What happened to Avalon Cycles???- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3

    What happened to Avalon Cycles???

    Anybody have any idea what happened to Avalon Cycles Tried to call there and just got a message saying the were closed and undergoing new ownership, think it said Mobtown Velo or something. Anybody have any insight? Maybe the owner running those 26's on his truck wasn't from just selling bikes

  2. #2
    ISO Perpetual FLOW
    Reputation: 269er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by PNTYDRPR
    Anybody have any idea what happened to Avalon Cycles Tried to call there and just got a message saying the were closed and undergoing new ownership, think it said Mobtown Velo or something. Anybody have any insight? Maybe the owner running those 26's on his truck wasn't from just selling bikes

    I have known Donald (the owner) for eight years now and have never seen him or know of him doing anything that would be considered immoral or illegal. I have raced with and for Donald in the past and consider him a good soul. People sometimes assume the worst when it could just be something that can happen to the rest of us, like the economy, health issues, bad financial planning, burnout, etc. I truly hope it's just some kind of restructuring or something to that effect. It's a shame that this may have happened, that shop was doing things for this sport that no one else was doing around here. He had indoor and outdoor jump ramps set up and also had a write up in Dirt Rag about an indoor event that they held in the winter. Maybe the new owners will keep his legacy alive. I hate to see anyone go down that was trying to contribute back to the sport. All that said I don't know what happend to Avalon cycles....I see Donald from time to time but haven't stayed in close touch with him.


    Donald if you read these posts I wish only the best for you and hope to see you on the trails

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3
    Sorry, I forgot that me being sarcastic in typed words didn't work. I too know Donald, it was more an inside poke at him I just haven't talked to any of those guys in a while and when I called I heard that message left by Gary. Didn't know what happened and thought maybe someone on here might know since there are a few threads on Patapsco.

  4. #4
    Bicycle rider
    Reputation: ExigeS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,055
    From what I understand they are downsizing and looking for a new location. I always had good experiences at Avalon. Donald and Gary are standup folks! I wish them luck.

  5. #5
    I am the owl
    Reputation: riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by PNTYDRPR
    Maybe the owner running those 26's on his truck wasn't from just selling bikes
    Nice first post If you don't have any facts, maybe it's better to just keep your thoughts to yourself.

    The shop is moving to Baltimore and being renamed Mobtown Velo. They are hoping to get reopened in a few weeks when they get their new shop space locked in. In the meantime you can still get in touch with them through their old number. This was all verified with Donald who I just got off the phone with.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  6. #6
    ISO Perpetual FLOW
    Reputation: 269er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Nice first post If you don't have any facts, maybe it's better to just keep your thoughts to yourself.

    The shop is moving to Baltimore and being renamed Mobtown Velo. They are hoping to get reopened in a few weeks when they get their new shop space locked in. In the meantime you can still get in touch with them through their old number. This was all verified with Donald who I just got off the phone with.

    I agree with riderx....ugly rumors get started this way.

    Glad to hear that Donald is moving back to B-more, he had a small but good shop the last time he was there.

    Thanks for clearing the air.....as I get older I just want to see the good in things and try and ignore the rest of the BS, even when it is thrown at me. I couldn't help myself when it was directed at a friend.

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Nice first post If you don't have any facts, maybe it's better to just keep your thoughts to yourself.

    The shop is moving to Baltimore and being renamed Mobtown Velo. They are hoping to get reopened in a few weeks when they get their new shop space locked in. In the meantime you can still get in touch with them through their old number. This was all verified with Donald who I just got off the phone with.
    Once again, as in somone else already visited what I said, it was a joke so chill. No need to come running to his defense, I've always picked on him about stuff like that, just a little inside joke,fact. Been out of town for a while so I didn't know what was going on. The main topic of this thread was to find out what happened to Avalon Cyles. Sorry if anyone thought I was taking a cheap shot as someone, if I wanted to do that I'd tell D himself.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    anymore on this?? opening date or anything??

  9. #9
    Bicycle rider
    Reputation: ExigeS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,055
    Last I heard from Gary they were to open on March 1st or around then. I did a google search and found this - http://www.livingorganism.net/2009/0...-mobtown-velo/ Some info here also - http://www.bmwcc.org/ My guess is they will be open soon.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dkeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    Last I heard from Gary they were to open on March 1st or around then. I did a google search and found this - http://www.livingorganism.net/2009/0...-mobtown-velo/ Some info here also - http://www.bmwcc.org/ My guess is they will be open soon.
    Last I heard it is a no go, Donald is moving to CO, This was last week, fairly reliable source. but don't take as gospel.

  11. #11
    Bicycle rider
    Reputation: ExigeS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,055
    Wow, that is news!

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by PNTYDRPR
    Once again, as in somone else already visited what I said, it was a joke so chill. No need to come running to his defense, I've always picked on him about stuff like that, just a little inside joke,fact. Been out of town for a while so I didn't know what was going on. The main topic of this thread was to find out what happened to Avalon Cyles. Sorry if anyone thought I was taking a cheap shot as someone, if I wanted to do that I'd tell D himself.
    Don't give it a second thought. There are a lot of self-righteous pricks around here. Ignore them.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dkeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    61
    Just talked to Donald at Germantown Cycles. He told me to tell you all that things are on hold till everything is just right. He did not want to open until they was able to execute their plan correctly. The website will still be up and running soon. But he is moving to CO (for a while) and will be a rep. for Chumba (bikes) and work in shop part time.
    Last edited by dkeg; 03-18-2009 at 03:44 AM.

  14. #14
    I am the owl
    Reputation: riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by huddled_mass
    Don't give it a second thought. There are a lot of self-righteous pricks around here. Ignore them.
    You're only 2 months late responding to that post, but thanks for stopping by
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    You're only 2 months late responding to that post, but thanks for stopping by
    Yeah, I don't have much time for internet blowhards...better late than never though

  16. #16

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1
    don't ever buy a bike from a guy named Donald or Gary at avalon cycles (http://avaloncycles.com/), I rebuilt my bike because avalon screwed it up when they put it together; they cut corners and put crappy cheap parts on it, no wonder they went out of business abruptly... they don't listen to the customer, they aren't organized,
    Last edited by mtbsbike; 03-28-2009 at 04:47 AM.

  17. #17
    the moon master
    Reputation: d_m_b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    163
    i couldn't disagree more. i've bought a bike and many parts from them. gary just built me another set of wheels too, since the last set is the best i've ever owned. i hope to see gary open his shop up in the near future, as i will frequent it.
    ridin in bmore

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.