West Virginia XC Locations - Help- Mtbr.com

Apr 2007

West Virginia XC Locations - Help

I need some help planning five days in West Virginia this Fall.

1. Where is the best variety of challenging singletrack trails? We are currently looking at Snowshoe area and Canaan Valley region?

2. Recommendations for in-expensive hotels in either area?

3. Any good guidebooks for West Virginia XC Singletrack?

I would appreciate any help offered.

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by Snotfoot
    I need some help planning five days in West Virginia this Fall.

1. Where is the best variety of challenging singletrack trails? We are currently looking at Snowshoe area and Canaan Valley region?
    Look a bit south of Snowshoe in the Slatyfork/Gauley Mountain/Tea Creek/Cranberry
    Glades area and then the Davis / Canaan Valley area. These are the best two areas
    in the state for Challenging singletrack IMHO. There are several others of course but
    would require much more travel time between them.

Nothing right around Snowshoe will be in-expensive, however down around Marlinton,
    not too far south of Slatyfork/Gauley Mountain/Tea Creek area, is the Marlinton Motor
    Inn. It's been quite a few years since I stayed there but it was decent then. Now
    up at Davis (near Canaan Valley) is a little motel, the Alpine Lodge. Nothing fancy,
    houses the Sawmill Restaurant upstairs and was great the time we stayed there.
    We asked for a ground floor and was able to take our (clean) bikes in the room.

[quote=Snotfoot]3. Any good guidebooks for West Virginia XC Singletrack?[quote]

The only one I have found is an old outdated one. You can pick up good maps for
    Davis / Canaan at Blackwater Bikes (right in the middle of the little town of Davis)
    and for the Slatyfork area you can get a nice trail map of the Gauley Mountain / Tea
    Creek area at Elk River Touring Center.
    You may even want to check prices of their lodging, shuttle service, guides, etc.
    They are right in Slatyfork at the bottom of Prop's Run (an awesome 8 mile slighly
    downhill trail).

Of course these are my two favorite places to ride in the state so I may be a bit
    prejudice.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

the unvarnished nonsense
    Exactly the response I was going to give, and look at all the time I saved typing by waiting!
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Nostralpicas
    In june I did two guided rides from elk river touing center in that area and in two days of riding the guide was able to show me a good network of trails and the map of the trails at elk river will last you your life time.The money for the guide service is worth it if you plan on frequenting the area.Elk river is probably your best bet for a good restaurant also

Old Fart

Davis is great

I love the Davis Canaan area. I get to ride there about 2x/year. Rented a condo @ Timberline one year and with a group of us it was cheaper than a motel, plus we brought food and cooked. Best of all, the hot tub right out the back door.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

Dec 2004

If you have the time and gas money...

Check out Kanawha State Forest in Charleston. You can do a several routes and trail combos or do the Black Bear 40K race course. All are challenging and technical. Slatyfork is the best in the state in my opinion but KSF is worth the time. Guess I'm somehwat biased but KSF is a mountain bikers mini-mecca.

white boy extraordinaire

I would appreciate any help offered.
    I would recommend the same trails, that everyone else has. Slatyfork is AWESOME!

Also, check out www.ertc.com . Their rates for their farmhouse rooms are pretty livable and the food there is pretty hearty.

Post some pics,

cmw
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

May 2007
    just wanted to put in my $.02.

My friend and I traveled down to Slatyfork last month hoping for some awesome, technical riding. What we found (after getting detailed directions) was that "technical" mainly meant slow. I had no trouble handling the trails, but on the ones that i rode (gauley, bear pen, etc.) basically consisted of double track w/ logs every 5 feet and tons of mud. I was very disappointed as Slatyfork was listed as an IMBA "epic" ride and i had seen it referred to the Moab of the east.

Basically, if you like to bike really slowly and technical to you means plowing through mud and hopping little logs every second than you would love slatyfork. otherwise i would look elsewhere.

mtbr member

if in northern WV...

...or even if passing thru the northern part of the state, you'll have to check out the trails at Big Bear lake in Hazelton. (about 30 minutes east of Morgantown) IMO, some of the best trails anywhere... a bit of everything, but mostly just nice, semi-tech flowing trails that can be ridden pretty quickly with enough obstacles here and there to keep it interesting. Good climbs, fast descents, and also the trails are well marked and maintained, so being unfamiliar with the trails, you don't have to worry about getting lost. When you pay your $5 at the gate, you get a trail map that's pretty accurate. The 24hr course loop (about 13 miles) stays well marked year-round.

ALso in that area, about halfway between Morgantown and Hazelton, is Cooper's Rock state forest. Tons of trails there. Maybe a little easier to get lost there, but if you have time to explore, its worth checking out. Trails aren't quite as fast and flowy as Big Bear, and there are all the rocks you could EVER wanna ride, without crawling along at a snail's pace as one of the other posters mentioned.

have fun!

Dec 2004

I'll second Grodo on Big Bear...

Big Bear is friggin' sweet!

Hey Grodo, I heard the WV Ultra race held at Big Bear in September is a 12 hour race. Is this true, and do you know of any websites to get further info on other than iplayoutside.com? They don't have much info other than calling the promoter.

mtbr member

RE: Big Bear 12 hr -- nothing yet

no, unfortunately nothing else that i know of. hopefully as it gets closer, there will be additional info.

Members who have read this thread: 0