Where to live in DC metro?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Where to live in DC metro?

Hi Folks,

I'm starting a job in DC (near Union Station) this Summer, and I'm looking for advice on where to live. Ideally, I'd like somewhere where I can bike commute, be near a metro and be near biking trails (ideally riding from my house.)

I don't care about resale values, school quality, etc. Any advice?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

I live in Rockville and it works great for me

Quote Originally Posted by Economer
    Hi Folks,

I'm starting a job in DC (near Union Station) this Summer, and I'm looking for advice on where to live. Ideally, I'd like somewhere where I can bike commute, be near a metro and be near biking trails (ideally riding from my house.)

I don't care about resale values, school quality, etc. Any advice?
    Thanks.
    I'm 5 blocks from the White Flint Metro, which is on the red line and a straight shot to Union Station.

I live less than a mile from Beach Drive, which is where all the fast roadie training rides start from (6 o'clock on Tues/Thurs, 7:00 and 10:00 on Sat, 8:30 on Sunday, etc.). Beach drive is also a good commuter route, using either the road (which has low traffice) or the bike path along side it.

Shaffer Farms and Patapsco are less than 40 minutes drive. Gambrill/Watershed is only about 5-10 minutes more.

This spot has worked out ideally for me, given it's in an urban envorionment. I used to live in Alexandria, and the options were less from there...

mtbr member
    I live in Bowie, MD - there is park and ride close to where I live, roughly 2 miles. You can park your bike there or load it on the Metro bus bike rack to New Carrollton Metro.

Happy Trails
    There was a good thread on this same topic last week from a guy in Santa Fe NMex moving here, too... find it and check that out for some more info. Arlington (bikearlington.com) is a great commuter area but not so much for mountain bikes. There is some great riding in the area, though. Here is a great link on locations to ride:

http://www.thebicycleescape.com/wheretoride.html

Especially check out the Frederick watershed video... miles and miles an miles with 800feet of multi-trail accessible elevation... all at same time you see wrong-side-of-40 roadies in full aerobic deprivation cranking up Gambrill Park for the payoff down Highland School Road into Myersville (err that would be me); uber-custom full rigid 29rs picking their way through grapefruit sized rock gardens and full-blown downhill rigs doing laps up and down some crazy bombers that are only missing a chairlift. Good place to ride... hmmmmmm I think I am headed out there now! Happy trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0