it were me, I would focus my trip around the southern part of the state; i.e Davis, Snowshoe, Summersville. The scenery and trails are among the best the state has to offer. As others have mentioned, a rafting trip on the Upper Gauley is an experience that should not be missed; definitely work it in if you can. With the limited amount of time you have, you would be stretching yourself thin to try to include Parkersburg and Morgantown (cooper's is nice but not worth driving the extra 2+ hrs, there are tons of better rides in Canaan Valley, IMHO)

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by marsb
    , Snowshoe, ....... a rafting trip on the Upper Gauley is an experience that should not be missed; .....)
    I would agree. Those are both thing I haver personaly done and LOVED. There are also places that you can camp at and then they will take you rafting in the morning. Companys are vastly different. Some are more "fun" while others are safer. The comapny I used was one of the more sater ones and they would not let us have much fun IE jumping off of larger cliffs and swimming though rapis. Being in water my whole life I didnt like being baby sitted but if I was bringing my kids that would be a different story.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    I'd hit ERTC and skip Snowshoe altogether.
    Agreed - there is no reason to pay to ride in WV.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

white boy extraordinaire

I agree on the rafting companies.....

We had an AWESOME guide with New River Outfitters. This guide knew every nuance of the river, granted it took us until the second day to figure out it was him emitting that outrageous funk, but well worth it. We got to do big rock jumps, went down pillow rock spinning (this was intentional), surfed several rapids and they had a keg waiting for us when we got back, tooo cool. He even dumped us on purpose in a Class III when we hadn't fallen all day. Of course, our boat was pretty strong so when he said go, it was like we started up an outboard motor. Since I' ve gone, I've kept planning on coming back, you really won't be disappointed, the best river I've rafted in the East.
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

Members who have read this thread: 0