Visiting fairfax - need trail reccomendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Visiting fairfax - need trail reccomendations

Here from Colorado till this Saturday. Looking for longer (25+ miles no problem), flowing, wilderness experience. Rode fountainhead a number of years ago and enjoyed it very much.

According to MTB project I'm pretty close to Gerry Connolly. Looks like rain in the next few days. Which trails can take some rain without turning to mud? Any trail recommendations appreciated! Probably can't venture too far from fairfax this time but want to hear what's out there for the next visit! Able to ride most black diamonds. Thanks in advance.

trailmaster
    Dec 2005
    If you can't venture far, I'd stick with Fountainhead. They were closed after the rain this weekend. But should be opening soon and weather will be great Tues and Wed. Here's the Facebook link; https://www.facebook.com/Fountainhea...7150099413259/

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Well, it's not 25+ miles but when it's wet out, Laurel Hills is usually the one that dries out the soonest.
    "Holy crap, you are creepy as shit sneaking up on me wearing that collar with that freaky ass smile."

I live to bike
    If you want to be able to ride after rain, come westward. Trails out in the George Washington national forest tend to dry out very quickly. Elizabeth furnace, etc.

Or Andy Guest state park.

But they're an hour or more from Fairfax.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Next time you visit, make sure to ride Bull Run Occoquan trail, it's now open for mountain bikers as well, across the the Fountainhead Parking lot. You can connect both and do a big ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemc2k6 View Post
    Next time you visit, make sure to ride Bull Run Occoquan trail, it's now open for mountain bikers as well, across the the Fountainhead Parking lot. You can connect both and do a big ride.
    Could you please explain in greater detail where the trail head is for the Bull Run Occoquan from the fountainhead parking lot is located? I am not that familiar with the fountainhead lot so I have no point of reference.

thanks!
    "Holy crap, you are creepy as shit sneaking up on me wearing that collar with that freaky ass smile."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MASC1104 View Post
    Could you please explain in greater detail where the trail head is for the Bull Run Occoquan from the fountainhead parking lot is located? I am not that familiar with the fountainhead lot so I have no point of reference.

thanks!
    It's pretty easy to find, it's in the same lot as the FH trailhead. You might see hikers go there. Here are the coordinates: 38.724935, -77.330627 . It used to have "no bicycles" signs, but rest assured, it's open for mountain bikers now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    It's pretty easy to find, it's in the same lot as the FH trailhead. You might see hikers go there. Here are the coordinates: 38.724935, -77.330627 . It used to have "no bicycles" signs, but rest assured, it's open for mountain bikers now.
    Thanks. I looked it up via the coordinates. From the little I remember of there, is that the same corner and trail where one passes the old cemetery?

mtbr member
    Not sure, I've never been near that trail head, just seen it from a distance lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Not sure, I've never been near that trail head, just seen it from a distance lol.
    haha. okay thanks! Will post up what I find out going there when it dries out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks everyone for the info! Given time and logistics I was not able drive anywhere so had to ride from the house. Believe I rode NoVa epic around Fred Crabtree park and did a bit of the Cross Country trail and was on WOD for a bit.

I'll make notes and try to hit some of your recommendations next time. Thanks again.