Where does everyone ride at?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Where does everyone ride at?

I mostly ride at Loch Raven. I have ridden Patapsco, and love it there. Just wondering where everyone else bikes at. Would love to try out some new trails in the area, if there are any worth trying.

mtbr member
    Patapsco mostly since it's a mile from my house.

Been to Fairland a few times since it's close to my work.

And other places I have been that are within an hour or so away is the Watershed, Gambrill, Fair Hill, White Clay & Middle Run.

Never been to Loch Raven but would love to check it out one of these days.

Masher
    I hear Schaeffers is awesome, we should try to make a trip out there sometime soon.

mtbr member
    I live in Lake Linganore in Frederick County and am lucky in that there's a pretty nice network of trails 100 yards from my house, so that's what I ride mostly. Since I work, have a long commute, and two little ones, it's perfect for one or two hour rides, which mostly is all I have time for. In addition to being in my backyard, I pretty much have it all to myself. I'm also only 20 minutes from Gambrill and the Watershed, though I haven't gone up there as much as I would like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    WV and Va: Kanawha Forest, Coopers Rock, Pipestem, Douthat

MD Patapsco, Gambrils for my main riding.

Secondary *ie: when I get bored of the other places* Shaffers, Roseryville, Wakefield

Pa: Deer Lakes, Harrisonville parks, Bike Punk Enduro

Ohio: Cederville and Rays

Bicycle rider
    Mostly Patapsco and Gambril/Watershed. Sometimes Shaffers and White Clay. You can also find me on the roads on my road bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Lake lLinganore

Eugalc:

I live in Walkersville and work in New Market. What and where are the trails at Lake Linganore? I lived out there 10 years ago but didn't ride then. PM me or e-mail if you can: [email protected]

Thanks

mtbr member
    Weltdog,

The trails I ride are between the Meadows and Balmoral sections of Lake Linganore, which is mostly behind Lake Merhle in the woods. It's a pretty confined area, but there are enough intersecting trails which allow you to mix it up. There's also nice riding off of the Nightingale Beach parking lot. The trail here starts at the parking lot and hugs the lake all the way to the dam. These two combined together make for a pretty nice ride.

Huh?
    Fountainhead was incredible. Have yet to try Shaeffers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    anyone down for trying schaeffers this weekend?

ISO Perpetual FLOW
    Quote Originally Posted by tcapri87
    anyone down for trying schaeffers this weekend?

There was a post on the MORE site saying they closed the gates to Schaeffer due to thawing of the trails. There was a recent request posted on the MORE site to open the park now that the temps are going back down. I'm hoping to be able to ride in there tomorrow morining for a few hours. Check the MORE site for trail conditions and also for other places to ride. There's plenty of riding within a two hour drive of D.C. and the MORE people can hook you up with rides at the various spots around here.

ISO Perpetual FLOW
    Quote Originally Posted by 269er
    There was a post on the MORE site saying they closed the gates to Schaeffer due to thawing of the trails. There was a recent request posted on the MORE site to open the park now that the temps are going back down. I'm hoping to be able to ride in there tomorrow morining for a few hours. Check the MORE site for trail conditions and also for other places to ride. There's plenty of riding within a two hour drive of D.C. and the MORE people can hook you up with rides at the various spots around here.
    Forgot to give you the link.

http://www.more-mtb.org/

The White Jeff W
    Watch out for the speed cameras on the road to Schaeffer. Just sayin'.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My favorite local area so far Rosaryville, but I hit the newish trails in Lorton yesterday for the first time. That is a great little network if you like fast, buff, non-tech riding. Perfect for a Rigid SS.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

Yeah I got caught . . .

. . . about a month after a nice ride at Schaefer, I got a ticket in the mail with a nice little photo of my vehicle and a high speed.

It was only $40. Cheap as tickets go--and more importantly, no points or report to my insurance company (that's truly the gift that keeps on giving). I think they don't put too much penalty on the camera busts because they want the $$ without the fuss--if it was expensive, you might be inclined to fight it.

If you're up in Maryland and like techncial riding, ya' gotta go to Gambrill. Start with the Yellow trail. If that doesn't make you black and blue then head for the Blue and Black trails.

I second the motion for the new trails in Lorton (Laurel Hill--check the MORE webiste for info). Mostly non-technical, but fast and swoopy. There is some tight, fun singletrack in the Giles Run trail and some good technical step ups (ridden CCW) on the Slaughterhouse Loop. There's also some good air opportunities (ridden CW) on the blue trail (it's blue on the map--I forgot it's proper name.). Many of the trails here have some crushed rock surface so they drain well, amking this a good option when other trails are muddy. Also, the trees are more sparse, and some of them are evergreens, so there are fewer leaves to contend with. As for NOVA riding, however, Fountainhead remains the best, but it's nice to have a worthy alternative.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    where is gambrill at?

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I live a few minutes from Schaefer so that's my main trail. I like Patapsco alot.
    Gambril is fun too, but there are too many rocks. Wakefield is nice for racing and anyone who like a nice fast ride. Accontink which is right next to Wakefield is a fun trail too. I think Roseryville is a good beginner's trail and great for fast endurance riders, but not very exciting. I tried Fairland a while back, it's ok.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcapri87
    where is gambrill at?
    Just outside of Frederick. You can get there either by taking Mountaindale Road off of US 15 or by taking 40 past the Frederick Town Mall and follow the signs for the park. The main parking area for the trails is half way up the hill/mountain on the right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I mainly ride Fairland because it is close to my house. It also has a wide variety of terrain to ride which is nice. Some sections are rooty and rocky, others are covered with loose pebbles, some are smooth an flowy, and there is the "pump track" section that is a lot of fun to ride.

I also go down to Rosaryville a lot but not so much Patapsco or anywhere else just yet.

Members who have read this thread: 0