Weekend in Virginia (or surrounding) - Must-do/Must-ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Weekend in Virginia (or surrounding) - Must-do/Must-ride

Looking for some recommendations. I'm heading to southern Virginia (Martinsville area) for work next week, for a couple weeks. It's looking like I'm going to have a weekend or two to kill while there.

I'm willing to travel a few hours from where I'm staying if the trails are worth it. Any "destination" mtb towns in the mid-Atlantic? Any "must-do/must-ride" trails? I enjoy pretty much everything from flowy, smooth berms to some rocky technical singletrack, even open to some lift service downhill.

Any location that has rental and/or demo full-suspension bikes is a big plus in my eyes. I'll most likely be flying there, don't have a bike travel bag and would rather not have to disassemble/reassemble my bike and ghetto-pack it in a cardboard box to get it down there.

Thanks in advance!

Formerly of Kent
    Harrisonburg.

Has lift service rides up at Massanutten, then enough singletrack within riding distance of town to last a couple of weeks.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Richmond has probably some of the best trail systems on the east coast, but that might be a little far away for you. Snowshoe might be within your driving distance, and is pretty awesome.

I am the owl
    Closest I can recommend is Carvins Cove in Roanoke (over 1 hour away). Good stuff out there. Not sure about rentals. Looking on MTBProject.com, looks like some closer stuff near Philpott Lake and also some stuff at I.C. DeHart Memorial Park.

Trailforks.com shows a few other closer options, looks like pretty small trail systems. Good luck, looks like you may need to travel to get some good riding in.

Unfortunately you are many hours away from Harrisonburg and Richmond.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. If I get a full weekend I'm thinking Harrisonburg looks promising, even for bike rentals. I've decided to fly so it's not really practical to bring my own bike, so rentals/demos will be mandatory. We'll see how it goes, and hopefully I'll be able to get out there for a day or two!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    You Wil be close to some pretty good trails already, I would not bother driving to Harrisonburg or especially Richmond. Carvins Cove (Roanoke) or Anglers Park (Danville) are relatively close and are highly regarded in the state.

Looking on trailforks there's some stuff right in Martinsville but not sure if its any good or not.

Also, while I love our trails in Richmond..I definitely would not say they are tops for the east coast or evenin VA. We just don't have the elevation..I'd take riding the trails in the western part of the state any day over Richmond.

If you have enough time and really looking for a trip, check out Pisgah in Asheville, NC. That is supposed to be tops for riding on the east coast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Douthat. One day there followed by a day at Carvins Cove would be a heck of a good trip if you can source a bike. Bonus - both trails are navigation friendly without a gps app.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Got a ride on last Sunday. My bike ended up catching a ride with a coworker who was driving down, so that was a huge plus. Went to Carvin's Cove...incredible trails. Ended up riding a huge loop of about 15 miles. Hoping to get back there again at some point to hit some if the trails we missed. Going up Hi-Dee-Ho kicked my ass, but we were rewarded with a long fantastic downhill. The Lakeside trail was beautiful, and everything else exceeded my expectations. Thanks all for the suggestions, I may be back down that way in September again, so hoping to hit some of the other areas suggested.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I live in Martinsville and hate that I missed your post. Next time you're in town, shoot me a message or e-mail. justin.emmert at yahoo dot com

We actually have (for VA) the #2 rated Singletracks.com trail here in town (it flip flops with #1) and the #1 trail system is 30 minutes away. The VA State mountain bike championship race is being held this year about 30 minutes away in Woolwine, VA.

So, you could get some local runs during the week in if you want. Here's a list of trails that are 30 minutes or less away and their length.

Mountain Laurel Trails- in town- 10-11 miles
    Cedar Ridge Trails- in town - 7 miles
    Anglers Ridge Tails- Danville, VA - 35 miles
    Shiners Revenge/DeHart Park- Woolwine, VA-main race loop is 15 miles, but there's lots more.
    Moores Spring Trails- Hanging Rock, NC- 10 miles
    Farris Park- Mayodan, NC (only 3 mile loop, but professionally built and fast)

I'm sure I can find you a bike to borrow if you are not able to bring one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks @jonas_24112 - Mountain Laurel and Woolwine were both on my list of what I wanted to do, but I ended up having long days on the jobsite that made it tough to get out on the bike after work (time and energy-wise). I'll be sure to check them out though, as well as shoot you a message if I get back down there (possibly in September).