White Clay/Fair Hill Condition check- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

White Clay/Fair Hill Condition check

Just wanted to ask if anyone know what to expect this weekend? Looking to ride someplace, will too wet in north NJ.

Thanks!

Smarter Than He Looks
    I don't know what to tell you, Bob. Seems like everytime it's almost dry enough to ride, we get more rain.

According to the extended forecast, NEXT weekend might be ok.

mtbr member
    Wet, slick and muddy. It does dry out there fairly quickly, but where there's deep mud will remain that way for quite a while.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What does it look like for this Saturday (1/5) for White Clay, Middle Run?

Anyone riding there Saturday that wouldn't mind showing me around?

Thanks, Mike
    Mike

mtbr member
    Mike, the area has had like 9 inches of rain for December. The trails are likely too soft to ride. Although it hasn't rained in about a week now, the trails probably could use another week or two of drying. I haven't been down there in over a month because of all the rain. I miss riding there! Hopefully Jan will be a dryer month.

--Mark

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Anyone able to give an update to trail conditions?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    According to the Trailspinners forum on yahoo, Fair Hill seems to be in good shape. As long as everything is freezing you should be ok no matter where you go.

Smarter Than He Looks
    We've got a small group riding Judge Morris and Middle Run tomorrow (Saturday) at 9am. I think it may be deer season at White Clay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker
    We've got a small group riding Judge Morris and Middle Run tomorrow (Saturday) at 9am. I think it may be deer season at White Clay.
    Correct. Tomorrow is last day of January shotgun season. Whitely Farms loop and Cart Path/Boundary Trail should be open. Judge Morris, Bryan Field and David English loops will likely be closed. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to access Cart Path/Boundary Trail w/o traversing busy roads with the David English loop closed.

If trail conditions are acceptable and the barriers are still up Sunday, ignore them. It just means Park personnel did not get time to take them down.

Tim S

Smarter Than He Looks
    Judge Morris has been bow hunting only this season, and as such has not been closed to other activities...hopefully that's the case for tomorrow as well. If not we'll just head straight to Middle Run.

Quote Originally Posted by troutboy
    Correct. Tomorrow is last day of January shotgun season. Whitely Farms loop and Cart Path/Boundary Trail should be open. Judge Morris, Bryan Field and David English loops will likely be closed. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to access Cart Path/Boundary Trail w/o traversing busy roads with the David English loop closed.

If trail conditions are acceptable and the barriers are still up Sunday, ignore them. It just means Park personnel did not get time to take them down.

Tim S

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker
    How was the ride ?? Trail conditions ??

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by vyper005
    How was the ride ?? Trail conditions ??
    The trails are in great shape (frozen hard!), and will likely stay that way until we get some precipitation or a thaw. The new Chapel Hill trail is finally hard/dry enough to enjoy and is a great addition to the Middle Run system. I'm fat and slow and still had fun!

If the weather holds I might go out again today after church, maybe over to Possum Hill for a Brians's Field/Whitely Farm/David English loop. Let me know if you wanna ride. Vyper, check your PM for my cell#.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    any updates with the rains this week?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    any updates with the rains this week?
    Yep - wayyyyy to wet to ride, except...

Forecast for Newark for tonight is a low of 26 degrees. Might be enough to freeze the trails for a VERY early morning short ride tomorrow before it thaws.

Temps predicted to hit freezing at 0100 and drop to 26 before warming after sunrise.

But don't let me be the one to catch you out there after the thaw starts tomorrow morning One group did some serious damage after the last rain

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    ok, so not worth the drive for me, then. Do you think they will be drained by Monday?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't plan on being able to go there anytime soon unless there is a long cold spell or it doesn't rain for about 3 weeks (not in the forecast). It's not just the recent rains that are the problem. It's all the above average rain we've had this winter. 4.5" so far for this month (the average for this month is like 2.5"). Anyway, I rode there a few weeks ago when it was frozen solid (first time since early nov.) and there was a lot of trail damage in some areas with big tire ruts from people riding the trails wet and soft. People should stay away for a good long while. Lets not trash what some people spent years planning and building. Just my 2 cents. --Mark
    Last edited by marks_bike; 02-15-2008 at 08:28 PM.

I'm a bottom feeder...
    agreed....please stay away for awhile. I might have to do some urban assult riding....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    understood, just checking

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    I wouldn't plan on being able to go there anytime soon unless there is a long cold spell or it doesn't rain for about 3 weeks (not in the forecast). It's not just the recent rains that are the problem. It's all the above average rain we've had this winter. 4.5" for just this month (the average for this month is like 2.5"). Anyway, I road there a few weeks ago when it was frozen solid (first time since early nov.) and there was a lot of trail damage in some areas with big tire ruts from people riding the trails wet and soft. People should stay away for a good long while. Lets not trash what some people spent years planning and building. Just my 2 cents. --Mark
    I rode there a couple weeks ago too and is was probably the best conditions I've seen in a while; cool temps , rock hard trails, and almost no people. I did see some of the damage as well and wonder what kind of pleasure people get out of riding in conditions that cause it. Bought a new bike last weekend and I'm going freakin' nuts staring at it in the corner. Never though I'd say it , but I'd welcome a week of below freezing temps. right now.

mtbr member

trails taking a beating

went out one morning when it was frozen and could't believe the beating the trails have taken this winter. It's hard to abstain from riding but white clay and middle run is so good it's worth the wait. It just doesn't dry out this time of year. Also for people that don't do trail maintenance (like me) having less of an impact is the next best thing.
    Steady as she goes

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

riding conditions

Any updates on Fair hill or White Clay conditions for this weekend?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, a sloppy mess at both places with more precip due tomorrow afternoon/evening and little to no chance of freezing.

Even the gravel double track at Fair Hill is wet and soft in many places.

Road ride, rail trail, or Jersey Pine Barrens are your only riding options near here this weekend.

Tim S

Members who have read this thread: 0