WV-Lost River S.P. ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

WV-Lost River S.P. ?

Any riding at Lost River State Park, Hardy County? Or anything worthwhile in the Route 55 corridor between Wardensville and Moorefield?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Lost River WV

Quote Originally Posted by RetroG View Post
    Any riding at Lost River State Park, Hardy County? Or anything worthwhile in the Route 55 corridor between Wardensville and Moorefield?
    This park looks like it's all horseback riding. Is there anything else nearb for mountain biking?

Thanks

Russ

mtbr member
    There are trails in the Washington National Forest. I haven't ridden them yet but I know there's some there. Not sure how popular they are. The ones I saw were during a road ride from Wardensville up to the top of the mountain. I heard there were trails in Lost River SP but I don't know anything about them. Otherwise...the area is pretty shitty for riding mountain bikes. You could ride the corridor up to Mt. Storm and hop over to Davis for hours upon hours (days) worth of epic east coast riding.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Dang....just noticed OP was from 2007...lol...oh well...still relevant info for anyone looking in the future.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    That date slipped by me too. MTBR posts have everlasting life as long as somebody can find it in a search.

I think you are right Nubster. Plenty of terrain in that area, just no bike culture. One of my coworkers works in Moorefield. He rides Harrisonburg, Roanoke and Douthat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    That date slipped by me too. MTBR posts have everlasting life as long as somebody can find it in a search.

I think you are right Nubster. Plenty of terrain in that area, just no bike culture. One of my coworkers works in Moorefield. He rides Harrisonburg, Roanoke and Douthat.
    It sucks...I wish I knew what to do to help change that. There could be tons of places to ride in the area...just few people that do ride. There's a handful of roadies and there's awesome road cycling in the area and I've been a part of that the last few years...but I want to get back into mountain biking more and there's no place here. I have to drive to Davis which is awesome but over an hour away, there's a boring place to ride over by Cumberland Md, Winchester killed their decent trail system...everything else is more than an hour away. I guess it is what it is...

mtbr member
    I'm seeing a few trails here that allow bikes:

West Virginia Trail Inventory

Zoom in to the area just south of Baker and Wardensville, click on the trail and specific information on the trail pops up.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Ha View Post
    I'm seeing a few trails here that allow bikes:

West Virginia Trail Inventory

Zoom in to the area just south of Baker and Wardensville, click on the trail and specific information on the trail pops up.
    Did some nice riding out there about a year and a half ago, criss-crossing the WV/VA border starting at Wolf Gap camping area. I think it was around a 30 mile loop. https://www.flickr.com/photos/single.../shares/wb7oKa

Our loop was roughly this:
    Start at Wolf Gap campground, down the road to 1575 (gated, dead ends and you need to find faint singletrack out to Devils Hole Rd. DH Rd to 1007
    To Bucktail Connector to Halfmoon then I think German Wilson and over to the 1004 (Mill Mt) back to Wolf Gap.

Edit - ignore those auto-generated links, they have nothing to do with these trails. The only link I provide was to some Flickr photos.
    Last edited by riderx; 05-19-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Wow, Going back to that trip, I drove East from Lost River SP 8 miles to Upper Cove Rd. At the top, road crosses VA/WV border and North Mtn Trail. I rode north on North Mtn. for a couple hours. Lots of good stuff up there, all the way to Wolf Gap Rec Area.

Members who have read this thread: 0