mtbr member
    May 2005

Where to ride this Friday?

Want to go on Friday, Schaeffer is closed (and has been muddy for a while). Where is the best place close to schaeffer that will have acceptable conditions? I'm assuming Seneca will be muddy. How about Black Hill? Any other recommendations in the area?

Thanks.

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    Black Hills will usually have the best conditions of the local cluster of trails (Schaeffer, Little Bennett, Hoyles Mill, Seneca Creek State Park, Seneca Greenway/Lower Magruder), assuming you stay on the south side of the park road (i.e. Hard Rock Trail). The north side (Cabin Branch) is lower and muddier. I think conditions may not be conducive to trail riding unless you go out early while the ground is still frozen. Temps are supposed to reach the high 40s by the afternoon, which will turn the trails into quagmire.

I won't be getting out until the afternoon, so I'm putting my slick tires on and sticking to the roads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcgonig
    Want to go on Friday, Schaeffer is closed (and has been muddy for a while). Where is the best place close to schaeffer that will have acceptable conditions? I'm assuming Seneca will be muddy. How about Black Hill? Any other recommendations in the area?

Thanks.
    How about Gambrils?? That's where I'm planning to head. Good drainage and LOTS of rocks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks, I'll probably go to Black Hill (its only a few minutes away). Hopefully it will be dry/frozen enough to be fun.

-Jim

mtbr member

Road Ride

I plan on hitting the BWI trail loop which is 11 miles of paved trail. I hear the temps are to get into the 50's( will see ). I'll hit that loop maybe twice on a road bike. I just don't feel like dealing with the so so off road trail conditions at this time.
    When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
    Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
    Till I get to the bottom and I see you again...

Helter Skelter

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Black Hill was pretty good. Mostly frozen or dry singletrack with places with snow. Just FYI.

Members who have read this thread: 0