What do you guys ride for the Richmond area trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

What do you guys ride for the Richmond area trails?

I was wondering what you guys ride (or would most like to ride) on trails like northbank, buttermilk, forest hill, powhite, or pocahontas state park. A couple of people i rode with had rigid SS 29ers, and one guy even had a rigid 26er, but I see a ton of people out with full suspension bikes as well. I know a lot of people ride what they have, and multiple bikes aren't in the budget, but if you could have one bike for the area what would it be in terms of suspension gearing and anything else you might like?

(mainly because I am considering trying out SS)

I ride a 2011 Gary Fisher Mamba 29er

Let the good times roll.
    I'm one of the folks you see on fullies. I have a Diamondback Mission. That's a 6" all mountain bike, and it weighs somewhere around 34lb now. I'm pretty happy with how it rides around the James River trails downtown. My favorite part is the adjustable seatpost. Saddle up to help with the climbs, then drop it down to play on jumps and downhills

My ideal bike for Richmond would be pretty similar to what I have now, but a bit lighter. Something in the 5-6" range weighing under 30lb. The Trek Remedy would be perfect for me. The EX would also be sweet for everywhere except Belle Isle and the little WV section at Pocahontas.

But really, almost any nice mountain bike will work well in Richmond. It just depends on what you like to do. I like to catch air anywhere I can, so anything I'd get would cater to that. Someone looking for XC speed might really enjoy a 29er. The HiFi 29er is one of the fastest bikes I've ever ridden on Buttermilk. Riders looking for an aerobic challenge or good training will be happy on a SS. Folks who want to experiment with some of the wilder lines on Belle Isle will probably need a freeride bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thanks for the reply. I know its a personal preference type of thing, but to see people riding stuff like an all mountain bike down to a full rigid just seems strange to me. I have never seen "the wilder lines on Belle Isle", but your the second person who has said something about them, I need to go explore. I usually just ride through to get across, with out really exploring.

mtbr member
    Im in Richmond when im not at school (newport news). I ride a 2011 GF marlin SS. It does everything I want it to on all the richmond trails. Wouldnt ask for anything else.

Let the good times roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by pecsokak
    thanks for the reply. I know its a personal preference type of thing, but to see people riding stuff like an all mountain bike down to a full rigid just seems strange to me. I have never seen "the wilder lines on Belle Isle", but your the second person who has said something about them, I need to go explore. I usually just ride through to get across, with out really exploring.
    Yeah, it seemed strange to me also at first. Now I've concluded that the type of trail doesn't necessarily determine what bike will work best. It mostly comes down to what a rider wants to do on that trail.

The hard core stuff on Belle Isle is all over the interior or the island. There are some sweet lines that go down the hill into the fireroad that circles the island. My favorite runs right along the top of the rock climbing wall heading north and ends with a sweet jump into the fireroad. But be VERY careful back there. Scout everything carefully before you try it. Some of those lines are essentially unrideable except maybe for people with expert technical skills. I'll be pretty pleased with myself if I ever get to the point where I can ride every tough section on that island. Probably won't ever happen though...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh
    It mostly comes down to what a rider wants to do on that trail.
    Its all about this. There are parts of all the trails around here that cater to just about any kind of bike or rider, but having the right bike is all about what parts you want to ride.

Im just a regular XC guy that likes to keep the wheels on the ground, so I ride a 26" XC bike(Scott Scale 35) and have no complaints.

Two-Niner
    Jan 2011
    I currently ride a 2011 Gary Fisher Cobia, and I've been to Pocahontas, Powhite, James River, Powhite, Pour Farm, Deep Run, and Rockwood.

I think depending on what you are looking to do on the trails will determine what bike you would want. I'm currently putting cash a side for a Rumblefish One but will keep my Cobia. When I want to ride more Technical I'll use the RF, and when I'm looking to haul through trails at speed it'll probably be the Cobia.
    2011 Gary Fisher Cobia, X9 rear derailleur, X9 shifters, Bontrager race bar, Bontrager race stem, WTB saddle.

Members who have read this thread: 0