Weekday rides at Patpsco State park- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Weekday rides at Patpsco State park

After my first crash at Patpasco park, I don't think I feel too good about riding alone
    Any low-mid level riders out there for weekday rides?

FYI, Patpsco park is located in Ellicott City, MD

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    what days and times r u looking to ride?

I am the owl
    Some friends of mine lead a ride like that once a month for The Bicycle Escape. It's the second Tuesday of the month, details here. Good guys, single speeds not required but theirs always a few there if you swing that way.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    How is Tues or Wed, after 12pm?

mtbr member
    i lead a ride most tuesdays after work. you're more than welcome to tag along.

mtbr member
    That sounds pretty good. What level of riders do you go out with? How do I find your group?

mtbr member
    we're pretty casual, maybe casual+, but no drop. we typically meet in rockburn near fields 7 & 8 @ 430, or later depending on traffic. i drive a black pick up. we should be there tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Anybody up for riding this coming Wednesday @ 4:30pm? Only 10% chance of precipitation, and all trails should be nice and dry by then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9911
    Anybody up for riding this coming Wednesday @ 4:30pm? Only 10% chance of precipitation, and all trails should be nice and dry by then.
    if my tuesday ride gets washed out, i may be able to ride wednesday. i'll post if i can.

mtbr member
    was the trail pretty muddy? hope it dries by tomorrow

mtbr member
    was the trail pretty muddy? hope it dries by tomorrow
    not at all, conditions were great. we rode out morning choice to cascade, crossed the bridge to go up & down the baltimore county side, where i inadvertently parked my bike in between 2 trees as i went over the bars. i then rode my bent & wobbley front wheel down soapstone, crossed up to the 4-way & back to rockburn via morning choice.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... ride tomorrow Aug. 16

Looks like it will be a great dry condition. Let's get together at 5pm at park & ride. Slow riders are encouraged to come out.

mtbr member
    for Tues sept 4 casual level ride.

Looks like a great day in the forcast. I'll be riding at around 5pm.

Masher
    I'm available. Where will you be dropping in and where can I find you?

mtbr member
    i'll be leading a ride from rockburn (inside near fields 7 & 8).

mtbr member

That will work.

Quote Originally Posted by clymberboy
    i'll be leading a ride from rockburn (inside near fields 7 & 8).
    Clymber, I'm not too familiar with the trail yet to know where fields 7&8 are. Is that the first parking lot you hit, when you start from rolling rd Park&ride?

Greg, if you know where fields 7&8 are, maybe we can start from Rolling rd Park&ride and meet up with clymberboy.

I think 5pm will be ideal for everybody to get there after work. I'll be on a white Orbea hardtail or silver plished Jamis Dakaar FS.

mtbr member
    rockburn park is adjacent to patapsco on the howard county side (landing road) . . . http://www.co.ho.md.us/RAP/RAPDocs/RBPTrails.pdf.

we'll probably get there 430'ish. i'll be driving a black pickup & riding a purple SS 29er.

mtbr member

This could be ugly

Quote Originally Posted by clymberboy
    & riding a purple SS 29er.
    Damn clymber, SS 29er? Am I gonna make it out of the woods riding with you guys? I don't know if I can hang with you guys, but I guess you never know till you try. I'll see you at 4:45pm, picnic area 7&8, on a hardtail.

Masher
    Tough to admit this:

When I got home my hands were shaking as I scrambled together two PBJ's. I've never eaten so fast in all my life.

Good ride. Can't wait to do it again...after I sleep through the winter I should be rested enough.

mtbr member
    Wow, I can't remember last time I ever rode that much. Good pace and good mix of riders. Let's hope next week is as good.

Sep 2007
    Are any of these trails suitable for a noob who has no trail skills yet? Not to ride with you guys, because I would just be an anchor, but on my own to start learning.

mtbr member

Only way to find out....

Quote Originally Posted by KevKaos
    Are any of these trails suitable for a noob who has no trail skills yet? Not to ride with you guys, because I would just be an anchor, but on my own to start learning.
    There are so many trails and routes there, it's hard to say. I've always thought the difference between a noob and experienced is, noob will tend to hike more through the trails than the experienced Don't know if I really believe in trails for noobs.
    I would actually be up for a very easy ride in the woods after a good workout like yesterday. There is no way I can ride like yesterday twice/week, but I think I can hang with a noob

mtbr member
    i wouldn't worry too much. just get out there & ride! however, i would recommend the howard county side over the baltimore side if you have any doubts. just go at your own pace . . . when in doubt, dismount.

don't be discouraged to ride with us, your welcome to come along. i pushed the pace a little last night mainly because the sun was goin down. its a no drop ride, so we'll take care of ya. i can't ride next week, but maybe the others will. you're certainly invited to come along the following week.

Masher
    My fixie is getting a little freshened up at the shop so I think I'll be heading back into Patapsco tomorrow if anyone wants to ride. I was thinking about dropping from the park and ride since I need to learn that side of the trail system. If anyone wants to come along feel free to hit me up.

I realize this is short notice but I'm just throwing it out there.

Oh, and as for a "noob" I agree with clymber and chris. Just take it easy. A good first step might be to go out and hike the trails so you have an idea what you are getting yourself into. When I got my first hardtail I just dove in there and I took a couple trips over my handlebars and spent a good time walking the rough stuff for my trouble. Knowing the trails and what to expect can make a ride that much more enjoyable for all levels of riders.

I am certainly not opposed to you joining our rides. I think you would be amazed how fast you gain confidence out there.

Sep 2007
    You guys are correct about the noob hiking through alot of the trail. I got up this morning, packed up the Mongoose and drove over to Gunpowder Falls Park (Lost Pond). Seems I screwed up right from the start. I have now read that most people leave from the left trailhead which is at the back of the second parking lot. I guess that basicaly had me "going against the flow".

The first part of the trail was pretty good. Well walked and somewhat wide in places. There are logs across the trail in places, and they are all chewed up on the front and top where bikes have been going over them. For the life of me, I can't see how people are going over them. Some were 12-18" high. I had my bike on the granny ring which is rare for me since most of my riding in on the street. I dismounted, and walked my bike of one of the logs, pushin from the side with the wheels on the ground rather than carrying the bike. As the bike bounced down off the top of the log, chain suck. And bad. Chain was wedged pretty good between the BB and the sprocket. Couple minutes and greasy fingers later I am moving again.

Next comes a section of rocks on a relatively short uphill climb. I wouldn't mind the rocks so much if they were those big rock formations that are sorta smooth and flowing. These were about football sized and very square with sharp edges. Here's Kev, pushing again.

I did find some sections that i thought I did pretty good on. I handled alot of roots and smaller logs (more like branches of 4-6"). More amazingly, no more chain suck the rest of the day.

I did think that I did pretty good on most of my downhills. No falls, so that's a good thing. I felt like I had my balance working fairly well considering I still need to be rolling at least a bit. Haven't got the trackstand down yet. I took a few of my downhills slow, practicing my braking and getting in position behind the seat. Some others i took a little faster.

My one knock on this trail system is that it really needs to be re-marked. A few times, I came across forks in the trail with no indication at all which was the real trail. I ended up on what appears to be an outlaw intermediate trail. I say outlaw, because the rules of the park are not to blaze new trails, and when I did find a trail marking, it was two blue stripes instead of one and they were a different shade of blue. Of course I could be totally wrong, cause as I said, I am a noob. Following this trail was not looking promising to me and I was starting to walk more than ride. The original trail I was on was supposed to loop me right back to the parking lot but it seemed like I was just getting deeper into the woods, I had my GPS with me, but it is a Nuvi 350 and not really made to be mounted on a mountain bike. I pulled it out and luckily (considering the tree cover) I got a fix. As I suspected, I was moving even further away from the parking lot, and I was getting tired, so I turned around and went back the way I came.

Somehow I made it back onto the regular trail, but never did figure out where or if I got crossed up. On my way back, I came across another MBr, and he was going the same way I had gone from the start. I would have talked to him, but he looked fresh and eager, and I was neither at this point.

Finally made it back to the truck, and realized that I had been on the trail for almost exactly two hours. If nothing else, I sure got a heck of a workout which is why I got the bike in the first place.

Needless to say, when I got home I settled down on the sofa in front of the tv and promptly fell asleep for a couple hours. All in all, a rather eventful day. When I got up this morning, I almost made the trip over to Rockburn, but I opted for the closer trail. I think maybe that was a mistake on my part, especially now that I see some others may have been out there.

mtbr member
    MC, hope you had better luck with the bike shop than your previous experiences. How did the ss do on the trail? ready to sell the fs rig?

KK, great minds think alike I too used my Nuvi 350 on my very first day at patapsco park. It wasn't the best, but it got me back to the parking lot. Come out with us next time, and maybe we'll share some tips on eliminating chain suck.

I won't be able to make tomorrow's ride, how is wednesday?

mtbr member

9/18 ride

riding tuesday 9/18 . . . lemme know

mtbr member
    Sunny today, sunny tomorrow, 0% chance of precep. Sounds good to me.

mtbr member
    great . . . ~4:30 in the rockburn lot.

Masher
    I think I can make it too. See you there.

Sep 2007
    So, how was the ride? I really wanted to go, but I am in class this week. I thought about you guys having a blast out riding, as I slogged my way up 95 that afternoon.

mtbr member
    KevKaos,
    You missed a really good one. You could not of asked for a better weather/trail condition than that. For me, it's always nicer when slower riders outnumber the fast riders, it makes for a very relaxing and enjoyable ride. We (slow guys) outnumbered them 4 to 2 We all had a pretty good time, Pat and Greg didn't seem to mind taking frequent breaks. Kudos to that one guy riding an old-school 40+lb steel bike with no suspension. Hope he is doing okay.

Sep 2007
    Yeah, I REALLY wish I could have been there. I am going away this weekend, but when I get back I'll be looking to see how the weather is going and if you all thiink you will be riding again next Tuesday. I'll be the old guy on the white Mongoose hardtail.

If I am coming from the airport direction (via the back roads) about how far past 95 is the entrance to Rockburn, or is it something I am not likely to miss?

mtbr member
    the montgomery road entrance, where i come in, only has a small sign for rockburn branch park, but the elementary school is more than obvious. landing road boasts a proper entrance.
    we'll gather at fields 7 & 8 . . . http://www.co.ho.md.us/RAP/RAPDocs/RBPTrails.pdf.

we had to wait on some stragglers last time & ended up racing the sunset. not to be a nazi, but lets try to get rolling as soon as we can. no worries, though, if we know youre coming, we'll wait for ya.

looking forward to next tuesday . . .

Masher
    Hell, I need the breaks. If I didn't have a few minutes after that one hellish climb you'd be calling me an ambulance...well, you'd be calling someone an ambulance.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC
    Hell, I need the breaks. If I didn't have a few minutes after that one hellish climb you'd be calling me an ambulance...well, you'd be calling someone an ambulance.
    Hmmmmm, now I am a bit worried. You may find me pushing my way up any big hills. Not in that kind of shape yet and climbing is still my weak point.

As far as I know right now, I will be there. older dark blue Expedition with the white hardtail on the back. Keep an eye out for the noob.

mtbr member
    see everyone tomorrow!

sunset at 7pm . . . lets try to start on time!

mtbr member
    sunny today & sunny tomorrow (mid 80s). See you all at 4:30. I, too, will be on the white hardtail. I just don't have the confidence to bring out the fs.

Sep 2007
    I plan to be there by 4pm. Didn't but the rack on the truck today, just put the bike inthe back. Be on the lookout for the old guy in the old dark blue Expedition searching for a place to park. The link from the earlier post didn't seem to be working, but I found and printed out a map, so it's all good.

Masher
    Sorry i couldn't make it out today guys. I should be there next week. Hope you had a good ride.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it was a pretty good ride until Pat ended up with a flat tire with his ss. Too bad we didn't have beer and wings when that happened, there was plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. The new guy struggled some but came through in the clutch. We actually made it out of the woods before the sunset.

Sep 2007
    Yeah, it was a pretty good ride until Pat ended up with a flat tire with his ss. Too bad we didn't have beer and wings when that happened, there was plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. The new guy struggled some but came through in the clutch. We actually made it out of the woods before the sunset.
    Struggled? Strugged you call it? I call it a near death experience.
    hehehehehehehehehe

It was great riding with you guys, sorry I was breaking the rythym. I think I am going to start trying to do some burst climbing drills that I have read about. The downhill sedtions were a total blast. Just to bad that there isn't a ski lift at the low point.

Sep 2007
    BTW Guys, THANK YOU!!!! I really did enjoy the ride even though I was sorta crapping out. Just makes me want to workout even harder so I can tackle those climbs.

mtbr member
    gimme a shout if youre riding today so we know to wait for ya.

mtbr member
    See you all at 4:30.

Masher
    I would like to thank my team of highly trained tire patch engineers for getting me back to the parking lot. Amazingly enough 45 minutes after I rolled the bike in the door the tire was flat. I just love those Super Patches.

And I'm thinking of cashing out the equity in this condo so I can get one of those carbon pumps.

mtbr member
    Gotta admit, that last ride was one of the funniest rides I've ever been on. Don't know which was funnier.
    1. Generica patch vs. deluxe patch vs. super patch showdown.
    2. Taking about 30min to figure out it's not the patch, but rather another mirror puncture on the tube.
    3. Figuring out why it was taking so damn long to pump up a flat tire...only to find out Greg forgot to lock the pump onto the tube valve
    4. Larry's glasses lens falling out and how he almost had to use the super patch to hold it up, if it wasn't for the right tool in my pocket.
    5. Manuel, the proud owner of a 40+lb rigid bike assults Pat for the yellow jersey position for about .1mile, only to find him standing by the side of the trail catching his breath. The new saddle position worked for him. It was nice to see him ride his bike out of the woods, rather than walking out with it.

In a perfect world, we would all be carrying a carbon pump and the Super Patch!!

Masher
    HA. I don't know how to work those crazy carbon gadgets the kids are all in to.

Sep 2007
    I was wondering if anyone was going out on a group ride this week? I'm very familiar with the trails and a pretty descent rider, but willing to ride with any skill level.
    I know a few of you ride Tues. afternoons.

Masher
    I was planning on going out tomorrow at the regular time. The cold is coming so I'm trying to get in all the rides I can.

mtbr member
    yup, same time, same place . . . err, actually, rounding up a few minutes sooner will give us a few more minutes of light . . . see you there

mtbr member
    cant make it today. have fun

Sep 2007
    In a perfect world, we would all be carrying a carbon pump and the Super Patch!!
    I was just over at Performance Bikes on Joppa Rd (over here on my side of town) and they had really nice small carbon pumps that are normally $45, on sale for I think $30. It was my first time seeing one. Man are they small. about as thick as a magic marker pen, and only about 6 inches long. Here's a link:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4361

mtbr member

Nice pump

I was just over at Performance Bikes on Joppa Rd (over here on my side of town) and they had really nice small carbon pumps that are normally $45, on sale for I think $30. It was my first time seeing one. Man are they small. about as thick as a magic marker pen, and only about 6 inches long. Here's a link:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4361
    That's the carbon pump for road tube, the one for the mountain is a bit bigger. How was the Tuesday ride?

mtbr member
    hey guys . . . i hope to ride tomorrow, but right now i'm only a maybe, so don't wait for me.

mtbr member

I'm a definite

I'll be there by 4:30

Masher

Tues the 16th

I'm pretty sure I can make it by 4:30 and I'll call well ahead of time if I can't.

mtbr member

perhaps a very relaxing ride tomorrow?

Hey kevkaos, incase you are listening in the background , sounds like it will be a very very liesurely ride tomorrow.

All, I'll probably be there at 4pm putting upgrades on Larry's bike. He just picked up the Aztec Delta shifting system I can't believe he picked them up for only $19 at REI. They used to be $45/line...unbelivable.

Sep 2007
    Hey kevkaos, incase you are listening in the background , sounds like it will be a very very liesurely ride tomorrow.

All, I'll probably be there at 4pm putting upgrades on Larry's bike. He just picked up the Aztec Delta shifting system I can't believe he picked them up for only $19 at REI. They used to be $45/line...unbelivable.
    Thanks for thinking of me, but I don't think my idea of liesurely is the same as you guy. hehehehe I am still working hard putting in miles trying to get my stamina up. Recently went to clipless, but haven't even tried them in the dirt yet. Doing well with them on the road, but trying to get the nerve up for that first dirt ride with them. Also, I'm sure you guys will be very disappointed with me because I broke down and bought a full suspension Gary Fisher Hi Fi Plus. Still have the hardtail Mongoose though.

Masher
    I'm sorry, was somebody talking bad about we FS riders? Somebody is trying to go fisticuffs.

Show yourself!

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC
    I'm sorry, was somebody talking bad about we FS riders? Somebody is trying to go fisticuffs.

Show yourself!
    Oh no, not speaking badly. They were just singing the praises of HTs, which is easy for them to do with being able to ride as well as they do.

mtbr member
    Nashbar's 20% off sale ends 10/17/07. We just need to make at least $100 purchase to get the deal. Email me or call me with the stuff you want. I'll place the order in the evening. Can somebody also contact Manuel, I think he was interested in getting the "Stick"

I am the owl
    Hey Patapsco riders, there's a big trail work day on Saturday, come on out and dig some dirt at the place you love. Details here.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

One Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Hey Patapsco riders, there's a big trail work day on Saturday, come on out and dig some dirt at the place you love. Details here.
    Can you please post the final details here? Is it ok to bring kids out for a work day? More of us could get out if our wives would get some peace while we work.

I am the owl
    Kids are OK. Eric, who is the MORE trail liason for Patapsco brings his daughter most days and will have her at this one. Just be aware that there will be people swinging tools,etc so make sure you keep the kids safe. We've never had anyone injured on a trail day, we certainly don't want to start now, especially with our future MTBers

Details are as follows, copied from my earlier posts and emails to various trail diggers:
    Mark your calendars, there's a big trail work day at Avalon (Patapsco) on Saturday October 20th, 2007. Our plan is to cut new trail and reopen the Charcoal trail to bikes. Yep, you heard right, a formerly hiker only trail will be opened back up to us. There is no way we could have something like this happen if it weren't for the huge volunteer hours that MTBers put in at Patapsco year after year.

The SSO Factory Team will be bringing a keg of excellent micro brew generously donated by our sponsor Clipper City for post trail work consumption. We'll also be doing a cookout, pot luck style: we'll bring burgers/hotdogs/veggie options and you bring a side dish.

This bit is from Eric:
    We're meeting in the Hilton Area at the end of Hilton Ave off Rolling road, parking back in the campground loop and cooking out near the tire park, 9:00 AM. This is a big project! I need all hands on deck! And bring some tools too! Shovels, Rakes, McLeods, Water, side dish. I'm bringin the girl (tm) too!

If you have questions you can email me direct at:
    riderx AT singlespeeoutlaw DOT com

Bring boots, gloves, water. You'll work hard but feel good about what you got done and we'll hopefully teach you a thing or two about sustainable trail construction. Thanks!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx

I can't make it this weekend, but I certainly hope that the posting of upcoming events like this keep showing up here. I would like to do my part. Of course I would need a bulldozer to smooth out the hills enough for me to be able handle them.

mtbr member
    chance of rain just got downgraded from 60% to 40%. We might get lucky today

Masher
    I know it is getting cold but, are we still riding tomorrow? I'm pretty sure I can make it out if anyone wants to ride but I might go out earlier if I'm going to be on my own.

mtbr member
    I think most of us should be there by 4pm. See you at the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Greg, you posted this 8hours ago? that's pretty late. Were you Warcrafting in the SLABS or something?

Masher
    Maybe...

And alas I can't make it today either. Late again. I was supposed to get my car back today but it looks like it's the day after tomorrow. Sigh...

Hope you guys have fun.

mtbr member
    Sucks to hear about your car, what's wrong with it? It was a pretty good ride as usual. You missed the "team" photo session. We might have to just graft you in, once Larry sends out the picture

Masher
    Timing belt, Cap and Rotor, One Tire, umm...belts and pulleys, 1600 total.

It's all upkeep really but I thought it would only take a day and it's taking three...

This should be the last work I have to do mefore I sell it and, according to Ben(my mechanic), I can get 7k for it so it's worth it.

I'll just have to insist on some more photos next week when I bring my camera.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... That's a hefty bill, I could have done that for 1/2 the price

Or I could have told you how to repair it. I hope your mechanic also replaced your water pump while replacing the timing belt. I know on some vehicles they have timing belt "A" and "B", total of two timing belts, hopefully he got them all. Anyway, on the topic of mtn biking, we are talking about moving our weekly ride out to Saturday due to daylight constraint. Clymber seems like a definite for Saturday morning at 8am. Manuel needs new equipment ASAP, and others are kinda acting lazy...

I guess we might have to create a new topic for the weekend gathering.

mtbr member

holy crap . . . $1600 . . .

ouch! it may be time to consider a new mechanic! unless you have the equipment to mount & balance, theres not much you can do about the tire. but the cap & rotor is all of $20 & 10 minutes. belts can be a PITA, but can be done.

unless we all start taking tuesday afternoons off, our after work rides are finished until the clock change next spring. i plan to keep rolling through the winter, though. right now my plan is to ride this saturday, hopefully sunday too. the only catch is that it has to be first thing in the morning as to not interfere with the weekend with the wife & kid. its been a while since i've ridden the baltimore county side, so i'll be dropping in at the rolling rd/park-n-ride entrance.

EDIT: actually, changed my mind . . . gonna start at rockburn & ride over.
    Last edited by clymberboy; 11-02-2007 at 06:17 AM.

Masher
    My mechanic is top notch. He's built several SCCA podium cars and has been working on my car since about the 23k mark. 1600 is a lot but the things I listed were only what I could think of off the top of my head. I know I had some seals leaking and I need an alignment and spark pugs etc. 'Twas a long list. Maybe you guys could take a look at the ticket but Ben has never really done me wrong.

Sadly I found out that my fuel pump is dying which is another 150 bucks...I think.

Anyways I am totally down for riding tomorrow morning...let's just hope I wake up.

mtbr member
    i guess that you didnt get up . . . nobody else did either . man, there were a few women riders out on the trail . . . what does that say about you guys ! i'm probably riding again sunday morning, but will be riding at 7am. i know, its super early, but if you think about the clock change it will be no different than this morning. i gotta get up early to play if i'm to avoid the wrath of the mrs! if anyone is interested i'll be at rockburn @ 7am.

mtbr member
    Ok, what time are you guys planning on going out this weekend. I cleaned and lubed up the bike so it should be good for another few rides. If you're going out this Sunday @ 7:00that's good for me.

mtbr member
    Did we say Sunday 7:30am, @ Rockburn? or was it 8?

Masher
    Sorry about my absence.

And I can't make it this weekend either. My boss got me tickets to the game and I can't pass them up.

Man I hate the cold...

mtbr member
    7:30 @ Rockburn. We came out and my chain broke after 15 min. I walked back and clymber kept on going for 11 miles! I'll go out as long as someone leads.

Sep 2007
    Hi guys, remember me? I was the new guy on the Mongoose hardtail that you all thought was going to die on that Aug afternoon ride. Just a note to let you know that I haven't given up. I did go to a full suspension, and that has worked out pretty nicely for me. met up with a guy from the Baltimore Mariners web forum who rides Patapsco all the time. We have started going on Sunday mornings, and he has been showing me around and coaching me. I'm still not a great climber, and I still have to push my way up some of the hills, but I really feel like I am getting better each time I go out. I am using clipless pedals now, and even though I still get freaked out a bit, I am getting used to them and they are helping me alot. We've only gone out a couple times so far, but the first time we did about 9 miles and it took about 3 hours with all my stops to catch my breath and rest up. Last week we did about 9 1/2 miles in 2 hours. On this last trip, after doing the bombing downhill from Rolling road, we tackled the Two-Stage climb. Just about made it all the way up the first stage, but I caught a root or something that stalled me and I had to bail. I made it up the second stage. There are a couple places on the trail that I doubt I will ever be able to tackle, but I am still plugging away.

mtbr member
    Hey, I'm the guy that slows everyone down. Sorry I wasn't around when you rode with the group that one time. I just got a full suspension myself and still have to do a full run on it. I broke my chain last week 15 min. into the ride. If you guys are out again this Sunday I should be there w/ clymberboy.

mtbr member
    Sure I remember. How is the new bike treating you? I think having a nice bike like that definitely motivates you to ride more. I've been in winter hibernation mode since our last weekday ride couple of weeks ago. MM and Clymber are little too hardcore for me, when it comes to winter riding. I'll have to catch up with you guys in spring

Hi guys, remember me? I was the new guy on the Mongoose hardtail that you all thought was going to die on that Aug afternoon ride. Just a note to let you know that I haven't given up. I did go to a full suspension, and that has worked out pretty nicely for me. met up with a guy from the Baltimore Mariners web forum who rides Patapsco all the time. We have started going on Sunday mornings, and he has been showing me around and coaching me. I'm still not a great climber, and I still have to push my way up some of the hills, but I really feel like I am getting better each time I go out. I am using clipless pedals now, and even though I still get freaked out a bit, I am getting used to them and they are helping me alot. We've only gone out a couple times so far, but the first time we did about 9 miles and it took about 3 hours with all my stops to catch my breath and rest up. Last week we did about 9 1/2 miles in 2 hours. On this last trip, after doing the bombing downhill from Rolling road, we tackled the Two-Stage climb. Just about made it all the way up the first stage, but I caught a root or something that stalled me and I had to bail. I made it up the second stage. There are a couple places on the trail that I doubt I will ever be able to tackle, but I am still plugging away.

Sep 2007
    The past two weeks haven't been all that bad. I keep thinking I am going to freeze to death, but then I get out there and get the blood pumping and it seems OK. You could always hook up with us, but we drop in from Rolling Road, and always go the opposite direction from the way you guys took me.Not sure if we are going this weekend or not. I usually get the call sometime Saturday afternoon. I have to either get some long leg riding pants, or before to long it will be to cold for me. The new bike is working out great for me. I am much more confident, and hopefully by next summer I may not be such a liability to your riding group.
    Last edited by KevKaos; 11-23-2007 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Please be a liability next spring/summer! I need someone to hang out with in the back of the pack.

I don't think clymber is here this weekend so I'm going to try and go by myself tomorrow morning starting @ rockburn ~7:30. I'll be the guy on the silver Specialized Stumpjumper and silver and black Schwinn helmet if we cross paths. Hopefully my chain won't pop this time.

mtbr member
    If I finish repairing my truck today, I'll definitey see you tomorrow. It failed inspection for following reasons:
    1. muffler
    2. cat converter
    3. Floor board is all gone for both driver and passenger side. Surprised I didn't fall through it while driving.
    4. Rear calipers, front & rear brakes
    5. Front cv joints and driveshafts.
    6. leaky roof and windshield

Not much daylight left, I better get started...

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mmont0
    Please be a liability next spring/summer! I need someone to hang out with in the back of the pack.

I don't think clymber is here this weekend so I'm going to try and go by myself tomorrow morning starting @ rockburn ~7:30. I'll be the guy on the silver Specialized Stumpjumper and silver and black Schwinn helmet if we cross paths. Hopefully my chain won't pop this time.
    I hope that by next spring, I will be in much better riding condition.

Not sure yet if we are going tomorow, but I would think that we are, but we roll out from the Rolling Road side. If you want to keep an eye peeled for us, I am on a matte silver Gary Fisher HI Fi Plus and with the cooler weather, I am still wearing shorts, but a blue fleece pullover and a hydropack and a blue Trek helmet. My riding partner is a stocky fellow wearing a Fox jerseyand yellow lense riding specs. Not sure what bike he would be on as he has had a different bike each week.

Sep 2007
    Turns out my riding buddy is having work done on his truck today as well, but sounds like it's just tires so I guess we will be out there tomorrow. I don't know how you guys pull off those 7:30 starts. I'm sure I would wipe out on the first downhill because my eyes would still be half closed. I much prefer a more reasonable start time such as 8:30.

Anyway, mmont, what I was going to suggest is that if it seemed no one from the Rockburn group was going to show, go an hour later from Rolling Road with us. If you do join us, we don't park at the Park and Ride. We park on the large shoulder of Rolling Road. I've got a older dark blue Expedition and my buddy has a white Tahoe.

I just got some long riding pants today, so I should be ok for another month or so of riding before it gets way to cold to do anything.

mtbr member

Rolling hill it is

MM and I will meet you guys at rolling hill @ 8:30. I could use little more sleep myself. I'll either have the white Orbea or the Silver Jamis FS.

Greg, haven't seen you in a while, you coming out?

Sep 2007
    MM and I will meet you guys at rolling hill @ 8:30. I could use little more sleep myself. I'll either have the white Orbea or the Silver Jamis FS.

Greg, haven't seen you in a while, you coming out?
    My buddy is trying to bring someone else with him as well. Chris, unless you have some other speedsters coming out, you may find our pace a bit sedate. Just so you are forewarned. Last week we did about 9miles total in just under two hours. That includes all the stops I need, and stopping to allow the speedsters to move on through.

Sep 2007
    In case you missed it, check out the Patapsco Sunday Slackers thread.

Jan 2008
    hey climberboy, you drive a black pickup? you wouldnt happen to work at race pace would you? anyway, im waiting on my GF to arrive, i got rid of the c'dale but i should be riding again soon, i really wanna ride that monocog 29er of yours!

mtbr member
    drive a black pickup, but don't work at a shop.

lemme know when you get your wheels & we'll hit the trails. i'll start up these weekday rides again once we change the clocks in march.

Masher

I'm still alive

Sorry guys but what with the new girlfriend, then the ex-girlfriend, the new job, the cold and all the work going on in my kitchen it's been hard to get out on anything but the fixie.

The good news is that I have to be in to the office at 730 every morning so early rides aren't such a chore anymore.

The bad news is I got a new Jeep Wrangler and I am having a hell of a time tryign to figure out a hitch mount that works without getting an extender. It looks like I will have to get one but maybe you guys have some experience with hitch rack solutions. The Thule T2 is what I have my eye on, but really, that style looks like my only real option...whoever makes it. In the meantime I have to take off both wheels to get in in the car which sucks.

I am sorta lost on the timeline here but I'll check in more often and try to catch up.\

See ya soon, I hope!

mtbr member
    oh wow Greg, good to hear you are still live and kicking....I was afraid we lost you in the world of "Azeroth". I hope your women issue gets resolved by the time we start riding again. Tueday afternoon still seems to work best for most folks.

Now for your New Jeep Wrangler issue. I'm not a fan of getting a long extender for the wrangler because it looks so damn hideous and there is a good chance you'll ram somebody/something with it while backing up. My Honda Odessey was a victim of this. Roof rack not a good idea for a wrangler(removeable top).

I really like the "upside down" rack because it seems to protect the bike really nicely. I like getting my jeep stuff through company called "Quadratec". Check them out. I have an extra catalog if you need it.

mtbr member
    tuesday 3/18 by 400pm rockburn lot near fields 7 & 8

Masher
    I have a case in the morning but I think I can make it. Bad idea to ride with no tune-up since last season? I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

mtbr member
    making excuses already

Masher
    I know, I know. This working thing is hard.

Tell you what, next time I show up you guys can all take turns beating me with sticks.

...after the ride.

Hope you had fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Thanks again for lettin me tag along

Thanks again for letting me tag along on the trail end of your group ride. I know it probably wasn't mucht o y'all but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wil try my darnedest to meet y'all up there next tuesday. And if I don't make it by 4, well maybe I'll see you on the trail.

mtbr member

Upset ugg, missed the season opener

I was so bummed out yesteday. I was prepared to slap on the "breathe-right" strip and assult Patrick on every climb...

Hopfully, this flu will go away by next Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Hey Jonesy. No prob. Feel free to join us any time. If MisterC shows up we can beat him with the night sticks he has with him for making excuses not to ride.

That reminds me. Where were you on Tuesday MisterC? Chris said you were going to show up.

Masher
    I was in surgery. Tuesdays are going to be tough for me as Mon, Tue, Wed are our busiest days. I'm going to try my best to be there this Tuesday. Believe me, I am dying to ride.

mtbr member
    I hope you know I was just kidding. Sounds you're doing OK after your surgery if you want to come out on Tuesday!

Seeing that Mon, Tue, Wed's are your busiest days, I'll make sure not to speed on those days.

Hope to see you next week if you're up to it. I usually go out on Saturdays also. This Saturday I'll be there at around 1:00 p.m. at Rockburn if you're interested. I'm bringing a friend as well.

Masher
    Oh no I wasn't in surgery. Going to surgeries is pasrt of my job.

Masher
    Fields 7&8?

mtbr member
    Yep, 7&8. My friend and I are a bit slow so you might not get too much of a workout. Looks like we're probably going to be there more like 2:30-3:00 after talking to the wife. That is if it's not raining.
    --------
    Ahhh, that makes sense.

Sep 2007
    Hey there Chris and M&M. Hows it going? Now that I have moved, I have to get home to let the dogs out and feed them, but I thinkI will try to take off early one day so I can hook up with you guys for a ride. I think I way a bit better than last Aug when I tried to tag along and almost died. Maybe I can get Jimmy to come out as well. I still don't thinki I am where I want to be with my riding, but at 30 pounds lighter (me, not the bike) and some road riding through the winter, I think I may be able to hang a little better and not hol dyou guys up to much. Hope your winter has been good, and maybe you can hook up with us Patapsco Sunday Slackers again sometime. We plan on getting back into it, but our last trip was a disaster since it was still WAY to muddy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    MMon, I should be able to join y'all tomorrow as our class should let out a little early. I may also bring a buddy who is in the same class. He and I rode Patapsco Sunday together.

If I'm not at Rockburn I'll catch up with you where the trail crosses Landing Road.

See you there... hopefully.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey fellas I'll probably ride with y'all again on Tuesday, though I might park up at the norris road trailhead and meet y'all up where the usual trail crosses landing road, cause I want to end my ride at that awesome hill and do some hill repeats up it. OR I might feel wimpy and just do the regular ride. So, if I ain't at the Rockburn Park, don't wait on me, I'll probably be waiting at the landing road crossing.

Also, I am probably bringing a buddy along if that's cool.

See y'all tuesday.

mtbr member
    jonesy, still planning to ride? none of us brought our bikes since it was raining this morning. any idea of the trail conditions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nope I didn't end up making it out there today...

And on another note, I am sans transportation. I just dropped off my truck at the shipping company and it is on its way to germany for my upcoming move there. I do have a riding buddy here at Fort Meade who has a car and we may be out at Patapsco some day this week. But he'll be gone saturday.

If any of you will be riding saturday, and will be leaving from the fort meade/odenton area and feel so generous as to offer me a ride I would graciously accept. If not, of course I understand; no worries...
    Look forward to seeing y'all out there next time I'm there.

mtbr member
    the morning's rain kept all of us off the trail too.

i live only a mile or two from your main gate. so, i'm sure that we could work something out. as for weekends, i always try to ride. but having a family forces me to start rolling by 8am if not earlier. and for our tuesday rides, i could leave work a few minutes early to pick ya up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'd love to get out there SAT with you. Let me know what time you want to head out there. Remember, I;m in the military, so early mornings are no problem for me :P

I figure I can meet you out by the main gate (I assume you mean the Reece road gate?) at a time of your choosing. IT's probably easier that way than giving you directions to where I am on post, plus if you are not stickered for a DOD installation (registered on base at SOME military base somewhere) it is sometimes a pain to get on Fort Meade.

Let me know...

mtbr member
    could you email/message me your email adress &/or cell number?

Apr 2008
    Any group rides this week in patapsco??

mtbr member
    i can't ride this tuesday. my wife gave me the option of riding or taking her out for a birthday dinner. i'm not gonna fall for that one!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You guys planning on riding tomorrow (Tuesday) if it doesn't rain?

Masher
    Today looks like it could be a good one.

mtbr member
    yep. i'll be out there . . . ready to ride by 4'ish.

jonesy33, still need a lift?

mtbr member

Today looks perfect

Got my taxes done last night. What better way to celebrate than to spend time with my "steed". See you at the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Greg, what happened? We actually did wait up for you at the parking lot. The ride was great, though.

Nov 2005
    Hey-
    I don't think I've ridden with you guys before but I'm looking to ride Patapsco or Schaffer later this morning. Anyone riding today?
    Thanks-
    Babar
    c202-421-8697

mtbr member
    Hey there Chris and M&M. Hows it going? Now that I have moved, I have to get home to let the dogs out and feed them, but I thinkI will try to take off early one day so I can hook up with you guys for a ride. I think I way a bit better than last Aug when I tried to tag along and almost died. Maybe I can get Jimmy to come out as well. I still don't thinki I am where I want to be with my riding, but at 30 pounds lighter (me, not the bike) and some road riding through the winter, I think I may be able to hang a little better and not hol dyou guys up to much. Hope your winter has been good, and maybe you can hook up with us Patapsco Sunday Slackers again sometime. We plan on getting back into it, but our last trip was a disaster since it was still WAY to muddy.
    Hey. Sorry I haven't checked this forum in a while. It's been going good. Glad to hear that you're kicking butt! Maybe you should call the Sunday group Patapsco Sunday Serious Riders. I've been on and off riding for the last month after my big spill. I've been trying to go out on Saturday afternoons as well as the Tuesday ride but unfortunately I had some house stuff to do this past Saturday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You guys riding today, or do you think it'll still be too wet?

If you are I might be able to make it today as well.

see ya later

mtbr member
    Ground looks swamped still. I'm not going but chris is definitely not going since I just saw him at Subway. Other guys probably won't go either since it's going to be a mudfest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    you guys planning on riding SAT?

Let me know, I'd love to ride, (and catch a ride).

see ya

mtbr member
    Wow Jonesy, you are a machine. People might get the wrong impression and think this is an elite ride group

mtbr member
    i've got ranger duty on saturday. i may be outta town sunday, but if not, i'll be riding if you're interested.

mtbr member
    I might go out after lunch on Saturday if time and weather permits. It's sad that I've only gone out once since the backflip. Are you doing the usual early morning on Sunday if you go, clymber?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, if either of you do end up going, and feel like generously offering a ride, I would graciously accept the offer :P

Give me ring on the cell phone if you feel like it (I assume you gusy have it from my private posts). Even if it's last minute, as an aftetrhtought decisiont o ride... I'm game. I've got nothing going on....

Thanks

Masher
    Yo,

I was out today and the trails are still pretty muddy in some spots. Regardless, I'm down to ride tomorrow if we have a group.

Let me know.

mtbr member
    70s and sunny tomorrow. awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I wouldn't mind joining you guys after work! What's the place and time?

mtbr member
    rockburn parking lot near fields 7 & 8 & into patapsco.

depending on traffic, we usually meet up 4'ish ready to roll by 430'ish.

Apr 2008
    Lets get a ride together this week. I can ride mon, tues or weds.

mtbr member
    I'm planning on going out the usual time on Tuesday if it's not too wet still. This rain just won't stop!

Masher
    Ok guys, this is the real deal. I think the trails should be rideable today so if everyone isn't too mad at me for being AWOL so far this season I'd love to go get some miles in.

Holler if you are going out today. Or if you think it is probably still too wet in there.

mtbr member
    Hey! Looks like I'm out today for many reasons - heat / finish bike build / wife / possible evening thunderstorm.... clymber is out today as well. I'm not sure if anyone else is going either.

I think Thursday might be a better day for riding and I'll probably be there after work ~4:45.

In terms of it being wet I'm sure it's all dried up now unless it starts raining this evening.

mtbr member
    ROFL, good one Greg. Seems like you are feeling the guilt from your last attempt to ride on Tuesday. I'm little iffy myself because i have to be home by 6. I think I can pull off riding around Rockburn, but don't think I can pull off Paptasco. This way the wife wouldn't know I went mountain biking, instead of taking care of the babies

Manuel, your shiny new bike is getting finished this afternoon, how could you not want to ride that "Spaniard steed" once it gets completed?

Masher
    Ok I guess i can wait 'til Thursday. It's too hot to ride alone. It's been so hard to get out riding with my job and I'm going to be starting a new position soon which isn't going to be making it any easier.

But I'm going to be chirping this thread and trying to get out. As it stands now i am good for Tuesdays (I'm usually done everyday by 4) but things happen that can make a liar out of me. It will make good conversation when i finally get back out there.

Masher
    Anyone riding today? I'm down for 4.

mtbr member
    Yep, everyone's coming out at 4:00. See you there.

mtbr member
    Hey it looks like we migh have couple of beginner riders joining us this coming Tuesday. Could be another 75%easy intensity, 20% medium intensity, and 5%high intensity ride

Just thought I'd warn all the veteran riders.

mtbr member
    hmmm, maybe i'll ride fixie. lets keep an eye on the weather.

mtbr member
    Okay, from reading this do you all meet at 4pm on Tuesdays at the park & Ride area?

mtbr member
    actually, we meet inside rockburn branch park, near fields 7 & 8. i would say 4:00'ish ready to roll by 430'ish. if the trails aren't too wet, i'm planning to ride today.

should we expect you? i drive a black pick up & will be riding a monocog.

mtbr member
    I'll be there with the 2new riders.

Masher
    How was the ride? I figured the trails were still soaked.

mtbr member
    There were just a few isolated small (3 ft diameter approx) mud spots...but the trails otherwise were pretty good...didn't run into the group, I took off out of the park & ride..I'm going to go out again this afternoon...

Is the Rockburn section down near the river where the big play ground equipment is?

mtbr member
    Trail wasn't too bad. Overall the ride was very enjoyable

date time calorie Low level workout medium level workout High level workout
    6/18/2008 2:41min 2953 39% 28% 27%

mtbr member
    We might be out again at Rockburn if it doesn't rain too much tonight. 4:30 ride start if I'm not late AGAIN.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Any group rides available today (tue)?
    Willing to accommodate a newbie?

mtbr member
    You will be well accommodated.

mtbr member
    Be prepared to ride out by 4:30

http://www.co.ho.md.us/RAP/RAP_HoCoP...n.htm#anch6622
    parking lot near fields 7 & 8 & into patapsco.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Any rides today sat?

mtbr member
    Nope none on Sat. Out again tomorrow though same time same place. This time I'll be there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Does anybody know of any races in the area? I'm very much trying to get into racing, possibly slalom and then eventually downhill (eventually meaning a long ass time when I'm good enough). I'd like to join a team too. If anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be great.

mtbr member
    I don't know about downhill or slalom. Clymber gave me this link a while ago for a race they hold at Patapsco - http://www.sixhourspatapsco.com/

They also have some races in the Columbia, MD area once in a while. Most of those are road bike/triathlon races though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That race looked like a pretty fun day. Wisp Resort is looking pretty good. Has anyone ever ridden the park up there? Also, how's Snowshoe in WV?

Knucklehead
    I believe that both downhill and dual races were held at snowshoe this past weekend. Also, if I recall correctly they will hold races again on or around the weekend of July 20? Not certain though.

mtbr member
    Another safe/good ride yesterday. I think it was the largest ride group we ever had.

Knucklehead
    How many?

mtbr member
    How long are these weekly rides? And do you guys cross into Patapsco or stay in Rockburn? Would love to come out and ride with you guys but lately my schedule is just plain lousy.

trekfueler
    Are these rides everyday, or should I just check this board every day to see if you are riding? Also, do you really start at 4:30, because that would be pushing it for me. And do you go into Patapsco as above poster asked? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I think we had about 8-9 riders that day. The rides really depend on who comes out because its a "no rider left behind" group. The time range is anywhere between 2hours to 3.5hours for 8-12mile loop.

We park at Rockburn and go straight into Patapso.

Rides are every Tuesday, while Thursday is an alternate day. We are pretty good about starting at 4:30, although we've made exceptions in the past. Its just being fair to folks who has family and need to be home at a reasonable time.

Note:
    1. This is a safe cross country ride group so we don't go crazy over stunts, jumps, and things.
    2. If you get frustrated over slow riders, this group probably wouldn't work for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Any rides happening today Thur. ??
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Most of us are out, including myself, due to family for the long weekend. Have fun at the park, it should be a really nice day for a ride.

mtbr member
    I think it was stated a couple of times already but here it is again:

Tuesday ride - 4:30 start, meet at Rockburn Park in fields 7,8 parking lot. Ride depends on level of riders in group. We go across Rockburn as fast as possible into Patapsco area and ride from there.

Thursday ride - same time/same place/same scenario. Usually a backup date in case of rain out on Tuesday. If some of us can't make it on Tuesday we try to make it up on Thursday.

Clymber is usually the guide so he picks the route we're taking for the day. We were doing the same loop for a while but people started to get bored and he switches it up every week now. Mileage usually depends on the level of the slowest rider in the group. It is usually me but sometimes we get a few slower people in the bunch.

mtbr member
    Anybody riding today? Hopefully the trails would've dried up some from Sunday's rain.

mtbr member
    yep . . . here's hoping for dry trails

mtbr member
    Thanks for letting me join you all last night...fun ride, like the route...I really hope it turns out okay for ya Rodney on the shoulder...
    c-ya all nect week...
    Ed

mtbr member
    Had fun yesterday. Good pace, good route and good company . Was my first time with the group and I have to admit, I am still feeling the burn in my legs.

Here's the group shot. Hopefully the shot from the other camera (Larry's?) came out better.

See you guys next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey guys, remember me.. the other Greg...
    Anyway, I may be at fort meade again for a few weeks this fall and If so I'll definitely link up with you guys again.

I am now in Germany and getting settled in, and the riding here is incredible! If any of you find yourself heading to Germany anytime soona dn want to take a detour to Heidelberg.. look me up. Be prepared to climb though.... The huff-and-puff climb there on the blue trail at patapsco is just a warm-up compared to the climbing here. Pat would be in his element for sure.

See y'all around...

OTHER Greg.

mtbr member
    eujinc - Thanks for the pic. At least I didn't look as bad as the last group picture we took last year. I think it was Rodney who took the other pic.

Jonesy33 - Cool to hear from you. Hope everything is going OK in Germany. I'm sure the climbs in MD are nothing compared to Europe. You'll be kicking some serious butt next time you're out here! You keeping up with the Tour de France out there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey! After reading some of these posts, I'm definitely trying to tag along for one of these Tuesday or Wednesday rides. I live over in Perry Hall (East Side Balto County for those who don't know). I mainly use my bike for road rides and commutes but I have experience on the trails at the Gunpowder State Park.

What kind of pace can I expect? Can lower level mountain bikes handle the terrain?

mtbr member
    One of the guys we ride with has a hybrid road/mtn bike that he rides. He walks the bike over the big logs and over the rocks. Even with my mtn bike I tend to do the same if the terrain is a little too much for me. One of the other guys rides a no suspension bike and he's always hopping over the logs and riding the rough stuff. I guess it's just what you feel comfortable doing on your bike.

If I'm out there the pace is usually a little slower than what everyone else is used to. I would categorize it under a slow pace.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Its kinda comforting to know I'm not the only one haha. It would be great to ride with some guys who are level or 2 higher then me. For some reason when you're riding behind a better rider, you don't think as much when it comes to technical sections. You just sorta do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nattybohfiend
    What kind of pace can I expect? Can lower level mountain bikes handle the terrain?
    I've been out with these guys twice and I would say that the pace is casual but being quite new to trail riding, I find the overall pace to be a very good workout for me at the end of the ride. The faster guys would go ahead and wait at top of hills or at key forks on the trail for the rest to catch up. There are plenty of stops.

Last Tuesday's ride was almost 13 miles. Starting from Rockburn Park, we crossed Landing Rd into Morning Choice Trail, blast down Ridge Trail to River Rd, cross the river via Gun Rd, up Soapstone Trail to Santee Branch Trail (which seem to only go up and somewhere along this trail, I went for a swim on one of the stream crossings), to Sawmill Branch and down Buzzards Rock. Now that was a very cool decend. Then we rode the paved Grist Mil Trail, crossed the Swinging Bridge, up the other end of Ridge Trail, on to Cascade Falls Trail, then back to Morning Choice and headed back to Rockburn Park.

As far as bike type, as mmont0 mentioned, one of the guys has a rigid while most of the others are on hardtails. My no-frills fs Schwinn (aka the Costco special) seems to be holding out well enough.

mtbr member
    Going through tour de france withdrawal right now . But I guess I have tomorrow to look forward to. Weather will be 88degree with 10% chance of precip. We should take advantage of the good weather and tackle every major climb tomorrow..lol

mtbr member
    I'll be there this week...bringing my new conversion....

Ed

Jul 2008

Trails??

Are the trails there technical ?? Im also from the perry hall area, and im looking to get into some technical trail riding........ Oh and is there an address for the park so i can map quest it..

Thanks

mtbr member
    Park address is 6105 Rockburn Branch Park Road, Elkridge.

Here's where we meet before heading over to Patapsco.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for all of the advice.

I'll definitely be looking to join sometime soon but probably not until the fall. Unfortunately, my schedule won't allow me to be available during the day/afternoon on Tuesdays or Wednesday... depending.

What's the latest time you guys meet?

mtbr member
    The latest has been 4:30...tonight we got out approx. 4:40pm...it was a great ride tonight...5 of us made it out and did just a little over 12 miles....the very start of the ride went through a fun group tree climbs and tree "autobans"..what a blast it was....c-ya all next week...BBQ or eats afterwards????

Ed

mtbr member
    Man, I barely made it out alive with you guys. Still feeling the burn in my legs. Great ride though. That technical stuff in the beginning was pretty cool, so was several of the trails that do not seem to be on the park map.

I agree we should plan on an after ride chow time. Hey Ed, in case we cannot find one in the park, doesn't that fancy van of yours have a built in bbq grill? Afterall it has a built in shower . Come to think of it, the park closes at dusk so a nearby restaurant/bar would probably be a better idea.

mtbr member
    eujinc...great idea about an after meet location...we'll have to find something between now and next week....
    Just think after last nights ride your now one step stronger than last week, so by next week you'll be even more!!! and so on and so on....Between you and Larry with your monsster weighted bikes, you guys are actually riding as strong as us...just think if you lost 10 lbs off your bike, you'd be leaving us behind... It sure was a fun ride though!!

Ed

mtbr member
    Great ride yesterday, guys. About 14.4 miles on my trip meter. Hope Larry is ok after his endo. He looked pretty banged up. At least his new 29er seemed fine (that is a nice looking bike).

Ed, did the video come out ok?

mtbr member
    Hey. My trip comp registered 13... miles but my GPS was 14.1 miles so I must have some setup issues with my computer. I have to check it out again. I also had a trace of the route we took but it was too large to post on the forum. Man, that was the longest ride we've been on so far.

Larry's OK just got his AC joint messed up. I guess he's in the club with me and Rodney now.

mtbr member
    When I got back to the van I plugged it in and.....EMPTY...dang, have to have my glasses on next time when I set it up...I did an endo on our way back too...right off the top of a big log...riht leg is way sore today...but still going to go meet up witht the Loch Raven Gang and try out that ride...c-ya all next week....come on out to Patapsco Sunday for the 12 hour race and check it out...
    ED

mtbr member
    i think the new bike got him too excited But on the positive note, this might be a good opportunity to borrow is shiny new bike for next several weeks..lol

mtbr member
    Hey mmont0, any chance of uploading the route up somewhere and linking from the forum. I'm kinda curious about yesterday's route as several trails were not on the park map. You are right about it being the longest so far. Any longer and we would need lights to get out of the park.

Glad to hear that Larry didn't break anything.

Chris, thank for helping me straighten out my rear derailleur. Not sure how I managed to get up Soapstone in that condition after falling on that rock. One moment I was crossing a log, next thing I knew I was on my back looking at the sky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    When I got back to the van I plugged it in and.....EMPTY...dang, have to have my glasses on next time when I set it up...I did an endo on our way back too...right off the top of a big log...riht leg is way sore today...but still going to go meet up witht the Loch Raven Gang and try out that ride...c-ya all next week....come on out to Patapsco Sunday for the 12 hour race and check it out...
    ED
    Bummer. Oh well, next time.

By the way, the race on Sunday is the 12 hrs for St Jude's, right? I take it you are racing in it. I'll be out of town this weekend but since I live so near to the park, I'll try to swing by if I get back in time.

Come to think of it, our weekly rides are starting to stretch to a third of a 12 hour race. Maybe we should try to form a team for next year . It's all for a good cause.

mtbr member
    That was just about right for the miles...next week and every week after will start getting darker earlier...think I'll start packing my light just in case...Last nights group in Loch Raven was incredible...we got back to the cars it was dark...those boys are all flat out fast...we took a couple breaks, but they would take off and fly...there were 12 of us and it was a good work out...found some trails I didn't know existed at Loch Raven...I always thought that place was boring, but after some of the stuff last night it was pure joy!!!!!

Damn Larry, AC joint??? Yikes, so you loaning out the 29er to keep it primed??? hahaha BTW the van will go for $8K and it's going to get traded in probally no later than Monday if no bites...301-481-1830....

Ed

mtbr member
    I think I may have seen a few of you guys Sunday during the St. Judes ride. My fiance and I had gone up there to check out the avalon area and didn't realize there was an event going on till we got on the trails.

I usually ride up in the McKeldon area during the weekday. Do any you guys ride up there? Be nice to find a few people to ride with during the weekdays.

mtbr member
    Well ya may have seen me I was competing, number #101.....Tonight was the night for the ride and I didn't make it ... sorry guys, next week though....tomorrow night is the Loch Raven gang going out from the Lutherville Bike shop at 6pm...fast ride...but tons of fun, those guys know some great trails...

Ed

mtbr member
    Eujin, sorry I didn't upload anything. Didn't check the forum until now. Man, this is a pain to upload. First it was the pixel size, then the file size. This is so complicated but I finally got it.
    Last edited by mmont0; 08-12-2008 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    There were only 4 of us this evening. Lots of other riders in the park today - must be due to the great weather. Lots of horse poop too, for some reason. It was a good casual pace. We covered 11.2 miles with a ride time of 1 hr 33 mins (excludes all the stops we took). Took the usual route through Morning Choice. Crossed the river and went up the lung-busting Soapstone trail and came down the other side of the same trail. Then we headed up Vineyard Spring and down the unmarked trail next to the convent. Almost got hit by falling rocks as we existed under the tunnel after the rocky creek because there was railway track repair happening overhead. Made it back to Rockburn with some sunshine left.

One remarkable thing happened on this ride. Last week, when Larry crashed, he lost his wedding ring. On the way back to the parking lot, Chris pointed out the spot or rather the tree root (not too far from the last stream crossing on Morning Choice) that had claimed both Larry & mmont. And lo and behold, in the dimming light, right next to that darn root, sitting among the grass for a whole week, was Larry's wedding ring. What are the odds of that happening! This must have really made his day.

mtbr member
    Mmont, you da man. Thanks. This is great! So first pic (in red) must be last week's ride and the second (in yellow) is today's.

From the 1st pic, I can now see where the obstacle course is. And also the path you must have taken when we were looking for Pat (Did he say, "Ridge" or "bridge"?)

This is cool. Thanks for posting.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0