mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Virginia Beach MTB

Hey everyone! So I'm in the Navy and will be getting stationed in Virginia Beach in October. I'm currently in Washington and love riding all-mountain and bombing down hills. I do enjoy XC as well, but that's just where my preference lies. Where are good places to go riding out that way?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    There's nothing on the peninsula except road riding. You can bike the trails in first landing state park, but a road bike or cross bike would suffice there. You have to head northwest for real mtb spots.

mtbr member
    If you are willing to travel a little check out the Harrisonburg area, western NC, and there should be two MTB parks this summer - Bryce and Massanutten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I gotta say, guys, you're bumming me out about getting stationed out in VA, haha!

I figured I would most likely have to travel once I got out there. I've got good friends that live out near Patapsco in MD. Just hoping that maybe I'd get lucky and find someone who knew of some local trails I couldn't dig up.

Like a BOSS
    Other than Cape Henry Trail in First Landing State Park (as mentioned above), the only other place you could check out close to VA Beach would be Ipswich.
    Adam Christopher
    Strava
    Instagram
    YouTube

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Beach. Fat bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ipswich/Indian River Park is about it on the Southside. It's not much, but the EVMA has done a great job turning it in to what it is. There are a few riders that make the trip to Williamsburg, Richmond further west to the good stuff regularly.

If you want significant downhills, you're going to have to spend some at Massanutten, Bryce and west of I81.

If you don't mind riding with some slow fat guys - hit me up when you get here and we'll get you in on some rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tylercall88 View Post
    I gotta say, guys, you're bumming me out about getting stationed out in VA, haha!
    you should be. Unless you like strip malls and car dealers, and stupid traffic for such a small town, and driving around the naval station looking for parking. The biggest hill to bomb is a highway off ramp, there is zero elevation anywhere around.

Freedom park in Wiliamsburg isn't that far away; that's my go-to spot for when I can't avoid getting sent to Norfolk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Closest I believe is Freedom Park in Williamsburg.
    Checked that place out. Looks decent for a weekend ride when I don't feel like driving waaaay far.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Christopher View Post
    Other than Cape Henry Trail in First Landing State Park (as mentioned above), the only other place you could check out close to VA Beach would be Ipswich.
    Nice, that place looks like it'll be my before/after work riding spot. This is exactly the kinda thing I was hoping someone would point me to, even if it's not the biggest, baddest trail network around. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DiabeticCyclist View Post
    Ipswich/Indian River Park is about it on the Southside. It's not much, but the EVMA has done a great job turning it in to what it is. There are a few riders that make the trip to Williamsburg, Richmond further west to the good stuff regularly.

If you want significant downhills, you're going to have to spend some at Massanutten, Bryce and west of I81.

If you don't mind riding with some slow fat guys - hit me up when you get here and we'll get you in on some rides.
    That'd be awesome! I was scoping out Massanutten; it'd be awesome to hit it up with a group or even Williamsburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    you should be. Unless you like strip malls and car dealers, and stupid traffic for such a small town, and driving around the naval station looking for parking. The biggest hill to bomb is a highway off ramp, there is zero elevation anywhere around.

Freedom park in Wiliamsburg isn't that far away; that's my go-to spot for when I can't avoid getting sent to Norfolk.
    I was in Dam Neck for a 18 months for school, but didn't ever get to ride while out here. Washington was the perfect place for me to get assigned for my first duty station. I'm a little paranoid that because they're switching coasts on me, and sending me BACK to VA, I'm gonna get stuck on the East Coast due to cost of moving or some shit... I'll def have to make good use of Freedom Park

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Impressions from a total tourist a while back. I enjoyed the beach - tourist district because it was very bicycle friendly, I did not hardly drive the whole time I was there. First Landing was nice and could be a great after work ride if convenient.

http://forums.mtbr.com/virginia-wv-m...de-817132.html

I-64 is a fast ride once you get out of Tidewater and there are plenty of great downhills in western Virginia ( if you don't mind pedaling the uphills).

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I love pedaling the uphills! That's where I get my leg workouts, plus they seem to lead to those downhills that I love so much! Those pics actually make First Landing look like a halfway decent place to go when I'm sore from a hard day of riding out west.

I think I'll be taking regular trips to Western VA without a doubt. I also have a good friend up in Maryland who wants to do some riding when I get out there, so those places in Western VA are kind of a middle-ground meeting spot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tylercall88 View Post
    I'm a little paranoid that because they're switching coasts on me, and sending me BACK to VA, I'm gonna get stuck on the East Coast
    Don't panic, man. There is a LOT of good riding on the east coast, although you will have to drive a little bit to get there from VA Bch. That's what long weekends are for!
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'm sure I'll get used to it and find awesome stuff. I'll adapt. I do have to say, I know that I'll miss some of the large mountains that are practically in my backyard, haha! But I'll find the goods!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by philoanna View Post
    Beach. Fat bike.
    This! You could rock a fatbike all through Great Dismal Swamp too.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Haha, I just FINALLY made the transition to MTB from over 15 years of BMX and bought a HT because I couldn't afford a FS. The next bike I get is gonna be a FS, but I keep eyeballing these FS 27.5+ bikes (that new Rocky Mountain Pipeline looks pretty sick!), so that's basically like getting a fat bike, right? haha!

Is there actually riding in the Dismal Swamp? I was eyeballing that, as it just looks like a huge area to get away from all the people that are in Hampton Roads

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Dismal Swamp is Flat fire roads. We ride the North Carolina side often on CX bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'll def check Dismal out
    '16 Kona Honzo AL/DL

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If coming from bmx background... Ipswich/indian river park has some nice dirt jumps and there used to be some hidden ones huge sets in VB.

EVMA maintains majority of the MTB trails in that area... next closes trail from Indian River and VB is probably Lake Maury trails in Newport News... rolling single track. It has been several years since being station out there. Don't forget to make at least one trip out to snowshoe in WV.

EVMA - Our Trails

mtbr member
    I also appreciate this info as I'll be with the family in VA Beach for a summer vacation in July. Planning to bring my bike so glad to hear there are some places to ride.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The Richmond area stuff is pretty decent too. Pocahontas St park has TONS of trails. But as was said above, if you want elevation, you will have to head west. Sherando, Stokesville and Harrisonburg are definitely hot spots. I'm in Charlottesville and we have a pretty decent trail system around here too. Approx 30 miles of public trails of varying difficulty right in town as well as Walnut creek park (approx. 15 miles) and some others. We're about 2.5 hours from VA beach.

mtbr member
    Go to evma.org for the peninsula trails. Lots of single-track to choose from.

Go to mtbproject.com for the Richmond trails and the Appalachian Mountain trails.

Welcome to the area. We have a large military community here.
    Bob
    2016 Stumpjumper Expert 650b

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    We don't have any huge descents because it's relatively flat.

Freedom Park has 20 miles of riding, including man made obstacles on loop C. York River state park also has some great riding and is pretty hilly. Very small hills but they are tough. There are 20 miles there also. It's the best one around here. I also like New Quarter Park. It has a very cool 7.3 mile loop.

People who live around here are used to just jumping on the interstate and driving long distances (30-60 minutes). You get used to it real quick. There are plenty of people who drive up from Virginia Beach to Williamsburg on the weekend. If you go early in morning on the weekend it should go smoothly. During the summer the HRBT becomes a major obstacle. The stretch between Newport News (where Jefferson intersects I64) and the Williamsburg exits also gets real clogged up.

Some of our winter days can be very mild with temperatures in the 50's and 60's. We even have the occasional 70's. Most of the time it probably stays in the 40's, so you can ride year around if you are really motivated. I tend to fall off the wagon myself. In the summers it can get oppressively hot with temperatures in the upper 90's with very high humidity. Those days are hard to ride, as there is hardly any air movement in the forests. On those days it's just better to go down to the beach. There's a 2.5 long boardwalk with an attached bike path. Plus there's free bands playing on 3 or 4 stages.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Yeah, I'm used to driving for my rides. Even though I have very nice trails in my town, there's a killer trail system with everything from freeride to XC 60 minutes away, and I will frequently drive 4-5 times per week for it, if I'm on either my early shift or late shift. Thanks for the info!
    '16 Kona Honzo AL/DL

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Virginia, overall has great mountain bike riding. the biggest drawbacks are TRAFFIC and weather, but TRAFFIC is the biggest drawback by far.

If you live anywhere to make a decent income then you live in an area that is so poorly planned it is mind numbing.

There will be very good trails in your area, then drive to GWNF or Jefferson NF for better riding.

Fountainhead trail in northern VA us a great system but then you would be sitting on 95 for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk