What's fun in Charleston, WV?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What's fun in Charleston, WV?

Hey folks,

A friend an I are meeting in Charleston this weekend for some MTBiking (from Cleveland, OH and Durham, NC). We are looking for adventurous intermediate or maybe some "advanced" thrown in, depending on how things are labeled around there and relative distance to emergency rooms . Judging by the posts by "crashedandburned" and others, it looks like Kanawha St Forest is the place to ride (http://www.kanawhastateforest.com/biking.html)? Any other recommendations?

We initially thought about camping, but decided it would probably be more fun to stay in town and rub elbows with locals in the evening, rather than to sleep in a tent at 40degF. So where's the fun?
    Hi!
    Style: Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy

mtbr member
    Lowcel is from around there, but he doesn't hang out on mtbr.com much anymore. Go over to bikeforums.net and PM him. He'll point you in the right direction.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    KSF is about all there is in the immediate area. I think there's some riding in South Charleston, but I never checked out. Having said that, KSF has plenty to keep you busy. You can score a (crappy) map at the Ranger Station. If you can track down the Ranger, he can also provide some suggestions. Trails are well marked and it's pretty easy to get around.

Ballard, Pine Ridge, Black Bear, Teaberry and Mossy Rock (up Mossy is funner than down, IMO) are must-rides. I haven't ridden there in a few years, but I had heard that Wildcat was kinda screwed due to some gas line work. If it's rideable again, that's also a good time.

Dec 2004

Ksf

I live in Charleston and ride KSF regularly. Kanawha State Forest one of the best / sometimes under-rated areas to ride in WV. KSF is a about 9500 acres and the trails are sweet. If you want a good sample of the trails I suggest riding the Black Bear 40k race course loop. Hammering, that loop will take about 2.5-3 hours depending on your level of riding. If you want to do it relaxed style (lots of breaks), then 4+ hours or so.

All the trails are in good condition. Of course they are a bit dry from lack of rain. Mossy Rock Trail is getting a bit worn down and eroded in areas. This trail could use some erosion work. WIldcat Trail is fine. A lot of people have heard about the damage a gas drilling company did to the trail. They cut a one mile section without any notice (?) and cut out a 20 foot section of WIldcat within 30 feet of trail head. Other than the road to nowhere and cutting across Wildcat, it's completely intact.

The race course route is up Middle Ridge FR down Teaberry Rock Trail up Pool Hill (local speak) to Mossy Rock left to Middle Ridge FR to left Middle Ridge Trail (2) to MIddle Ridge FR right to down Ballard Trail to Hoffman Hollow to Middle Ridge FR, right to Black Bear Trail (hold on) to Kanawha State Forest Road/ cross to climb Pigeon Roost Trail to Middle Ridge Road, right on Middle Ridge Road (don't take any lefts), to Pine Ridge Trail on right to Polly Hollow and left to climb Polly Hollow Trail (some hike-a-bike), right to on newer looking Fire Road (cut by gas company to nowhere), to Wildcat Ridge Trail on right out to picnic area, left to main road (Kanawha State Forest Road to Davis Creek Trail on right off main road near Copper Head Rock (can't miss this huge boulder on side of road), back to ranger station to your car.

This a tough route but a lot of fun. Other riding in the area is Little Creek Park in South Charleston. It's about a 5 mile loop which can be a lot of fun and is somewhat rocky in areas (singletrack). Also, there are some new trails in Eleanor Park in Putnum County. Theres about 5-10 mile of trail depending on how you loop them. If you go a little further West there is Barboursville Park (Barboursville, WV) and Beech Fork State Park. There is other riding in the area but you have to talk to some locals. All in all, KSF is the best and the one I would stick with.

I can try to come along with you guys if you wish but will be a bit slow due to being off the bike for about a month with some bike related medical problems.

Alright, let's ride!
    Would you be able to ride around 9:00 am on Saturday? If so I may be able to squeze a ride in before I head to Parkersburg if you would want someone to show you around a bit.

Oh yeah, might be better to pm me at the other site since I probably won't remember to check this thread again. Sorry.
    Don't bring me down..........

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Would you be able to ride around 9:00 am on Saturday? If so I may be able to squeze a ride in before I head to Parkersburg if you would want someone to show you around a bit.

Oh yeah, might be better to pm me at the other site since I probably won't remember to check this thread again. Sorry.

Be careful of Lowcel!!! He rides out there on a rigid, singlespeed cyclocross bike!!!

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    Be careful of Lowcel!!! He rides out there on a rigid, singlespeed cyclocross bike!!!
    It's not a singlespeed. I've also taken my carbon roadie out there though, just don't tell the warranty department. However, I'll be on the Titus MotoLite II if we meet up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    It's not a singlespeed. I've also taken my carbon roadie out there though, just don't tell the warranty department. However, I'll be on the Titus MotoLite II if we meet up.

So when do we see the pics of the new bike???

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    So when do we see the pics of the new bike???
    What? This old thing????

I've switched over to bolt on grips already and I've ordered a GravityDropper Turbo seatpostf for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dude, that looks like one of dem dare NEXT bikes at the Wal-Mart!!!

Great bike my friend! Can't wait to see it in person. You broke it in properly yet?

Alright, let's ride!
    I got 'er on the closeout rack for $149 at wally world. What a deal!!!! It's worth every bit of the origina $199 price tag if you ask me.

If by breaking in properly you mean doing a superman over the bars then yes! I broke it in on Teaberry a couple minutes after I took that picture. I am still a long way from getting used to the bike though. Only riding mountain bikes five times in the last six months tends to make a guy a bit rusty. Gaining 15 pounds tends to make a guy slllooowwwwww as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hanshananigan
    Hey folks,

A friend an I are meeting in Charleston this weekend for some MTBiking (from Cleveland, OH and Durham, NC). We are looking for adventurous intermediate or maybe some "advanced" thrown in, depending on how things are labeled around there and relative distance to emergency rooms . Judging by the posts by "crashedandburned" and others, it looks like Kanawha St Forest is the place to ride (http://www.kanawhastateforest.com/biking.html)? Any other recommendations?

We initially thought about camping, but decided it would probably be more fun to stay in town and rub elbows with locals in the evening, rather than to sleep in a tent at 40degF. So where's the fun?
    Ok....Fess up. Wadda think of the Forest?

Also, did you enjoy any of the local "redneck" pubs? Been a # of yrs since I've graced the Village Auto by I-79 or the Longhorns out in Sissonville.

mtbr member
    Hey LowCel, Futurepath, Jon & John,

Thanks for showing us Flatlanders around this weekend! Can't say I was conditioned enough for the climbs, especially on Saturday. Quite humbling. Dang, you gotta have some legs to MTB in West Virginia! Not that the late nights enjoying the Charleston and S. Charleston nightlife helped any... 'Probably enjoyed Wildcat the best - a little bit of everything. If and when you guys make it to Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill, give a holler, and I'll show you around the official and "local" trails.

Best, "Han"

crashedandburned: enjoyed many local pubs! Fri night stayed in S. Charleston Had dinner at a bar in a stripmall on the river, then hit a couple bars near "the mound", then rounded out the evening at whatever is the ground floor of Doug's Topside Tavern. Saturday, we ended up at Bar 101, then the Vault. Can't say whether any of these were "redneck" pubs... woulda liked to been able to hit more of 'em (next time!).
    Last edited by hanshananigan; 10-16-2007 at 11:58 AM.
    Hi!
    Style: Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy

Alright, let's ride!
    The underside of Doug's Topside Tavern is the "Underpass". It's a nice little bar, also owned by Doug. I shout on a pool team of Doug's for a few years, always had a good time there. I was told that I had a really good time there this past New Year's Eve as well. I can't really remember that much of it though.

Anyway, it was great getting to ride with the two of you, I had a really good time.

Dec 2004
    You guys ride very well for ol' flatlanders It was nice meeting you guys, and great to get what I consider my season ending ride in with new friends. This spring we'll get some good rides planned!

Members who have read this thread: 0