WABA Alert: Key ICC Trail Vote This Tuedsay!- Mtbr.com
    offroader
    Dec 2008

WABA Alert: Key ICC Trail Vote This Tuedsay!

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o...aign_KEY=25112

Tell the Montgomery County Council we want the ICC trail we were promised

For years cyclists were promised a spectacular 18-mile hiker-biker trail from Gaithersburg to Laurel along the Intercounty Connector highway. But now the state says building the trail is up to Montgomery County, and Montgomery County planners want to cut the trail into pieces.

The Montgomery County Council will be meeting on January 13th to decide whether to accept or reject the recommendation of the planners. Cyclists and other trail users need to tell the Council to reverse the recommendation of the planners and build the full trail along the route of the ICC as originally promised.

Please testify at the January 13th hearing on the ICC, or send input in writing, regarding this vital trail.

Some more details:

The planners are asking the Council to remove about 40% of the planned trail from the county master plan based on environmental concerns, without having done an environmental study. What's more, the trail sections removed for environmental reasons were slated to run next to the ICC -- so the planners are essentially saying a new highway is environmentally acceptable, but a new bike trail is too damaging!

The result would not be a trail but rather a series of disconnected trail segments linked by sidewalk-type paths alongside major roads. This would expose trail users to countless dangerous intersections and driveways, destroying the trail's appeal and transportation value. Most severe would the detour around Paint Branch Park, which zig-zags along New Hampshire Ave., East Randolph Road, Fairland Road, Rt. 29 and Briggs Chaney Road.

Please ask the County Council to reject the Planning Board's request to amend the master plan to remove the Paint Branch section of trail or make any other changes that would damage the trail. Let the Council know that rerouting the trail as detours using sidepaths along busy streets is unacceptable. Here's how to help…

1. Send letters and emails to the County Council expressing your concerns.

2. Attend the Council's public hearing on the ICC - Make your presence known! It's on January 13 at 7:30 pm at the County Council building, 100 Maryland Ave., Rockville (7th floor).

3. Be even more visible by signing up to testify at the hearing. You can sign up to testify on January 13 by calling the Council at 240-777-7900.

Send letters to the County Council at:

[email protected]

or

Montgomery County Council

100 Maryland Avenue

Rockville, MD 20850

The County Council website is www.montgomerycountymd.gov/council .

mtbr member
    I just wrote my email. I would liove to be there in person but (hopefully) I will be touching down at Dulles to begin my new life of taking care of my parents in their final years and geting in a little bicycling on the side.

Hope to see ya around
    c

mtbr member
    e-mail sent. thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    I got in touch with Bill at the Bikeleague to see what support they could give. I tried the top of the food chain with Congressman Jim Oberstar, chair of the transportation an infrastructure committee and got sent down the line a couple of stops to the bike league. Bill sounded a bit more optimistic than I'd expected. It sounds like planning committees make this threat a lot and then follow through with the original plan. I suspect that they do this to test reaction so reaction is the key. If I could be there tonight, I would. But I'm still stuffing all my things in a big box here in California.

Fight for it!
    c

mtbr member

Meeting rescheduled

to Thursday at 7pm http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co...ncil/index.asp
    Rescheduling at a such a late date (and finding that reschedule date is not easy) will make it hard for busy people to attend. I think this move says that they are serious are about breaking up this trail. What should our next move be if they do break up the trail?

c

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Here and update:

Thank you for your message regarding the ICC Bike Trail. I do support a bike path that runs the full length of the ICC, and I was a member of the Council in 2005 when we voted to support the project. In addition, the Council's Committee on Transportation, Infrastructure, Energy & Environment (T&E), on which I sit, voted to rank this project as one of our top priorities for state funding. As you may know, a public hearing is scheduled for Thursday, January 15 at 7:00 p.m. If you wish to testify, you may contact Delphine Harriston at 240-777-7931. A T&E Committee worksession is scheduled for February 9. I appreciate having the benefit of your views, and like you, I want to expand the availability of bike trails throughout the county.

Best regards,
    George Leventhal
    Montgomery County Councilmember

mtbr member

Anyone know what happened

at the icc hearing last Thursday?

Thanks
    c

Members who have read this thread: 0