where to ride and camp in west virginia- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

where to ride and camp in west virginia

A buddy of mine and i are looking to spend a weekend in west virginia camping and riding. we'll be coming from charlottesville, va and anything under 5 hours distance is reasonable. neither of us have any idea where to go but wanted to hit up the countries #1 mtb destination.

we went to douthat last weekend and had an f'ing blast. if there isn't anything that beats that, we may end up going back there.

anyways, suggestions are Much appreciated!

thanks,
    chris

Bikes & Beer
    May 2005
    I live in Morgantown and we have a couple local spots, Coopers rock and bakers ridge are the best. I dont know about the camping since i live 10 minutes from both spots. Check out the coopers rock website: http://www.coopersrockstateforest.com/. Bakers ridge is okay but isnt marked so its possible to get lost but most of the trails loop back around. Coopers rock is your best bet though, you could spend days out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens16
    A buddy of mine and i are looking to spend a weekend in west virginia camping and riding. we'll be coming from charlottesville, va and anything under 5 hours distance is reasonable. neither of us have any idea where to go but wanted to hit up the countries #1 mtb destination.

we went to douthat last weekend and had an f'ing blast. if there isn't anything that beats that, we may end up going back there.

anyways, suggestions are Much appreciated!

thanks,
    chris

In Charleston, a little known jem is Kanawha State Forest. I go back "home" when I can to ride out there. The camping there is about $17/night. Also you might want to PM Lowcel for a tour of the place.

I did a campout in Coopers in June and a friend of mine wants to go back in Sept. You'd be welcome to join us. Let me know.

Jul 2004
    Try Canaan Valley sometime, it's wide open, beautiful country. Check with Blackwater Bikes in Davis for info. They have an on-going thursday after-work ride and are a fun bunch.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrider
    I live in Morgantown and we have a couple local spots, Coopers rock and bakers ridge are the best. I dont know about the camping since i live 10 minutes from both spots. Check out the coopers rock website: http://www.coopersrockstateforest.com/. Bakers ridge is okay but isnt marked so its possible to get lost but most of the trails loop back around. Coopers rock is your best bet though, you could spend days out there.
    Can you ride on all the trails at Cooper's Rock? I have a friend who lives near there, and she said they were all hiking trails, and they didn't let you ride bikes on them.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmCosmo
    Can you ride on all the trails at Cooper's Rock? I have a friend who lives near there, and she said they were all hiking trails, and they didn't let you ride bikes on them.
    I am not aware of any trails at Coopers that you CANT ride on (except maybe the Overlook)...

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens16
    neither of us have any idea where to go but wanted to hit up the countries #1 mtb destination.

suggestions are Much appreciated!

thanks,
    chris
    Pocahontas County, WV

Loose, sketchy, rocky, rooty singletrack for miles. Descents that can pucker your know what and test the limits of hydro discs and forearms alike. 70% of our county is National Forest and boasts hundreds of miles of singletrack. Road enthusiasts will love riding the "Parkway Section" of the Highland Scenic Highway (#150) which runs through the Cranberry Wilderness and the heart of the Tea Creek mountain biking area. Yeah, I'm biased since I live here, but IMO, it's arguably a "#1 mtb destination".

Douthat is only about an hour away for us, so you could swing both in a trip. Douthat tests the cardio in those killer climbs, and rewards you with super fast sweeping downhills. This part of WV punishes you with loose, rooted, rocky, climbs and rewards you with steep, loose descents sure to cure any Atheism in your being. You just gotta know where to look for these rides. The most frequently publicized rides are not the true gems of the area.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    Pocahontas County, WV

Loose, sketchy, rocky, rooty singletrack for miles. Descents that can pucker your know what and test the limits of hydro discs and forearms alike. 70% of our county is National Forest and boasts hundreds of miles of singletrack. Road enthusiasts will love riding the "Parkway Section" of the Highland Scenic Highway (#150) which runs through the Cranberry Wilderness and the heart of the Tea Creek mountain biking area. Yeah, I'm biased since I live here, but IMO, it's arguably a "#1 mtb destination".

Douthat is only about an hour away for us, so you could swing both in a trip. Douthat tests the cardio in those killer climbs, and rewards you with super fast sweeping downhills. This part of WV punishes you with loose, rooted, rocky, climbs and rewards you with steep, loose descents sure to cure any Atheism in your being. You just gotta know where to look for these rides. The most frequently publicized rides are not the true gems of the area.
    HEY!....u'r back. How was the gathering? Sorry I miss'ed it. I DO plan to be there next yr. About Douthat, I've thought about doing a campout there to ride sometime. Interested?

Jul 2004
    Three syllables: Wa-to-ga.

Say it with me... Wa-to-ga... Watoga.

Probably the best place to camp in the area aside from Tea Creek (ask davis about that). Beautiful camping area... nice facilities... and epic biking within an hour in any direction (Slatyfork, Snowshoe, Cranberry, Douthat). If you get bored of trashing yourself on the singletrack you can always make a day or two or three out of the 75+ mile Greenbrier River Trail which runs directly through the campground.. or go caving... or ride the Cass Senic Railroad.

Nov 2004
    Definatly anything in or around Pocahantas counry.Slatyfork,Snowshoe,etc.Check out dirtbean.com
    They might be able to give you some leads.

Because I am !
    pipedream said it, Watoga State Park! Pocahantas County WV.... Awesome trails throughout.

Members who have read this thread: 0