In Wilmington/Newark area for a couple weeks, where to ride?- Mtbr.com
    All fat, all the time.

In Wilmington/Newark area for a couple weeks, where to ride?

Hey guys,

Out here from Indiana for work for a couple weeks & brought my bike. Wondering if someone local has info about trail condition etc?
    Hopefully you guys haven't had a ton of rain like we have so far....haven't ridden in 2 weeks!

Thinking White Clay or Middle Run?

Also, any decently long beaches around here? I brought my fat bike so hoping to get an afternoon ride by the water somewhere.

Thanks
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark
    Hey guys,

Out here from Indiana for work for a couple weeks & brought my bike. Wondering if someone local has info about trail condition etc?
    Hopefully you guys haven't had a ton of rain like we have so far....haven't ridden in 2 weeks!

Thinking White Clay or Middle Run?

Also, any decently long beaches around here? I brought my fat bike so hoping to get an afternoon ride by the water somewhere.

Thanks
    Jeff
    No luck on the beaches. Most are either private or bikes are not allowed. Not really worth the effort considering the great single-track within 20 minutes anyway.

You have your choice:

White Clay Creek/Middle Run - 30+ miles of smooth very fast singletrack.
    Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area - Who knows how much single track (at least 50 miles) + lots of doubletrack carriage roads if the weather turns bad.
    Brandywine/Woodlawn Trustees - More technical, lots of rocks and logs. Off route 202 and closer to Wilmington.
    Wissahickon - In Philadelphia. Rocky. You'll need a permit.

Forecast looks a bit iffy for this week. White Clay Middle Run dries out faster than Fair Hill and much faster than Brandywine, but you can ride the carriage roads at Fair Hill in wetter conditions. I believe you can also ride parts of Wissahickon in wetter conditions.

Check out the Delaware Trailspinners website for info on group rides on Tues-Wed-Thurs.

TS

Never trust a fart
    Fair Hill has more durable trail conditions when its wet than White Clay/Middlerun.

Rides happen pretty much everyday of the week at Fair Hill, White Clay/Middlerun, Brandywine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Fair Hill has more durable trail conditions when its wet than White Clay/Middlerun.
    Nope. Not the single track. White Clay/Middle Run dries in half the time of most of the Fair Hill trails. If it has rained, White Clay is a much better bet for being ridable.

T

All fat, all the time.
    Forecast is turning around, hoping I can get a good ride in Saturday. Weekday is going to be iffy unless work cooperates.

Thanks for the info guys.

Are there any decent public beaches closer than Rehoboth? Since I'm from Indiana, I might make a couple hour drive to get an afternoon of beach riding in just for something different.

Smarter Than He Looks
    Cool running into you tonight! Hope you got a good taste of the local trails. There's a group ride on the same system tomorrow night at 5:30 leaving from the Judge Morris parking lot. It's billed as a 'beginner ride' but we break up into 3 or 4 groups from beginner to pretty stinking fast. Also, i fyou want to check out Fair Hill (10 miles west, and a little less groomed, more climbing, roots, etc) there's a group ride Thursday night.

All fat, all the time.
    Thanks for the invite, I may try & make it out there again, it was a ton of fun today.
    By the time I got back to my truck, I forgot the name of the bar you guys mentioned...oh well!

Rode almost 24 miles today, great trails, they flow really well.

All fat, all the time.
    Just rode Fair Hill today (would have liked to do the group ride, but work didn't allow for it), really enjoyed the trail, nice amount of roots & I only saw 1 other rider & a couple in the parking lots.

Does one short section of the trail actually cross into PA, or is my GPS off??....

Members who have read this thread: 0