Western MD family vacation?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Western MD family vacation?

I've got the wife on board to forego the week at the beach this year and head to the mountains. My 5 year old son says OK too, but I'm not sure he fully comprehends yet. I originally thought Deep Creek Lake, but the well known MTB spots (Coopers Rock, Big Bear) are a bit of a drive from there. Is there good MTBing closer to Deep Creek?

Also, should I be looking at other places? Requirements (in order of importance) are:
    1. Condo/house rentable by the week.
    2. Lots of activities for young kids in immediate vacinity (lake, pool, playground, etc.).
    3. Kick-arse MTBing within an hours drive.
    4. Good road riding out the front door.

Thanks!

the unvarnished nonsense

How about Canaan Valley?

Lots of rental options. Houses, cabins/lodges at the 2 state parks (Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley), condos. Lake Pendleton at B.F.S.P., C.V. has a swimming pool. More singletrack than you can shake a stick at. Another option you might want to look into would be Snowshoe Resort in Pocahontas County, WV. Send the boy to Split Rock Pools and head out on the legendary Slatyfork singletrack.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Mar 2004
    Contact Josh at the local bike shop in Deep Creek. 301-387-4199. He took us on a guided tour a few years ago, at I believe Savage River State Forest or something like that. He could probably do a couple of different places for you in a weeks time.

Otherwise, keep some more suggestions coming - I need ideas!

Blackwater looks a bit boring for the kids. Any other suggestions? A place where I could get a cabin on a lake would be nice, so we can step right outside and go swimming, boating, etc.

Professional Slacker
    Also, should I be looking at other places? Requirements (in order of importance) are:
    1. Condo/house rentable by the week.
    2. Lots of activities for young kids in immediate vacinity (lake, pool, playground, etc.).
    3. Kick-arse MTBing within an hours drive.
    4. Good road riding out the front door.
    It sounds like Deep Creek would be a good place to meet all the above. All of the riding spots you mentioned are within an hour or so, maybe a little more. There is plenty to do for the kids, including the state park beach and playground, go karts, bumper boats, batting cage, arcade, etc...all at Smiley's Fun Zone, which has some great pizza and wings. There is road riding galore from your door, and some nice mtb trails near by. Accident is one of the best trails in the area. Its only about a 10 mi. loop, but its only about 15 min. away. It was built by bikers for bikers. Davis, WV is an hour from the Lake tops, and has a ton of kick-arse riding. Frostburg is about 35-40 min. away and has miles and miles doubletrack. Of course, its all unmapped and on private property, but I'm sure I could find time to take you on a ride if you were interested. The Wisp resort at the lake has also recently opened up some new bike trails, although I'm not familiar with them at all. I hope this helps... drop me a line if you have any more questions.
    Last edited by chili; 03-22-2006 at 06:34 AM.
    Procastinators...Our Leaders of Tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning more towards Deep Creek now that I know about Smiley's. I saw Split Rock Pools at Snowshoe's website, but couldn't find a good description of it. Anybody know how big it is?

Nov 2005

going to check these out

" Accident is one of the best trails in the area. Its only about a 10 mi. loop, but its only about 15 min. away. It was built by bikers bikers for bikers."

"Frostburg is about 35-40 min. away and has miles and miles doubletrack. Of course, its all unmapped and on private property, but I'm sure I could find time to take you on a ride if you were interested. "

Both of these rides sound interesting for my wife and I. Thanks for ideas to research.

Dave

Professional Slacker
    Accident is a 100% legal singletrack trail. If you should choose to ride trails around Frostburg, do so at your own risk. As I mentioned, it is 100 % private and you are trespassing. Most are used by 4 wheelers and motorbikes, which are the users responsible for creating a majority of these trails. Due to the creation of the Allegheny Highlands trail, there is a bit of animosity held towards cyclists by the moto guys. For decades these guys have been using this old railroad grade as a super highway linking up with all of the other trails. Once it became the Highlands trail, they were no longer permitted to ride on it. Just a little heads up info.
    Procastinators...Our Leaders of Tomorrow!

Nov 2005

Alleghany Highland, Frostburg, and ATV

Chili,
    Great info. We've ridden much of the Highland trail and I'd seen some nice looking side trails. I didn't know the ATVers had lost out, I'd be disappointed too.
    I guess a lot of the Frostburg stuff is mining company owned, but that public use of fireroads and doubletrack was common and expected. Sounds like it, if the ATVers now use it.
    Also, thanks for the generous offer of guiding.
    Regards,
    Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0