Watershed Maps- Mtbr.com

Thread: Watershed Maps

Robb
    Nov 2005

Watershed Maps

undefinedCan anybody direct me somewhere that I can find a map of the trail system at Frederick Watershed. I'm thinking of going there this weekend and haven't been in a few years.

Robb

mtbr member

None Available

Quote Originally Posted by robbdc
    undefinedCan anybody direct me somewhere that I can find a map of the trail system at Frederick Watershed. I'm thinking of going there this weekend and haven't been in a few years.

Robb
    There are none available. Whatever goverment entity manages the area prefers to keep it undocumented as I suspect that they are trying to keep thigns low key. Stick to the blue trail and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    this is third-hand info, but I believe part of the deal that allowed trails to be built at the shed in the first place was that maps would never be made. don't ask me why, I don't know.

the MORE message board has discussions about this once in a while, you might want to check them out.

she keep you buying rats

No maps is good, here's why...

<font face=verdana size=2> ...yep if maps were readily available then LOADS of people could possibly be coming in... and it's designated as a protected public watershed and wildlife area... it's not a designated recreation area.

I'm sure whatever MD environmental agency that has the responsibility to monitor the usage of the 'Shed have a max number of users in mind for the place. - What that number is, We can only guess... maybe they could tell you. All we can figure is that for now, we probably aren't at that max number yet. ;-)

But the bottom line is... with <i>several</i> million people living within 40 miles of this watershed... if all of the sudden you had a large number of people treading though the place, the direct result would be to officially limit public access (this could mean, check-in's, permits for all usage... if not locked gates and down right closures)

This will likely happen at some point way down the road... but the cooler everybody is in the mean time, I think the farther out that date will be. ;-)

So basically mountainbiking the 'Shed is a situation where if we don't start causing trouble... they will leave us alone. If stuff starts happening like big spike in traffic, trash, hassles with the adjoining property owners... it could all go away possibly. :-(

(<i>another issue that can potentially hurt access is, Frederick currently has some issues with public water supply... if a MD version of "<b>Dr. Mike Vandeman</b>" ever pops up here... we could be totally shut out of that area for good. ...that's not likely I hope</i>)

Like Joules mentioned, I'm pretty sure all the info about this has been posted and discussed at the MORE webiste (Mid Atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts) the website is <a href="http://www.more-mtb.org/"><b>www.more-mtb.org</b></a>.

<br><br>
    Last edited by WeakMite; 11-19-2005 at 02:23 PM. Reason: MORE link

Members who have read this thread: 0