Williamsburg, VA Trail Recommendation please- Mtbr.com
    Politically Incorrect

Williamsburg, VA Trail Recommendation please

On a family trip to Williamsburg over the Christmas break with my father, son, brother-in-law and nephew. I've done some searching on the Virginia forum and have found Waller Mill, York River and Freedom Park. I'm trying to figure out which trail would be best for the group.

I'll be towing my son on a Trail-a-bike...
    My dad is 63 and likes asphalt/gravel trails. He has about 65% lung capacity but still enjoys to ride...
    My bro-in-law is fit but inexperienced...
    My nephew is 10...

I'm going to continue reading the trail reviews but would really appreciate some recommendations for some MILD singletrack or gravel paths.

Thanks very much!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rider
    I am not a resident of the Williamsburg area but I do like to ride there the most on the eastern part of VA. Here is the run down to the best of my knowledge. Waller Mill is closed to single track but has nice paved trails, just not sure of the distance. York River has a great single track beginner section then an advanced section with a pretty fair amount of dirt/gravel roads along with the paved park roads. Freedom Park is pretty neat, it has very fun and confidence building single track with really cool bridges and crossings, and I also hear they have finished another section of trails out there. There are also fire roads that kind of run through the trails, just not sure on the condition or distance. Another option is New Quarter Park which is relatively less challenging single track with a section of elevated trails and there is also short distance paved roads and trails, and also the park is “Officially” closed during the winter, but you are allowed to park at the entrance and ride in. That’s about it! Plus Williamsburg is very bike friendly; you will see lots of bike lanes to get you around to different places. For the locals I hope that sounds right, but please don’t hesitate to correct me. Also check out EVMA.org (Eastern Virginia Mountain bike Association) for more information on trail locations and conditions.
    07 Redline mono9
    97 Specialized Hardrock AX

My blog http://readyforaredline29er.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Good info from sumluc.

Because of the lack of experience and/or fitness of your group, here are my recommendations:

1. York River State Park. Fire roads, shared use trails, and a less challenging singletrack loop.

2. Freedom Park (listed in mtbr.com reviews as District Park) for fire roads and interconnecting singletrack loops.

3. New Quarter Park for a paved walking/bike trail. There is a nice relatively non-technical singletrack loop, but I wouldn't recommend it for towing a Trail-a-bike. NQP is open on the weekends in the Winter.

I am PM'ing you more detailed information.

Politically Incorrect
    I really appreciate the help!
    THANKS!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Penny,
    With that group you better throw in directions to the closest Hospitals.

Members who have read this thread: 0