Thread: Va./WVa. tour..

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Va./WVa. tour..

Gonna be cruising down thru Va. and West Va. in middle November and we're looking to the best, most continous single track rides. Not really looking to shuttle and would like to avoid those areas as the descents tend to be kinda blown up. We def. like Douthat and are gonna stop there for sure to do Stoney Run. After that we were curious about other thrail in the area that are simular, and stuff over in WV we can check out. Dates would be 13th to the 17th. We like 3-4 hour rides, and aren't afraid to climb. (SS friendly hopefully)Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    DVT

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    After doing a whirlwind recon recently thru western Va and eastern WV, I would put Davis/Canaan up at the top of the list along with Douthat. ODN & Davis can give you specifics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thnks. I had zeroed in on Canaan, as well as elizabeth furnace and douthat. Maybe some Pa stuff. We're looking at 5 days and are trying to not piss off too many hunters or get shot. What would you recomend in the davis/canaan area?

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Douthat has some Controlled Hunts

Yea - that hunting season thing. You will be riding kind of in the middle of it. Tricky riding this time of year. Even Douthat has some controlled hunting allowed. Last I checked they had hunts from 11-6-07 through 11-8-07 and 11-13-07 through 11-15-07. You may have to work around that. I think they close the park to riding during the controlled hunts. You may want to call the park or check their website to verify dates.

Also, if you get as far South as Douthat, you could check out Carvinís Cove 1 hour further South at Roanoke. Thereís probably about 30 miles of trail and no hunting is allowed. I go there a lot in hunting season when I want to dress up in buckskin and wear my antler hat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the info. Cavin's def. sounds like it's worth checking out. Any other good spots with NO hunting?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    in davis you might be gettin some heavy snow middle of nov..

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    we prolly won't ride there then. If there's snow by then we are gonna stay put up here in Northern VT and shrd POW. If not, we'll be rolling down to shred single track.

Members who have read this thread: 0