VA - Skyline Drive- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

VA - Skyline Drive

My wife and I are planning a trip to VA. We'll be doing mostly road riding and we're thinking of staying near and riding the south end of the Skyline Drive, so we'll be near the Blue Ridge Parkway too. We'll probably rent MTBs one or two days - looks like there is a place in Charlottesville.

Just looking for any advice on local MTB trails, and on places to stay (and even road riding). Looks like Waynesboro or Staunton are options.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    There are quite a lot of mtb options around the Staunton/Waynesboro area. Just south of Waynesboro is Sherando Lake with some great riding http://cambc.org/images/sherando_map.pdf, and west of Staunton you have the George Washington National Forest with tons of options. I would talk with James at Black Dog Bikes in downtown Staunton, or stop by Shenandoah Bike Company in Harrisonburg (about 30mins north of Staunton) for some maps and trail recommendations. I think Shenandoah Bike Company has bike rentals also.
    2010 GF HiFi Deluxe

I am the owl
    Near Staunton, check out the IMBA epic called the Southern Traverse, info on the IMBA web site.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you post up what kind of riding you're looking for, you may get some better replies. Forest road riding? rolling singletrack? Technical singletrack? Backcountry riding with extensive climbs?, etc.

A lot of options exist in the area, but need to know what you're up for first.

Also, are you looking to camp or stay at a hotel?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the ideas and advice. My wife is not as much into the technical terrain as I am, so I'd say we're looking for a mix of rolling singletrack with some technical stuff thrown in to keep things more interesting. We don't mind climbing and we'll be able to do some longer rides, possibly even borderline 'epic' .

We're going to stay in a hotel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are staying near Skyline Drive, I'm guessing you'll be in Waynesboro? Anyway, to the east is Charlottesville. The local spot there is Walnut Creek which is about 10 miles south of town. Nice county park with a mix of trails. $3 per person user fee during the summer months - well worth it. I think around 12 or so miles of trail. Good for at least a solid 2hr. ride. Well mapped and signed. Directly in C'ville on the campus of UVA is O-hill. This is also a solid network of trails, but it is hard for a first time visitor to put together a quality well flowing ride. Maps exist for the place, but no trail signs do. It takes a lot of exploring and trail/error to map out a ride, so I would not recommend it to you in your situation. Directly south of Waynesboro is Sherando Lake State Park. This is a popular riding spot as well, as it is part of the George Washington National Forest. I'd recommend doing a 'lolli-pop' ride here. Ride up White Rocks to the Blue Ridge Parkway, up the Parkway to Slacks overlook, then down Upper Slacks to Lower Slacks which drops back into White Rock. This ride has a small amount of tech to it, a fair amount of climbing but most of it is at a low grade.

If you are after scenery and remoteness then the GWNF is for you. I can recommend some nice spots in the area.

I've written quite a bit on the trails listed above, as well as numerous rides in the GWNF west of Stuanton on these forums. Do a search in this specific forum with my name and you should get a fair amount of 411 including more detailed trail descriptions, ride routes, etc.

If you want more details, or have specific questions post it up or PM me.

banned
    Mar 2004
    One word...Masanutten. That's where I'm riding over 4th of July week!