wife and mountain biker vacation from colorado- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

wife and mountain biker vacation from colorado

so my wife is looking to vacation to south virginia or the north beach part of NC I would also like to get in some riding.

I go mountain biking 2 times a week year round I ride straight up and straight down 10 to 15 miles each ride I would like to not get bored with flat no tech stuff but any time I mountain bike is a good time.

any help would be great the wife wants to rent a house on the beach with the wild horses, hot tub, pool, with beach very close

thanks !!

mtbr member
    I am assuming you are talking about renting a house in the Sandbridge area of Virginia Beach or the Northern beaches of NC like Duck or Corolla? If so...well....you are screwed dear sir. Grab a beach chair and enjoy yourself. LOL

Either spot you are 3 hours minimum to "mountains" and our mountains are going to seem boring to you regardless. There are more local rides in Williamsburg and other areas that will probably be 1-2 hours away to pound some miles in. Let us know where you end up renting and we'll get you headed in the right direction.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    When is your vacation? Recommend you consider the multiple single track trails around Williamsburg. I can show you around. Remember to factor in traffic it can be tough to get out of the VA Beach area sometimes.

What part of CO are you from? Wife & I are heading to Durango & Fruita next fall on vacation (yes were bringing the mtn bikes).

mtbr member
    May 2014
    IIRC, the only wild horses are going to be found on Assateague (sp?) in VA and in Corrolla and Ocracoke Island in NC. Not much else to do in the Assateague area, and you'd be isolated from damn near everything. It's a good day trip though. I would also recommend you don't visit Virginia Beach unless you're into the cheeseball beach vacation thing...it's a tourist dominated area that's about as tacky as it gets. The outer banks are a short distance from there, and despite being isolated much like Assateague, the outer banks are an amazing place to visit. It's better the farther south and the farther north you go. Kill Devil Hills and the middle of the OBX gets pretty "touristy" like VB....ut if that's your thing, it's still better than VB.

With any of the above, your only real "biking" will likely be beach cruisers. There are no real boardwalks that lend themselves to that sort of thing with the exception of Virginia Beach...and you already know how I feel about that place. JMO, of course. Any real elevation change isn't going to occur until you've left the piedmont, which is a good 2.5 hour drive form VB, and 3-4 from Assateague or the OBX. VA and NC mountains do have some decent trails though, even if you do come from CO.

What time of year are you planning on heading this way? This time of year is probably the worst...basically stick season. Autumn peak was a few weeks ago. Summer gets hot as hell, particularly if you're used to Colorado weather. I'd recommend waiting until next fall...best time to ride, and if you're going to the beach, you may actually see some decent swells that time of year. Grab a surfboard!