White Clay/Fair Hill/Patapsco Tire Setup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

White Clay/Fair Hill/Patapsco Tire Setup

The trails at White clay are very well maintained, and I only ride them when they are dry. I just got a new wheelset, and the LBS suggested that I ride the Continental X-kings at White Clay. I am finding them a little sketchy on some of the turns and uphill rooty areas. I haven't goteen to the new rock garden yet, but I imagine that they would not fair well. They really struggle getting any traction at Patapsco.

What tires/ pressures are you running at White Clay? Fair Hill? Patapsco?

Any suggestions on a multi purpose tire for those 3 locations?

mtbr member
    Nevegals or High Rollers. They work in everything, and you can carve all you want and they won't let go. . Unless you're racing XC and are super worried about rolling resistance, I really don't see a reason to run low knobby/hard pack stuff like the X-kings at all in the mid atlantic.

And maybe I'm just jaded and don't trust most LBSs (which is true), but unless you're personal friends with the mechanic/salesperson at the shop, its a good chance they just unloaded tires on you that they couldn't sell to get rid of them.

One Gear
    They look worse than the Mountain Kings, which I hated. Very sketchy and wouldn't hold a line in a turn. I rode then in Patapsco twice and dumped them. YMMV

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The X kings may very well be a perfect tire for a racer, but I consider myself average on the bike, and these tires dont work for me. I am coming off of Kenda Telonix, which grab everything, but may be a little too aggressive for the conditions. I guess I am looking for the happy medium. Are you running the nevegals tubeless?
    I am agreeing with you on the LBS guy. I have struggled to find a shop that has the consummer's best interest in mind. I would have hoped that after buying a set of I9s, they wouldnt gouge me on a set of tires...
    Race Pace (ellicott city) seemed like a well stocked shop, and provided good advice, and I just came across Henry's in Newark (by McGLynns Pub). They seemed knowledgable.

Any others shops?

Helmetless Crasher
    The trails vary a lot depending on rain fall. Was at WCC last weekend and it was dry as a bone hard pack. I was using Rocket Rons, which did quite well, but a shorter knob tire like a Racing Ralph would have been a tad more stable in turns and quicker overall.

Was at Patpsco the weekend before that, and it was a bit soft/damp - the Rocket Rons were about perfect.

A big knob tire like a Nevegal or ExCavator or Hans Dampf will generally hook-up in just about anything, but there is a price to be paid in rolling resistance and weight - if that matters to you (does to me!). I run ExCavators in the winter sloppy months and they conquer all.

But right now, I am totally loving a very light tire with very low rolling resistance that hooks-up well in everything (TL-ready 2.25 Rocket Ron, tubeless @ 25/30 psi).
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Tubeless Ignitors F/R have been flawless for me.
    Did i just jinx myself?

Smarter Than He Looks
    On a 29 Hardtail singlespeed I'm VERY happy with a 2.4 Nobby Nic up front and a 2.25 Racing Ralph in the back (tubeless @ 25-28psi). My 29 HT 1x9 has a Rampage up front and Slant 6 in the rear. OK, but will be switching to the Schwalbe set-up when these tries wear.

I'm very happy with Matt @ Henry's. He worked on my bikes as a mechanic at another shop and I followed him when he bought Henry's this winter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Great info, thanks. While I would love something faster on the straight runs at WCC, I really cant carry too much speed into any of the tree weaves or switchbacks, espcially if there are tree roots involved. I also found the new redd park rock garden yesterday, and want something with a little more grab for that area.

I appreciate the advice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skeltah View Post
    Did i just jinx myself?
    Also running tubeless Ignitors at Patapsco (EXO version), and really like the traction, handling and speed. Running 28/32 F/R on F/S bike.

One Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by blue42blue42 View Post
    Race Pace (ellicott city) seemed like a well stocked shop, and provided good advice

Any others shops?
    Haven't been to Henry's, but I've been to most of the shops in and around Baltimore, Columbia, some of Washington, and VA. I've never found anyplace with more experience and bike tech support than Racepace. They all ride in Patapsco and many of the other popular places around the area. On the rare occasion that I need help from a shop, I go there.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Update; I rode White Clay on Sunday. Hit a small 1 foot bump, and landed with a front tire explosion. The seal between the tire and rim let loose. Luckily, no rim damage. Took it back to LBS, who put a Mountain king on the front. Much better after first ride. Probably will upgrade the back wheel and throw away the x king.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeltah View Post
    Did i just jinx myself?
    Just got back from a ride there this morning. Running Ignitors tubeless with 27psi front and back. The certainly can handle anything that WC/Middle Run has to offer as far as roots and/or rocks. Love the way you can rail a turn on them.
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

mtbr member
    Race Pace in Columbia is decent from my experience, and when I lived down in Bowie I really liked Family Bike Shop in Crofton, they're the #1 shop I recommend in MD. Bike Doctor is absolute crap. (All of them). About the only thing I go to a shop for now is to remove/install fork races, I buy pretty much everything online. I know, I know, support your LBS, but I don't see a point taking my bike to someone who knows less about it than me, and is going to charge me out the ass.

I'm 6'0" 215 lbs and run High Rollers with tubes pretty much everywhere on the East Coast on my XC/AM setups. I run Minions on my DH bike. If I ever get below 190 maybe I'll give a crap about rolling resistance, haha. I've raced on Nevs before (when I was a tad lighter) and they have done fine though, especially when its sloppy.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've had good results with Panaracer Rampages on my rigid SS at White Clay and Fair Hill when I need something with some grip. Still shopping around for tires for the geared squishy, but I'm leaning towards Ignitors or Ignitor/Crossmark.

+1 on the new Henry's. Matt is a good guy.

mtbr member
    Not to jump on your thread. But any SS guys give advice for 29er gear setup for Fair Hill race course tomorrow!!!! 32x17 on right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My Maxxis Ardents handled Fair Hill really well today. I was impressed!
    Last edited by SasquatchSC; 06-02-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Made it down to race pace. We talked, and now I am rolling 2.4 mountain kings on the front and 2.2 mountain kings on the back. This is something I hadn't heard before. Wider tire on front for control, less resistance in the back.

I like it so far.

Great posts on advice. Most of what I heard is people are running a little more aggressive pattern around here. Racers might consider the lower treads, but average joes want traction.

Now if I can just dial in my 1x10 ratios, I'd be money.
    Last edited by blue42blue42; 06-03-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Smarter Than He Looks
    On a related note, a guy showed up for our regular Wednesday ride this week with his rigid SS C-dale with Small Block 8s front and rear. Very bad choice; we got a lot of rain Tuesday, so while the trails were only damp Wednesday night, the roots and bridges were wet and very slippery. Small Block 8 guy very quickly volunteered to sweep.

mtbr member
    Made it down to race pace. We talked, and now I am rolling 2.4 mountain kings on the front and 2.2 mountain kings on the back. This is something I hadn't heard before. Wider tire on front for control, less resistance in the back.

I like it so far.

Great posts on advice. Most of what I heard is people are running a little more aggressive pattern around here. Racers might consider the lower treads, but average joes want traction.

Now if I can just dial in my 1x10 ratios, I'd be money.
    What are you running for 1x10?
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

mtbr member
    32x17 for the Sport Win today! 29 Riders out there. It was a good showing. The race course was awesome! The Mid-Atlantic Super Series

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I am running 32t up front. 11-36 in back. Awesome for white clay, patapsco, not so good. I walked up a few climbs

mtbr member
    I am running 32t up front. 11-36 in back. Awesome for white clay, patapsco, not so good. I walked up a few climbs
    Look into getting a 30T up front, I did. Gives you an extra gear on tough climbs.
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had to make a choice, either go up to a 30t, or offer flex at 32t to 36t. I would have liked to get a chain guide that could go from 30 to 34, but nothing would work on my rig.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hey y'all - I just wanted to bump this as I'm in the market for new tires this spring.
    I'm not new to biking, but I am new to bike upgrades and could use your advice for a new set of tires (27.5x2.1 - 2.35) for the White Clay / Middle Run area of Delaware.

Any suggestions for a tire with excellent grip on the more lighter side? I'm interested in the Nevegals Pro. But I'm also open to other suggestions. I have the stock Maxxis Ikon on them and I never really liked them much.

Open to suggestions!

mtbr member
    My current XC set are Vittoria 2.35 Mezcal up front @ 20psi and 2.2 Gato in the rear @ 23psi They provide plenty of grip and are quick on the WC/MR trails. Durable, though Iím no thrasher, and easy tubeless setup.
    2018 YT Jeffsy 29 AL
    2014 Trek Stache 6
    1992 Trek Antelope 730
    (Deceased) 2015 GT Zaskar 29 Sport

Members who have read this thread: 8