White Clay first timer..WOW!- Mtbr.com

Aug 2005

Good job! White Clay first timer..WOW!

Rode White Clay in DE for the first time last Saturday and wow! What a trail system. Very smart builders did it right. I wish all trail builders up here in PA would go ride there first to see that smooth and fast can be technically challenging. There is more to life than rocks and lung bleeding climbs!

Kudos to whoever built and maintains those trails and thanks!

I'd love to come back down and help on trail days if there is a club or other organization that does that.

I'll be back there for sure!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Trail Days

Delaware Trail Spinners are the ones you would contact to help with the trail Here is the web addy. http://www.trailspinners.org/trailmaint.html

Aug 2005
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    On the website there is a great map you can download that shows the entire trail system for Middle Run and White Clay Creek. It shows the climbs and decents and any obstacles.

Sep 2008
    where do you find all these built sections, have not been in a few years

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mhughes600
    where do you find all these built sections, have not been in a few years

It's off the Bryan's Field trail - you can't miss it as it has a big entrance sign and warning - It's small but fun. I think I've fallen off every board there.

mtbr member
    AHHHH Someone else discovered the treasure trove..isn't it just the best ever, I love the flow...one of the smoothest and fastest...and the skills park is a blast...did ya do the "skinny" tree crossing the culvert, whew!! I can't wait to go again....

Ed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    AHHHH Someone else discovered the treasure trove..isn't it just the best ever, I love the flow...one of the smoothest and fastest...and the skills park is a blast...did ya do the "skinny" tree crossing the culvert, whew!! I can't wait to go again....

Ed
    speaking of "treasure trove" how many times did you ride white clay/middle run before you discovered the tunnel that connects them?

mtbr member
    1st time...rode with a group that knows the area well...we looped the whole place...

Ed

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Where's the tunnel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    [deleted]
    Last edited by troutboy; 10-18-2008 at 04:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    [deleted]
    Last edited by troutboy; 10-18-2008 at 04:52 AM.

Smarter Than He Looks
    The tunnel freaks me out! It's dark enough that I can't really see the surface I'm riding on, and the ridges in the pipe give me a kind of 'time tunnel' feel as I ride through.

Really odd, but I find it VERY difficult to hold a straight line.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    All these posts encouraged me. I hadn't been to White Clay and Middle run for long enough. So I rode there Friday.

That tunnel is just what was needed to cross Papermill Rd. It's dark because that's a long transit. The middle is built up and smooth, and there's plenty of headroom unless you are over 6' 3".

I rode as much of the Skill's trail as I ever have, which is not to say much.

I've ridden with folks from rockier areas whose minds would freak out at the superfast rolling singletrack to be ridden there. I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get in the flow and adjust.

mtbr member
    I had the opportunity to ride this place a month ago with some locals (phillt peeps). WOW. I now understand the whole groomed, smooth, bermed stuff. The skills park with the skinnies and see saw was the first I had hit. I wish I had more time to take pictures of the stuff (was in town on business).

I live in WV and joked how the trails have to build in tech stuff and we are used to it because it is the natural environment. Must say I did look for any for sale signs on houses on the road back to where we parked.

It is an awesome system and much kudos and appreciation for anyone who has spent any time working on it!!!!!
    Can you hook that up to your car?.......

May 2008

haha, yes

[QUOTE=whit022000] Must say I did look for any for sale signs on houses on the road back to where we parked.
    QUOTE]

I look for sale signs every time I drive near White Clay and Middle Run. I live 15 minutes away, but it's not close enough. I could go roadie to get there, but auto drivers here are nuts.

mtbr member
    I'm heading out there tomorrow...anybody else???

Ed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I live kinda far from this trail system. On days with a lot of traffic, it takes me at least 60 seconds to get there. Without traffic, maybe 20. Bummer.

I will be out there at 6:00 AM tomorrow morning, like I am every morning.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

May 2008
    Yeah, about noon for a couple hours, me with lady friends starting from the Possum Hill parking lot on Smith Mill Rd. We'll do easy trails at a slowish pace: bit of Whitely, then Smith Mill Rd to MR, Earth Day, tunnel, Bryans again, and done.

mtbr member

What a great day at White Clay...we had such a blast....I went to Fair Hill to meet up with Randy and watch Gunnar race Cyclocross...while there ran into Leslie and saw Forset racing with Larry too...they decided to join us after the cyclocross race and come ride "Clay".../while unloading at the church parking lot we were talking about trail directions and what we wanted to see, well a fellow biker came up with a map and started showing us some routes to take....thats all it took we introduced ourselves and asked her to join us as a guide...So Hope took us on a great, fun, flowing, fast ride....man it was so much fun...the first time I rode Clay I loved it, it's been a year and it still gives ya a super feeling....we did the corkscrew which I had never seen that was an absolute blast!!!! As you can tell from the pictures, I did the skinny across the ravine, that was a trip...Randy laid down in the ravine and looking up clicked the picture...

And guess what...I rode my 26" RUSH...felt a little strange at first, but half way through Gunnar and I were jumping every berm in the pump track like section it was FANTASTIC...then with less than a half mile left to the ride I discovered I had the rear shock locked out...it had a "little" give not much but hey I ride a hardtail so it felt okay to me...this next week or better I'll be riding the RUSH, should be fun, give me a new found appreciation huh?

If ya haven't ridin it...GO RIDE IT YOU WON'T REGRET IT.... Of course it's a lot of fun with someone that knows the route....

More pictures on my flickr (check out signature for link).

Ed

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    I live kinda far from this trail system. On days with a lot of traffic, it takes me at least 60 seconds to get there. Without traffic, maybe 20. Bummer.

I will be out there at 6:00 AM tomorrow morning, like I am every morning.
    Jim?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jim? James A.

May 2008

tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by Sachem6
    Where's the tunnel?
    The tunnel is at the end of Earth Day trail, goes under Paper Mill Rd, and joins the low point of the Bryans Field loop downhill of the Mason-Dixon marker. It's much safer than crossing the road at grade; thank you to the person who created this hiker/biker passage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Gordothor,
    Thanks. I've been that way many times but never noticed a tunnel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    Jim? James A.
    Hows it take you 20 seconds to get to white clay?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    20 seconds to get to Middle Run anyway . . . ..

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Gordothor]The tunnel is at the end of Earth Day trail, goes under Paper Mill Rd, and joins the low point of the Bryans Field loop downhill of the Mason-Dixon marker/QUOTE]

Me & a friend went thru the tunnel for the first time yesterday....Pretty cool cause it was already dark from the clouds outside...We could barely see the terrain ahead of us...I was just shoooting for the light at the end of the tunnel !!...Funny how I've been on that trail a bunch of times and never even noticed a small branch leading off from the main trail...Its definitely much safer to go thru the tunnel then to cross at the guard rail ...

May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vyper005

Funny how I've been on that trail a bunch of times and never even noticed a small branch leading off from the main trail...Its definitely much safer to go thru the tunnel then to cross at the guard rail ...

The tunnel improvement is new, and was done unofficially by local individuals. I have heard the state DOT doesn't like it, but might tolerate it because of its safety value. It's a benefit to hikers and bikers, so I hope it's used and maintained. BTW, excellent tunnels like this are also used in Fair Hill.
    Yes, it's dark. Be sure to remove shades before entering.

mtbr member
    A few pics of the mysterious tunnel at White Clay...Taken today (11/9/08)
    Much more fun & safe than crossing Papermill rd at the guardrail...

This the backside of Bryans Field Trail (along Papermill rd.)

This is the short trail off of the Bryans Field Trail leading to the tunnel...

The tunnel entrance...Looks kinda small doesnt it ??

Up close at the entrance...

Like they say...The light at the end of the tunnel....

The small bridge on the other side of the tunnel...

mtbr member
    I'll add another tunnel photo from our trip to White Clay yesterday. Btw, did you happen to see us? Group of 3 riders. Had a blast there.

May 2008
    Nice pix. I'll be there tunelling next weekend.

mtbr member
    Nice picture Eujinc...c-mine on my flickr...it was a blast as usual, c-ya tomorrow night.

Ed

mtbr member
    Nice pictures on your flickr site. The one of me coming down that ramp on the Skills Trail is going to be my new background . Btw, that's you in the picture above taking a picture of the tunnel. Moments before your foot slid into the water.

The rest of the pictures I took from yesterday are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/eujinc/W...y=nVuTVkrhENM#

mtbr member
    Cant wait to hit this next time I visit family in Dover. Sounds like it is not too far from Wilmington.

Bicycle rider
    White Clay vids from this past weekend - http://www.youtube.com/user/boosted123

Bicycle rider

Don't let this happen to you!

Lucky it wasn't me
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0