Visiting the Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Visiting the Area

Hello,

I'm spending a week at the homstead resort in VA in about a week. I was just wondering how the riding was around there this time on year? I won't have a car but I will have a bike. Any "must" ride trails?

I'm from southern california do I have never seen a real fall season. Any chance the leaves will be turning by then?

Thanks
    Last edited by Galamoor; 10-07-2005 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Galamoor
    Any change the leaves will be turning by then?
    Not sure where Homestead is, but most parts of VA aren't going to be seeing a colorful Fall season. Because of near drought conditions, most leaves will change from green to red/yellow/orange for about one day, then turn brown and die. It is starting already. Still a great time to get out and ride!

the unvarnished nonsense

3 words...

Douthat. Douthat. Douthat.

Douthat State Park.

The Homestead is in Hot Springs, VA, about 25 or 30 minutes from Douthat State Park, but you will need a ride. You can check with the concierge at the front desk, or...uhm, well, when exactly are you gonna be there?

Oh yeah, don't miss the Country Cafe just up the road from the Homestead. Completely the other end of the spectrum, but a much more realistic representation of the area you will be visiting. Go for breakfast and try the Virginia Salted Ham. Biscuits and Gravy are a must. Breakfast cocktails are optional, but recommended.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member

Bring the Golf Clubs...

It's a beautiful place. There are some trails at The Homestead, but Douthat State Park is a must ride if in the area. The 2 golf courses at Homestead are the best on the East Coast. Awesome.

http://www.thehomestead.com/outdoor-activities.asp

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Galamoor
    Hello,

I'm spending a week at the homstead resort in VA in about a week. I was just wondering how the riding was around there this time on year? I won't have a car but I will have a bike. Any "must" ride trails?

I'm from southern california do I have never seen a real fall season. Any chance the leaves will be turning by then?

Thanks

Yup. Douthat. You can't miss it. Rent a car, I assume that's how your getting there anyway. Read the trail reviews

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...5_4585crx.aspx

The bike/outdoor shop is most unhelpful with recommending real trails. The map they provide goes around the golf course on groomed crushed gravel. I've "heard" the horse guide folks have better maps. The organized bike rides are so beginner oriented (think riders in kaiki Dockers) that they just let me ride the van to one trail head and pointed me in the right direction (no charge). There are several okay rides straight out of the Homestead. Send me a PM with fax number and I'll try to get you some info/maps that I got from a local there.

There are also 2-3 rides described in the Mt Bike Virginia book which you can hit riding from the resort. The thing to keep in mind is that the Homestead owns most every thing around the resort. A trail head may be post no trespassing, but since your staying at the resort F_ck it. Its about a 99% chance you be in National Forest or Homestead land.

Members who have read this thread: 0