A whirlwind roadtrip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

A whirlwind roadtrip

Well I loaded up the bike,camping gear and cooler just to see what I could see, and I saw plenty.
    Day one Mt. Rogers-Taylors Valley/Va Creeper/Beartree
    Day two GWNF-trails & roads between Todd Lake & Camp Todd/Braley's
    Day three Davis-Canaan Valley trails
    Day three Huttonsville-Whitmeadow
    Day four Tea Creek/Cranberry-Bannock Shoals/Pocohontas/FS roads
    I really didn't do enough riding at any of them to do them justice, especially Davis, (but I did eat my only real meals at Sirani's & the Sawmill and saw Blackwater Falls). I was humbled by the attempted climb up Wild Oak from Camp Todd and need to get in alot better shape before hitting GWNF in earnest. I also had the same deflating experience trying to climb Tea Mountain trail from the Tea Creek campground. I gave the Boundary trail off Bannock a shot, but I just started laughing at how far this trail was above my skill level. Decided to turn around before breaking something.
    All in all the scenery between Staunton and Richwood was spectacular, both on and off the road. It nice to know a little more about these places before taking my next trip. I guess the only downside of the trip was seeing all the dried up rivers, which a hiker aptly described as "stone gutters".

Because I am !
    Wow! 1tm, sounds like you saw some nice countryside and rode some awesome trails. Did you get any pics? Up Tea Creek Mtn. would be a feat for anyone. It would be a
    whole lot more difficult than Bannock Shoals. Did you make it to that neat stream
    crossing up Bannock Shoals? That's a pretty nice challenge and believe it still has water
    in it .

You'll have to come over sometime when some of us can give you a tour of some of
    those areas. If there was one of them in particular that you want to try again before
    the snow flies, let us know. Maybe we can meet up there and get in another ride before
    the snow flies, which is being predicted early this year.

Sounds like the trip at least inspired you to give it another shot....

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I rode up to the top of Bannock Shoals and planned to take the Boundary Trail to Tea creek. Boundary was the most beautiful section of trail I've ever seen,but it was out of my league. It is hard to imagine just how technical this stuff is until you actually see it. I regretted having to turn around, but I felt like it would be wise to stick to the easy trails since I was solo. The BS grade was just right for my climbing condition but I walked the stream crossing. Kennison looked like one I'd like to tackle if the trailhead on 39 is indicative of the rest of it.
    The Davis/Seneca/Spruce Knob area is already calling my name for a return trip. I'd almost drive back just to see the Rocks again. The number of trails in that area is mind-boggling.
    As far as meeting up with you sometime, that would be great but I'm not too good at planning in advance. I ususally just look for 3-4 days of nice weather and then roll.

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
    As far as meeting up with you sometime, that would be great but I'm not too good at planning in advance. I ususally just look for 3-4 days of nice weather and then roll.
    Hey that's my MO. Watch for a good weekend, check the weather on Thursday night and
    Friday and take off to do some riding on Sat./Sun. Any of those occur, drop me a PM. I
    can usually drive to nearly any of those places on the morning of. It's like a two and 1/2
    hour drive to Davis, about the same to Spruce Knob, and about 3 1/2 to Slatyfork / Tea
    Creek area.

I just described a loop, under Pocahontas Trail in trail reviews that I bet you would like.
    Check it out. And Kennison Mtn. is nothing on top like it is just off Rt.39. It's just plain
    beautiful up there on top. We seldom climb the mountian. You can drive just past that
    parking area on Rt39, drive up Dogway Road / FS road to the gate. Park there and take
    Frosty Gap up to Kennison Mtn. Trail, go left on Kennison and ride it till you come out on
    an old grassy fire road. Go left there and fly down that fire road back to Dogway, and
    ride a few miles climbing up Dogway back to your vehicle. I think that is about a 9 mile
    loop.

I have actually gone past the first grassy fire road to the next one, take a right on the
    second fire road, the another right at the next intersection and you will cross the spot
    you crossed earlier (a figure 8), then same description as above from that point. This
    will add a few miles to that 9 mile loop.

I'm famous for making those spur of the moment decisions myself .

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

Feb 2006
    GWNF has some burner climbs huh? Living and riding in this area for the last couple of years is really helping me improve dramtically. It is amazing how this area has bred some top riders, especially Harrisonburg. We often joke about what is in the water over there.

Glad you had such a killer trip! I wish I could take off and hit up all those spots back to back. But alas, stuck here day dreaming about it at work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    GWNF has some burner climbs huh?
    I live in WNC and do a fair amount of climbing on the Blue Ridge Parkway and various trails nearby, so it's not like I'm in terrible shape, but I wasn't prepared for the GW climbs. Our trails tend to have long & gradual climbs (usually on connecting forest service roads). The steep sections are usually short and make up a very small % of the rides. From what I saw, GW climbs are long,steep and on singletrack.. Brutal combination !

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ODN
    Wish I would have read your Pocohontas review before my trip. Would have been perfect. Have you ever tacked on Birch Log trail (250) ,Little Fork (242),Rough Run (213), Lick Branch (212) or North-South (688) to Kennison Mountain ?

Feb 2006
    There are some brutal climbs down around the Brevard/Pisgah area of WNC too! I know Dicky gets some seriously good training riding those trails regularly.

Members who have read this thread: 0