Visiting Shenandoah, where to ride...- Mtbr.com
    trail addict

Visiting Shenandoah, where to ride...

My wife and I will be at Shenandoah National Park for a few days next month and she is cool with me getting out on the bike for a day. I figure there isn't much within park boundaries, but I'd be willing to drive a little bit for a good ride. I have no idea what the singletrack scene is like in VA (I ride mostly in PA), but I assume there must be some cool spots to hit. I could bring my hardtail or my FS, depending on whether the trails are smooth or chunky (and also depending on whether there are any good stunts). I remember hearing about a really epic long downhill somewhere in VA or WV.... like the longest mtb descent on the east coast...? any idea there?

Any advice would be great. Before you mention it, I would love to go back to Snowshoe, but that just isn't going to happen on this trip-too far out of the way. Gotta be like less than an hour from Elkton.

Thanks
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post
    My wife and I will be at Shenandoah National Park for a few days next month and she is cool with me getting out on the bike for a day. I figure there isn't much within park boundaries, but I'd be willing to drive a little bit for a good ride. I have no idea what the singletrack scene is like in VA (I ride mostly in PA), but I assume there must be some cool spots to hit. I could bring my hardtail or my FS, depending on whether the trails are smooth or chunky (and also depending on whether there are any good stunts). I remember hearing about a really epic long downhill somewhere in VA or WV.... like the longest mtb descent on the east coast...? any idea there?

Any advice would be great. Before you mention it, I would love to go back to Snowshoe, but that just isn't going to happen on this trip-too far out of the way. Gotta be like less than an hour from Elkton.

Thanks
    If you're near the south end of the park, Sherando, just south of the park and off the west side of the mountain range.

CAMBC - Local Trails

You might not see anyone else, so if you're not comfortable in the mountains alone, consider Walnut Creek, a more traveled county park.
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly View Post
    If you're near the south end of the park, Sherando, just south of the park and off the west side of the mountain range.

CAMBC - Local Trails

You might not see anyone else, so if you're not comfortable in the mountains alone, consider Walnut Creek, a more traveled county park.
    Sounds cool. Is everything singletrack except for the Stony Ridge Jeep Trail?
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

bikeboatbrewski
    You will be not too far from Shenandoah River Park, its about 9 miles south of Front Royal. Well worth checking out.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv View Post
    You will be not too far from Shenandoah River Park, its about 9 miles south of Front Royal. Well worth checking out.
    I'm looking at a park map... bear bottom loop is classified as difficult.... rocks, obstacles, steep? all three???

How about Allen's Mountain and the Point trail-ranked moderate... nice for a hardtail?

I am the owl
    Elkton is 30 minutes from the south end of Fort Valley and Camp Roosevelt in the George Washington National Forest. Tons of great riding there. Get the National Geographic Map for that area. I've got some pictures and words about riding in that area. Lots of great stuff on the north end of the valley too, which would probably be 60 minutes away for you

Directions to Camp Roosevelt

Massanutten Trail by sso, on Flickr

First Attempt by sso, on Flickr

SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

bikeboatbrewski
    I'm looking at a park map... bear bottom loop is classified as difficult.... rocks, obstacles, steep? all three???

How about Allen's Mountain and the Point trail-ranked moderate... nice for a hardtail?

We did not get on BB when we were down there, saving it for another time. The trails are pretty buffed and wide, mostly double track but some single track as well. You would be fine with a ht bike. Place has nice flow with well laid out trails. There may be some horses or not, just be aware. When we rode it we saw a black bear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks
    Riding in VA is quite similar to PA. I'm in State College now, so Rothrock is my normal spot. VA has more elevation, so longer climbs and longer descents. Besides that, terrain is very similar. Of course each trail has it's own character based on soil type, amount of rocks, roots, and age of trail.

The epic downhill you are referencing is probably the Southern Traverse. It's in the George Washington National Forest west of Staunton by about a 1/2 hour drive, so you be a bit over an hour drive from Elkton. There are some other great rides in the GWNF closer to Harrisonburg. Speaking of Harrisonburg, Hillendale Park is there which has some fun singletrack built and maintained by the local MTB club. The park is relatively small, but has 5? miles of singletrack in it. Trails for all abilities - from flat smooth ones to rocky gnar don't break your frame in half ones. No real elevation change, but good for an hour or so of riding the various loops in different directions and such.

Oh yeah, NO riding in SNP unless it's on the road (Skyline Drive). Bicycles are considered vehicles in national parks, so they have to stay on the roads

featherweight clydesdale
    Sounds cool. Is everything singletrack except for the Stony Ridge Jeep Trail?
    Lower 1/3 of Mill Creek is double track, Coal Road obviously a gravel road. You don't want to climb Kennedy or Tory. The usual way up is Mill Creek, but it can be tricky to follow if you don't know it. It's much easier to follow going down. Jeep Trail isn't a bad way up, neither is Whiterock to the Parkway, then you can go Slacks Down or Slacks/Tory.

How many hours are you wanting?
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

mtbr member

You can't go by the difficulty classifications too much. Bear Bottom loop is one my favorites, not rocky at all, short ups and downs, flows really well.

Bear Bottom, Redtail Ridge and trails in that area are more narrow and roll more. Allens Mountain and Point Trail are a little wider but still a lot of fun. With these you do most of your climbing on the first half of loop and mostly descend on the second half.

The whole park is perfect for a hardtail, rigid, singlespeed, etc.

trail addict
    OK, actually probably going to stay more towards Luray, not Elkton...

The Shenandoah River State Park sounds good for the Hardtail and if I get bored there then I can head hown the I81 corridor to Harrisonburg to check out Hillendale and still not be too far from home base. If you guys have any other ideas, I am all ears.

If anyone knows about the National Park, I am thinking about doing White Oak Canyon with my wife. I really want to do Old Rag again (did it like over 15 years ago with my dad) but she wants something a little less strenuous and I thought the falls would be a great place to go and pack in a lunch and enjoy being away from it all for a bit.

Members who have read this thread: 0