The Water Shed today 12-13-08- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The Water Shed today 12-13-08

Rode the Shed today with 2 buddies...WOW what a day for riding the shed...

1. Had to borrow a bike from my LBS...was a bit different...bars not wide enough, mechanical brakes, too small a frame for me, to short a stem...very off for me...but I made it.

2. SNOW, it was a very cold start this morning, in the mid to high 20's....and there was SNOW on the ground...made for some interesting riding...never ridin in snow...fun not knowing what lie beneath, and the crunching sounds were pretty neat...the bigger rocks were a tad slippery.

3. We pulled up to Hamburg Rd. to park and there was NO One there....a car finally pulled in, 2 hikers...they went south into Gambrills...but we were the only bikers...never saw another biker all day...BUT...there were alot of HUNTERS!!

4. Seems today was last day for muzzle loaders, but ALL the others were hunting with rifles, shot guns and bows...YIKES!!!! After 3.5 miles (which seemed like it took forever) we came to a junction and tried to decide due to all the hunters if it would be safe going forward...well to heck with it, we moved on...had a great time... was good to be out on the bikes after not riding all week...

the other guys will respond with some stories and pics too...it really wore me out, I'm bushed but feeling good...and yep hot soup felt good...can't wait to see the pictures you'll all be very surpised with some of the rock stunts we did...

Ed

Sweeper
    Sounds like you guys had a good time! Cant wait for pics!

See you tommorrow Ed. PERP time!!

mtbr member
    Wow! What a great ride today. So much fun. I have to admit I am rather beat right now but it was so worth it.

Just uploaded the pictures. Here are a few from today. The rest can be viewed here: https://picasaweb.google.com/eujinc/...y=z-bYP5YY0nA#

A deserted Hamburg Rd.:

We were the only ones at the parking lot. The lot was full later in the day as we were getting ready to leave:

Group shot at the trailhead:

mtbr member
    Picture from the trails:

mtbr member
    Another group shot

Ok, where are we going now:

Frozen lake:

Hunter up ahead:

Group shot at the stone house:

mtbr member
    Riding on the edge:

mtbr member
    Ed's spectacular endo:

mtbr member
    Good thing he didn't fall to the left. That would have been a looooong way down:

mtbr member
    Snow & ice on the trail:

Bicycle rider
    Awesome pics Eujin. Thanks for playing photographer today. Let me tell you it was a great ride. Very cold at times but great company.

Bicycle rider
    This reminds me of how cold it was!

mtbr member
    You know the next time we go riding in snow & ice, I think I'm going to throw on my platforms. The SPDs and my cleats were so packed with ice that towards the end of the ride, I was not able to clip in anymore. Didn't help that I was hiking up a good section of that last hill.

mtbr member
    AWESOME pictures Eujinc...feeling okay this morning...getting ready for todays ride...your so right there...PLATFORMS...may have been the way to go huh....but then again if your not walking on your cleats they dont build up... I had the same prob on that last hill...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    what trail is the around th edge place?

did you guys take the blue trail to salamander?

where did you guys ride?

souds like a good ride i went on a 10 mile ride in downtown frederick that moring the was fun

mtbr member
    Thats out towards the over look...we rode the route going clockwise around the "Shed"...
    Have no clue what trail names are out there...we saw and were on for a while the blue blazes...

Ed

I am the owl

Idea!

The reason you didn't see any bikers is because it was the last day of modern fire arms season. During any firearms season (modern or muzzleloader) bikers tend to stay out of the Shed because:

a) There's lots of lead flying around. Bullet holes in your body are great for aerodynamics but the loss of blood kills your ability to climb the hills.

b) The hunters only get a short time to do their thing. We have all year to ride. So giving them a few Saturdays to hunt with out worrying about us being on the trails is courteous and helps maintain good relations.

Muzzloader season comes back in Dec. 20th - Jan. 3rd. The next modern firearms season is Jan 9th and 10th. There is no hunting on Sundays. Stay safe.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    That would explain the gunfire and the whizzing sounds over our heads. Thanks for the info on the hunting dates.

I would like to squeeze in another ride before the end of the year. Maybe do Gambrill this time or the 'Shed again and hit some of the trails we missed.

But this time on a Sunday.

mtbr member
    Yep...and roger to all that Riderx...we discovered all you said half way into our ride...and for obvious reasons we made it out alive...to live another day to ride...I'll respect the "killers" rights from here on out...would hate to be mistaken as a Bambi... Sure gets tough this time of year trying to get rides in...just have to learn the right times and areas...like reading up on MORE and this site more..thanks for the heads up...

Ed

Members who have read this thread: 0