Wow! - Found some sweet new trails at Loch Raven today- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Wow! - Found some sweet new trails at Loch Raven today

I hit the Seminary loop today for probably the 1000th time, expecting the same old trails. I parked at the church and began my typical loop towards Providence Rd.

I was cleaning the last hill that leads to Providence Rd, and decided to follow a little singletrack trail off to the left that I saw. Boy, was I surprised: probably some of the most steep and technical singletrack I've seen in a long time. A little rough, but it's clearly a mtb trail. One hill in particular was ridiculously steep, with a steep deep ravine with a nice long drop if you made a mistake.

Anyone familiar with this trail? How long has it been back there?

May 2005
    You made a left? Had you already crossed the stream with all the concrete slabs in it?

Mar 2004
    Yes. There's a rusted pipe on the side, dug up from the stream. I tried climbing that portion right there, it's very very steep and heads back to the fireroad. At that point the new singletrack is right there on the left, leading from the fireroad.

mtbr member
    Yeaa that single track is fun. I believe it has been there about 2 years now. How is that steep ridge section heading down to the stream holding up?

Mar 2004
    That part of the trail is very sketchy. Very difficult walking up. Probably much more fun going down, but sketchy nonetheless.....

mtbr member

I think I remember that

singletrack from 10years ago! From the fireroad, you cross the stream with the slabs, make a left immediately after, cross 2 streams and start climbing up to a little saddle with a little bench on top. It catches the fireroad right after the bench... There used to be a bunch of singletrack that led to the homes behind John Deere but I don't know if they are still used. Heck, when I lived there, all the trails were still legal!

Mar 2004
    I think you're thinking of a different place. The bench is still there - it's real low, and I ride on and off it with little drop-offs and pretend I'm a real North Shore rider.

The trails I'm talking about are a little further along the fire road, toward Providence Rd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperClyde
    I think you're thinking of a different place. The bench is still there - it's real low, and I ride on and off it with little drop-offs and pretend I'm a real North Shore rider.

The trails I'm talking about are a little further along the fire road, toward Providence Rd.
    There are two more singletracks past the fireroad stream. The first is about 10 yards past the stream where you have to climb a steep pitch and then it splits. The left dumps you off to the midway point on Providence Road between the gate at the bottom and John Deere and the right dumps you off right before John Deere. These are the only trails I can think of unless they are relatively brand new singletracks.

Since I haven't been to Loch Raven in forever, how much of it is still open? I remember it before they put the massive structure by the dam (I think it's some sort of clam or mussel preventative thing but I can't be sure).

May 2005
    It's all still open. I haven't been to LR in about a month but will probably be up there at some point in the coming days skulking around in the woods.

The wood bench singletrack is still all there and yes, the original post is about singletrack in the opposite direction. I'm not sure how they would ever close LR with so many riders coming from the surrounding affluent areas. They've been threatening to kill biking in LR since I started riding there in 1993.

Parking is becoming a hassle though, especially on crowded weekends.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    finally got in there and scouted it out, ernesto threw a tree across the fireroad basically ushering you down the aforementioned singletrack. I had no idea any of that was back there, some of the trails are bit difficult to see, as it doesn't look like it gets a whole lot of use.

Thanks for pointing all this out.

Mar 2004
    Hit those funky trails again today. I rode down the "Ravine Trail" - it's definitely rideable, and really cool. Not so fun going up. I'm starting to figure out a good loop back there, so that you don't double over the same trails. Very technical, very challenging, and very cool back there. I highly recommend finding it. Probably about 15 minutes of very good singletrack and brutal climbs and downhills.

Mar 2004
    Hit the trails one more time today. Pretty much covered in leaves. Just about cleaned the whole thing without dabbing, but nevertheless not as much fun with all the leaves. By next summer, this will be a sweet network.

Nov 2006
    I've never seen that part but I know where the stream so I look forward to finding it, thanks!!

Professional Slacker
    Hey Clyde..

How steep and technical are you talking ? I'm guessing more than a cross bike could handle ? I'll most likely be in Harford Co. for a day or two prior to Xmas and was hoping to get some riding in. Since the majority of my Xmas vacation will be spent in O.C. I will be bringing my cross bike. There's not room for 2 bikes and a mtb in O.C. is useless. Any other trails in the Harford Co. area suitable for a cross bike...or any riders up for a *cough* road ride ?

Any other Salisbury/O.C. MD riders up for hooking up for a ride over XMas ?
    Last edited by chili; 11-28-2006 at 06:18 AM.
    Procastinators...Our Leaders of Tomorrow!

I am the owl
    There is plenty of riding at Loch Raven that is sweet on a cross bike, one of the riders we had on Sunday was running one. Another rider GPSed most of the route, you can see it here:
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...Value=1681478#

Fairhill is not to far from Harford Co. and has a lot of trail that should be cross friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by chili

How steep and technical are you talking ? I'm guessing more than a cross bike could handle ? I'll most likely be in Harford Co. for a day or two prior to Xmas and was hoping to get some riding in.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Members who have read this thread: 0