Thread: Winter Riding

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Winter Riding

I honestly haven't gone out to ride in the area during the winter. I'm thinking I'd rather be outside vs. indoors on a trainer.

What are places like Schaeffer Farms like in the winter? I have my 29er HT running 2.4s. Is there really any need in this area for a 29+ or fat?
    OG Ripley v2

My little friends
    You must be hot to be making a post like that now! Winter can be a mudfest with the freeze/thaw cycle. Not sure if Schaeffer remains open during these times. I ride in Frederick, (Shed), and I always try to go early in the day if it is below freezing, so I can ride on rocks and frozen dirt, (or frozen snow), before it warms up and everything gets sloppy. Plenty of fat bikes up here blaze the trails in snow for us 29'ers with tiny tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    You must be hot to be making a post like that now! Winter can be a mudfest with the freeze/thaw cycle. Not sure if Schaeffer remains open during these times. I ride in Frederick, (Shed), and I always try to go early in the day if it is below freezing, so I can ride on rocks and frozen dirt, (or frozen snow), before it warms up and everything gets sloppy. Plenty of fat bikes up here blaze the trails in snow for us 29'ers with tiny tires.
    Not hot, just need to plan and summer is the time to by fat/plus stuff on the cheap. Not waiting to winter when it's back up in price.
    OG Ripley v2

I am the owl
    We ride all winter unless it is muddy or the snow is way too deep. Schaeffer is closed in the winter. Other places need to be frozen or dry.

Global Fat Bike Day 2013 Panorama
    by George Stewart, on Flickr

SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    This and Gabrill, I ride on 2.30 a lot, frozen or packed snow its not a problem The past few winters ive been thinking about a fat bike. But don't want a bike for a few months tops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks, pretty much confirms what I thought. I already have a nice Carver 420TI for screwing around on. Was contemplating a 29+ but was wondering if there was an actual need around here.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I honestly haven't gone out to ride in the area during the winter. I'm thinking I'd rather be outside vs. indoors on a trainer.

What are places like Schaeffer Farms like in the winter? I have my 29er HT running 2.4s. Is there really any need in this area for a 29+ or fat?
    Schaeffer Farms is my home trail (live literally next door to it). They close it for hunting season sometime around November 27th every year.

I'm not an expert with all local trails, but Schaeffer gets a lot of love and attention from our MORE (Mid-Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts) group. Riding in the park during off-season and night are done by special permit. I'm not 100% sure but they might have winter snow rides on select days. I've never done one, so couldn't say for sure. Don't want to give you bad information. However, as far as I know individual riding closes down around Thanksgiving.