Where to live around DC?- Mtbr.com

Where to live around DC?

I have to move back to DC after a three-year grad school hiatus in a mountain paradise. I have lived both in DC and Arlington, and found that both were great for road riding, but not so great for mountain biking. I find that I tend to do more of what is most accessible.

Are there any areas outside of DC that are closer to Patapsco, Schaeffer, Watershed or even Fountainhead that offer a reasonable commute, the necessary amentities (brewpub, coffee/breakfast shop, outdoor/bike shop, book store, record shop), and maybe a decent downtown area with some nightlife?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Try Vienna, VA

Hey,

I live in VIenna currently, pretty good central location. 20 minutes from wakefield/accotink, 20 from Fountain head/ about 45 minutes to schaeffer, about an hour to either E furnace or Gambril, Patapsco, the shed.

RT

I am the owl
    Where do you plan to work? Downtown DC or somewhere else?
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    lawhoo: first, nice avitar.
    there are plenty of places in maryland that may work for you. there are some of the planeed communities like kentlands king farm that have houses, town houses, and appartments/condos with with shops and resturants near by. there is a performance and hudson trail outfitters near by both. there are one or two brew pubs in old town gaithersburg, that are pretty close by. i commute from that general area into downtown dc every day. it ususally takes about an hour from my house to work. i drive to shady grove metro, then take the metro in to dc. also from my house its about a 10-15 minute drive to schaffer and other trails in the area.
    there are a lot of place in maryland just outside of dc that fit what you are looking for. the further you get from dc, the less expensive it is.

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    Germantown/Damascus/Clarksburg is nice, but is starting to get pricey.

You have a cluster of very nice trails, all within 15 minutes drive time of this area: Schaeffer Farms, Black Hills...the Hoyles Mill Connector which connects Schaeffer to Black Hills, Seneca Creek State Park (not as nice as it used to be), Seneca Greenway/Lower Magruder and Little Bennett (my personal favorite). They are all typical Maryland trails...wooded with lots of undulations. It's still enough of a variety to keep one from getting bored.

mtbr member
    I live in Gaithersburg (commute to DC) and can ride Schaeffer, Seneca Creek, Hoyles Mill and Blackforest from my house. Gambrill/Watershed is a 45 minute drive...its the best area this close in to DC that I have found in terms of ready access to trails. The road biking is great too...15 minutes and I'm out in the Maryland countryside, something hard to duplicate in the NOVA sprawl. There is a bit of nightlife and a lot of shops in the neighborhood (Kentlands/Lakelands) and my favorite brewery in America just opened a pub down the road (Dogfish Head.) Bookstores, Tower records, etc. are not as close by but not too far to drive.

Unfortunately (in many respects) I am moving back to aforementioned NOVA sprawl. But my condo/townhouse is for sale! Please, help me sell it! ;-)

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been checking on this thread every so often and now the move is imminent.

For those that live up near Gaithersburg, Kentlands, Rockville, etc. and work in downtown DC, how long is your commute? Is driving in take about the same time as the metro?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I moved closer in to DC, in Falls Church VA, but when I was in Kentlands my commute by shuttle bus and Metro was about 1:15 each way. I never drove so can't help you there, but the traffic on southbound 270 can get pretty brutal during rush hour. By bike to Southwest DC it was usually 1:45 in the morning and 2 hours return, not a daily bicycle commute unless you are a superhero with a lot of time on your hands!

mtbr member
    i used to live in gaithersburg right near the kentlands (i moved a week ago), and i commuted to 1400 eye st. 1400 eye st is right around the corner from the white house to give you a referance pt. i would drive to shady grove metro, then take metro in. it would take about an hour. driving in would take about the same amout of time, but metro is a little easier. i would listen to music and read for two hours a day. parking in dc is also expensive. metro will probably cost about $12 with parking, and you can get that money pre-tax which helps.

Feb 2006
    i live in Burke VA, 15 minutes to wakeotink, 15 minues to FH.

Members who have read this thread: 0