West Virginia Trail Guide Books?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    'Calm Down'
    Reputation: GrumpyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    849

    West Virginia Trail Guide Books?

    I'm looking at taking a trip to the Morgantown area this spring/summer. Is there a trail guide books that anyone would recommend? Any good local shops that would have info?

    Thanks,
    jw
    -

    "And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    194

    Depends...

    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    I'm looking at taking a trip to the Morgantown area this spring/summer. Is there a trail guide books that anyone would recommend? Any good local shops that would have info?

    Thanks,
    jw
    Depends on where you plan to ride!

    If your going to venture the Monongahela National Forest the best book to get is "Monongahela National Forest Hiking Guide" by Allen de Hart and Bruce Sundquist for the West Virginia Highlands Conservancy. It is a hiking guide but since MNF is open to mountain bikes minus Wilderness areas, it is very useful. It lists all the trails in the MNF system, rates them on scenery, difficulty, condition, mediocre maps but good reference, trail segments and routes (with mileage). http://www.wvhighlands.org/

    If your going to go to WV State Parks or Forests, it would be best to call or go to the websites of prospective State Parks or Forests. Most of the websites have downloadable .PDF files of the trails systems. http://www.wvstateparks.com/
    FYI: Since your in Morgantown, Coopers Rock State Forest (within a few miles) is awesome, and your within a short drive of the Cheat Ranger District of the MNF.
    http://www.coopersrockstateforest.com/03-083.pdf <- Here's the . pdf for you.

    Big Bear, Bruceton Mills, about 15 miuntes East of Morgantown and host of the 24 Hours of Big Bear, has maps available of the trail system. Small fee to ride there.
    http://www.bigbearwv.com/

    Theres the WVU Forest which as some good riding (so I'm told) but I don't have any info on it.

    As far as any trail guides...there are few others for this area (that I know of).

    Local Bike Shops:
    www.pathfinderwv.com
    www.WamsleyCycles.com
    www.WhitetailBikes.com/

    Check out this site as well for trail descriptions:
    http://www.bicyclewv.com/trails.cfm

    Hope this helps you some!

  3. #3
    'Calm Down'
    Reputation: GrumpyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    849
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. That's just the kind or info I was looking for.

    Thanks again,
    jw
    -

    "And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

  4. #4
    Because I am !
    Reputation: outdoornut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,307

    Another Map

    I picked up a Monongahela National Forest Mountain Biking Map the year before last and it is pretty nice. Has lots and lots of trails listed, shows where they are, describes the trail, rates it's difficulty, and shows best direction to ride it. Very informative map. Please note, they seem to be difficult to find.

    The trail reviews here on Mbtreview.com are pretty good also. Another good resourse for maps on certain trails in WV is on http://www.outdoortravels.com/Biking.html

    Have fun

  5. #5
    white boy extraordinaire
    Reputation: cmweldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    241

    If you happen to be in the area....

    It's one of the few places I've ridden in WVA, but the Elk River Touring Company (www.ertc.com) has a map of the Slatyfork riding area that I found to be helpful and actually realistic in trail descriptions. If they say 'technical" , it's pretty darn technical (is there anything that isn't there?). Plus those guys are nice there (i was drunk).
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

    -the Dude

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    194

    Slatyfork...technical yes...but

    Quote Originally Posted by cmweldon
    It's one of the few places I've ridden in WVA, but the Elk River Touring Company (www.ertc.com) has a map of the Slatyfork riding area that I found to be helpful and actually realistic in trail descriptions. If they say 'technical" , it's pretty darn technical (is there anything that isn't there?). Plus those guys are nice there (i was drunk).
    I agree with you about Slatyfork. You mentioned is there anything not technical. Off the top of my head there is one non-technical but extremely fun trail. The Pocahontas Trail near the Cranberry visitor center and the Glades. Also, Cow Pasture Trail in the Glades. Hmmm. Can't think of anythings else non-technical

  7. #7
    the unvarnished nonsense
    Reputation: davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Futurepath
    I agree with you about Slatyfork. You mentioned is there anything not technical. Off the top of my head there is one non-technical but extremely fun trail. The Pocahontas Trail near the Cranberry visitor center and the Glades. Also, Cow Pasture Trail in the Glades. Hmmm. Can't think of anythings else non-technical
    Agreed, Cow Pasture is the least technical singletrack in Pocahontas County, but Pocahontas Trail, well, is something entirely different. For the first mile or so, its not bad, but after most turn and cross Route #39 towards the Kennison Mt trail system, Pocahontas becomes a bear. It runs for a total of about 17 miles to Summit Lake and is definitely technical, by most standards, but not like Red Run technical. The "new" Prop's Run isn't really technical, but that 12 mile climb to the trailhead can really put some folks off. As for the smoothest, flowiest, swoopingest and really not that technical rides in the county, well, you just have to come to the Shuffle. If that's what you want after a day or two of Red Run and Kennison, when we're sittin' around the fire BS'in and hittin' the shine, just say, "I wanna see Rimel." And try not to laugh too much when you see the trailhead sign that reads "Two Lick Bottom".

    If anyone needs one of those elusive Monongahela Nat'l Forest biking guide maps, just let me know. Kristy has them in stock at the Bean, and I can get the ERTC Slatyfork map if'n you need one of those. Heck, I bet I have at least eight of 'em upstairs.

    Just got off the phone with Capt._Phun. No Douthat about it, 2006 is gonna rock...and root. Hint, hint!
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    For the first mile or so, its not bad, but after most turn and cross Route #39 towards the Kennison Mt trail system, Pocahontas becomes a bear. It runs for a total of about 17 miles to Summit Lake and is definitely technical, by most standards, but not like Red Run technical.

    If anyone needs one of those elusive Monongahela Nat'l Forest biking guide maps, just let me know. Kristy has them in stock at the Bean, and I can get the ERTC Slatyfork map if'n you need one of those. Heck, I bet I have at least eight of 'em upstairs.

    Just got off the phone with Capt._Phun. No Douthat about it, 2006 is gonna rock...and root. Hint, hint!
    Guess I should not have said non-technical exactly. (Note: I rode it with a buddy backwards from Summit Lake to route 39 and so on. Plus that was about 3-4 years ago.) Going backwards it didn't seem too bad. Personally, it didn't seem as technical as Kanawha State Forest but I do see your point. There are some difficult sections. If I were coming from the visitors center, oh wow... The climb with all the runoff ditches would be real fun.

    I wouldn't mind getting one of those elusive MNF biking guide maps. I do have a MNF map but biking specific would be real nice.

    Looking forward to Douthat. I was going to make a trip on my own but can't resist a gathering of beer (or should I say shine ) drinkin', trail ripping bikers. You and the others seem like a really nice group of folks from what Lowcel and Capt._Phun have told me. Looking forward to meeting you and the others.

    By the way, there is a Pisgah Gathering you might be interested in as well:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...sgah+gathering

    Last October's Pisgah Gathering day by day fun:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=141013
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=141023
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=141051
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=141060

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Futurepath
    Guess I should not have said non-technical exactly. (Note: I rode it with a buddy backwards from Summit Lake to route 39 and so on. Plus that was about 3-4 years ago.) Going backwards it didn't seem too bad. Personally, it didn't seem as technical as Kanawha State Forest but I do see your point. There are some difficult sections. If I were coming from the visitors center, oh wow... The climb with all the runoff ditches would be real fun.

    I wouldn't mind getting one of those elusive MNF biking guide maps. I do have a MNF map but biking specific would be real nice.

    Looking forward to Douthat. I was going to make a trip on my own but can't resist a gathering of beer (or should I say shine ) drinkin', trail ripping bikers. You and the others seem like a really nice group of folks from what Lowcel and Capt._Phun have told me. Looking forward to meeting you and the others.

    By the way, there is a Pisgah Gathering you might be interested in as well:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...sgah+gathering

    Last October's Pisgah Gathering day by day fun:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=141013
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=141023
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=141051
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=141060

    Oh yeah...at Douthat, on Middle Mountain Trail, there is a enclosed shelter with an awesome overlook. It will sleep a small number of people or is a good stopping point for a long rest. I had the chance to ride both sides of the mountains. Don't know why but the shelter has stuck in my mind every since I rode there. Guess after the long ride to the top and shelter (view) it makes a person appreciate life.

  10. #10
    Yeah, I'm a n00b
    Reputation: DanTasstic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    I'm looking at taking a trip to the Morgantown area this spring/summer. Is there a trail guide books that anyone would recommend? Any good local shops that would have info?

    Thanks,
    jw
    There are two major shops in Morgantown now. Wamsleys is in the Seneca Center, along the Mon River and the rail trail. The other is Pathfinder, on High Street downtown. Both of these shops have in the past had a local trails book, and I've seen it recommended by others on this forum. Unforunately I've yet to see it, so I can't comment on it.
    2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara.
    Totally McStock.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.