Where should I go?- Mtbr.com
    Rocks Rock

Where should I go?

I'm in Manassas again and have a few days off this coming week, Sun., Mon., Tues. and part of Wed. Thinking about heading south aways for some warmer riding. Maybe Richmond or even further. Any suggestions... technical trails I shouldn't miss? I could drive to a different trail in a different place every day.
    Am I being kind?

arbiter
    Aug 2005

Hop, skip, and jump.

You are very close to very good riding already. If I were you I'd stop by Harrisonburg VA. Tons of good stuff, rarely ridden. Asheville is going to be snowy and wet this weekend, so I'd wait for better weather. Go to www.shenandoahbicycle.com for information and links. If you stop by the shop they will show you all you need to know. Words!

Rocks Rock

Perfect

That should be a great Sun. PM ride.
    Tanx Mucho
    Do you know anyone that will be riding Sun. that might be willing to show me around?
    Am I being kind?

Rocks Rock
    I am going to be in Harrisonburg tomorrow, Sunday only. Can someone give me directions to a trail head I like technical rocky trails and don't mind climbing. Six pack downhill looks interesting. All I can find for directions is that it is off 33.
    Am I being kind?

Dec 2004

Try Gambrill

Quote Originally Posted by impdude
    I am going to be in Harrisonburg tomorrow, Sunday only. Can someone give me directions to a trail head I like technical rocky trails and don't mind climbing. Six pack downhill looks interesting. All I can find for directions is that it is off 33.
    SixPack is on Massanuttem n Ski Resort, may require a pass.

Gambrill is closer and more suitable for a day trip

Directions: From Washington: Take I-270 north to Frederick, which transitions into U.S. Route 15, and continue to Route 40 west (West Patrick Street). Exit to the I-70 west/Route 40 split, bear right and continue on Route 40. Turn right on Gambrill Park Road and follow one mile to the Rock Run Area entrance on your left to reach the campground. Continue on Gambrill Park Road to reach the trail parking lot and to the top of the mountain to reach the scenic overlooks, pavilions and the Tea Room. From Baltimore: Take I-70 west to Frederick and follow to U.S. Route 15 and then to Route 40 west exit. Follow Route 40 west to Gambrill Park Road on your right as above. From Pennsylvania: Take U.S. 15 south to Frederick. Take Route 40 west exit and follow to Gambrill Park Road on your right as above. From Hagerstown: Take I-70 east to Myersville Maryland Route 17 exit (exit #42). Turn left on Route 17 and follow through Myersville to Route 40. Turn right on Route 40 and continue to Gambrill Park Road on your left. Turn left and proceed one mile to the park. Gambrill State Park c/o Cunningham Falls State Park 14039 Catoctin Hollow Road Thurmont, Md 21702 (301) 271-7574 Call 1-888-432-CAMP(2267) for reservations

Description: All trails begin at the Trailhead Parking Lot on the east side of Gambrill Park Road (about half-way up the mountain between the Rock Run area and the High Knob area, on the right side of the road). All trails are day use only – there is no overnight parking. Park hours are 8 a.m. to sunset, April to October, and 10 a.m. to sunset, November to March. All Maryland State Forests and Parks are trash free. Please carry out what you carry in. All trails, except the Catoctin Trail, are loop trails, and return to the Trailhead Lot. All trails, except the White Oak Trail, are open for hiking, mountain biking, and horseback riding. Please respect other trail users.

Hope you got this in time.

Rocks Rock

Love Gambrill

Thanx John!!!!!!!!!!!! I am headed for Pisgah NC tonight so am looking for a ride on the way down there. That's why Harrisonburg. Gambril is my kind of riding, check pix I've posted on this site. Thanx again.
    Am I being kind?

Members who have read this thread: 0