What the deal with riding during hunting season?- Mtbr.com
    Bikecurious
    Aug 2007

What the deal with riding during hunting season?

Are there certain days or times that you should just stay off the trails during hunting season, or certain areas to avoid? Or maybe just put antlers on your helmet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g-bus
    Are there certain days or times that you should just stay off the trails during hunting season, or certain areas to avoid? Or maybe just put antlers on your helmet?
    Well that is up to you.

In Virginia my friends and I try and leave Saturdays for the deer hunters, and ride on Sundays.

And I pretty much stay out of the national forest around Thanksgiving week.....I will ride in state parks instead where hunting is not allowed.

Another option we exercise is to go places where most hunters don't want to go, like waaaaaay out (up) on super technical trails, again talking national forest here where motorized vehicles are not allowed.

It should go without saying to stay away from private property too.
    Last edited by mtnpat; 10-17-2007 at 04:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just stay out of the woods on Saturday. Or go place to ride where they are not allowed.

In MD, some state parks are off limits to hunters, others aren't. I might go ride at Patapsco or Gambrils(off limits). While the Shed area of Gambrils isn't off limits, it's not part of the park system either. I just don't ride out there on Saturdays.

In WV: I Know that Kanawha Forest has Safety Zones. Some of the trail I like to ride are outside os this, but I've rode out there plenty of times w/o a problem. I've even run into a couple hunters on the trail. Some quick hi's and I'm off. Most hunters will use the trails to get into the woods and then take off from there because they know others use them also. If I was hunting, I would try to be at least a couple hundred yrds off any trail I would use to access the woods.

If you're really worried about it, wear an orange vest. I've heard of some riders doing this. Never seen anyone, but heard of it.

Hunters only have a limited time of the yr to play, so I try not to bother them too much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What about Barboursville Park? Is there any hunting going on down there?

Feb 2006
    Just put on one of these and double up on your riding time.

Gravity addict
    wear the costume or get a pair of deer antlers attached to your helmet...lol Im riding anytime durning bow season, when rifle comes in Im keeping it to sundays....or walnut creek.
    How's that dirt taste?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WVUTech

Say Hi to Dr. Cercone for me will ya? Why did the Sig Pi House burn down?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wouldn't know. I just transfered here from Fairmont State this year

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My friend has said its open to bow hunting but I don't know that for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wouldn't know. I just transfered here from Fairmont State this year
    You Engineering? If so, which one and what yr? I graduated from Tech in Dec. '01. Use to live in "The Barn" down by the DQ there.

Also, If you want a couple quick loops, Riding/hiking up Tech Mt. there and going down the other side is a nice diversion for awhile. Another loop I use to do/discovered was on the fire roads behind the DQ. Go down the road there, hop over the gate. Then look for the fire road on the right. Climb, climb, climb forever and explore the fireroads up there. I use to come out in Handley (sp?) and take the road back to Montgomery. A good 14 mile loop.
    Last edited by crashedandburned; 10-18-2007 at 04:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Barboursville Park has been open to bow hunting in past years. They have a select season which requires permits, but those are not hard to obtain. Most of the hunters that I have seen in past have been on the left side side as you enter the park (newer trails). Also, have seen a few back by "Devil's Hollow". If I remember right, the season has always been earlier than WV's state season. There should be signs posted at the entrance if bow hunting is currently allowed.

(WVTech '95 grad)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I in my second year of BSME.
    I've rode just the basic Tech Trail. Started by the football field and rode to the rode by DQ. I've done it twice and both times I've seen hunters. One was bow hunting and the other had a gun looking up in a tree. I'm not a hunter so I don't know anything about it but I saw both of them around 6pm. Which I thought was kinda late for most hunters.

Jul 2007
    I still ride on Saturdays (Sunday is for homework) but I make sure and wear lots of orange. Orange shirt and some orange on the helmet. My camelback is also a bright red. Also a good idea to dangle some keys or do something to make noise as you go through the woods. If the only sound you make is the tires going over fallen leaves you sound just like a deer.

check your six
    Hunting seasons:

Early archery- October 7th - November 17th

Late Archery - Dec 4th - Jan 6th

Muzzleloader - November 4th - November 17th

Late Muzzleloader - December 16th - Jan 6th

Rifle - November 18th - Jan 6th *******

Rifle season varies from county to county, but for the most part it is no later the Jan 6th.

As others have said, Virginia does not allow hunting on Sunday. I try to stay out of the woods on Saturday, unless I am hunting!

If you must ride on Saturday, then just wear bright colors and try to aviod public hunting grounds, stick to parks and such.

Members who have read this thread: 0