Watogo state park WV?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Watogo state park WV?

I'm planning on camping here to ride the greenbrier river trail and the trails at Watoga.
    Also going to bring my kayak.

Can anyone tell me about this place and is it worth the 3hr drive from shenandoah valley VA?

Because I am !

My favorite campground is located there.

Watoga is a great little park. The campground I like best is Beaver Creek Campground
    on the back side of the park. However, since you have the kayak you may want to
    stay at Riverside Campground right next to the Greenbrier river. There are only a couple
    double tracks and roads that are open to mountain biking in the park. The old road / trail
    out to the lookout tower is fun and the overlook from the old lookout tower is nice ( if the
    haze isn't bad ). There are several dirt roads in the area you can ride as well.

The Greenbrier trail is IMHO the best rail trail in the state. My favorite section is
    from Marlinton north to Case and back. Several great picture opportunities along
    that section. I've never been much south of Watoga however there is another
    tunnel down that way.

If you are into some easier singletrack you could drive a few minutes east of Watoga
    to the Cranberry Glades and ride Cow Pasture Trail around the Glades. Always
    a good place to get a picture of a black bear, deer and several other wild animals.

If you don't get into the singletrack, you can ride the Cranberry River Trail which
    starts near the Glades and runs down toward Cranberry Camp Ground along the
    Cranberry River.

There is all kinds of technical singletrack in the area and some not toooo technical
    but has some climbing involved. Let me know if you are interested in any of those.

As far as your kayaking, I've seen them in the Greenbrier River and you could check
    with Appalachian Sports there in Marlinton at the intersection of Rt 219 and Rt 39 to
    see if they can advise on what areas would still have enough water for you.

Hope this helps.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

the unvarnished nonsense
    Water levels in Pocahontas County are really low. You may want to call someone at the park and ask if its worth bringing the kayak.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Davis is correct about water levels, not sure what type of paddler you are but only things you could count on running would low water upper Gauley or the new river.

Here is a link to WV river levels and rapid rankings

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...mary_state_WV_

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks

Mtnbiking is by far my first love,may not even bring the yak.
    I venture over to WV alot for biking,mainly around canaan valley and troutrun valley "technical".
    Looking foward to the greenbrier trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0