Visiting VA for a few weeks, ride suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    Robertson

Visiting VA for a few weeks, ride suggestions?

Hey all, I am in Portsmouth VA until Sept 30th for work and am looking to ride a fair bit while here (brought my bike). It looks like there's a few little trails (Indian River St Park) near me I could hit during the week, and a few in Williamsburg and Richmond I could check out on the weekends. Any other suggestions for trails I definitely need to check out while here? Any local groups that I could meet up with? FWIW I ride an Evil Following, love tech and downhill but am happy to ride anything. Thanks!

WillWorkForTrail
    If you can do an overnight on a weekend, head to Stokesville, contact Chris Scott, you can camp out or book a room somewhere. There's good stuff up there - Lookout, Narrowback, Wolf Ridge (Reddish Knob) - or you could check out Massanutten and get some lift served action.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Freedom, York River State Park and New Quarter - all in williamsburg are great, but not very technical. IRP in Chesapeake is even less so but, like you said, good for an evening ride. Buttermilk in Richmond is the closest trail for anything moderately technical.

If you want technical, you can get it on the Massanutten Western Slope or in GW Nat. Forest near Stokesville. Stokesville Lodge/Campground is a great place to stay and, in the Nat. Forest, you can also stay at North River campground, Todd Lake and others for a small fee. There are also plenty of established dispersed camping sites (free) located on FR95 or Tillman Rd giving you access to all of the trails listed above.

Mountain Bike Trails near Harrisonburg

mtbr member
    Nice bike dude. Make sure to hit Freedom Park while here and go straight to C trail where there are many wooden features on a 4.5 mile loop. I ride out of Virginia beach with a gravity oriented crew, ironically. LOL Here is my list

1) Indian River Park - mid week training ground
    2) Freedom Park, C Trail - get your techy on. Ride A as well.
    3) Buttermilk and Dogwood Dell in Richmond. One is technical and one is a flow trail.
    4) New Quarter - 6 mile flowy XC
    5) Pocahontas State Park - some new stuff there.
    6) New Lift Park at Massanutten is killer - weekends only.
    7) Bryce Resort.
    Santa Cruz HT2

Formerly of Kent
    There are a few soul crushing loops in Blacksburg.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    A few well marked trail systems in the mountains (no guide necessary) are Pandapas Pond (Poverty Creek) in Blacksburg, Carvins Cove near Roanoke, and Douthat State park at Clifton Forge. As others mentioned, GWNF/JNF has great riding but requires some homework or a guide.

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Nice bike dude. Make sure to hit Freedom Park while here and go straight to C trail where there are many wooden features on a 4.5 mile loop. I ride out of Virginia beach with a gravity oriented crew, ironically. LOL Here is my list

1) Indian River Park - mid week training ground
    2) Freedom Park, C Trail - get your techy on. Ride A as well.
    3) Buttermilk and Dogwood Dell in Richmond. One is technical and one is a flow trail.
    4) New Quarter - 6 mile flowy XC
    5) Pocahontas State Park - some new stuff there.
    6) New Lift Park at Massanutten is killer - weekends only.
    7) Bryce Resort.
    Thanks for the list! If y'all have any good weekend rides planned over the next month and wouldn't mind a tag along, shoot me a message.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you head to Harrisonburg go to Shenandoah Bicycle Company. They can help you with maps for Lookout, Narrowback, Reddish Knob, and Massanutten. They are not hard to navigate. Just have to figure where you want to start and where to finish. They are definitely worth the ride.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Robertson
    Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. Managed to hit a few trails in Williamsburg, Richmond, Douthat State Park, Bryce Bike Park, and Fountainhead while I was here. Definitely made the most of my time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. Managed to hit a few trails in Williamsburg, Richmond, Douthat State Park, Bryce Bike Park, and Fountainhead while I was here. Definitely made the most of my time!
    Great news man! What were your highlights?
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Freedom Park in Williamsburg,
    Also try John Blair Trail in York River State APrk, it's not on the maps yet, but it's all marked in park. 17 or 18 mile long XC
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Great news man! What were your highlights?
    Trail C in Freedom Park, descending Brushy Hollow trail in Douthat State Park, and Brew Thru at Bryce

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Trail C in Freedom Park, descending Brushy Hollow trail in Douthat State Park, and Brew Thru at Bryce
    Sounds about right! LOL Glad you had some fun man.
    Santa Cruz HT2