Trails in Williamsburg area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trails in Williamsburg area?

My parents just retired to Williamsburg and I'm schlepping the family down there from NJ for Thanksgiving. I haven't yet decided to try to bring along the bike with the three kids, dog and all the rest of the stuff.

I will bring the bike if there is anything recommended to ride in the area (within 20 minutes or so). Otherwise, I'll do the right thing and spend all my time with my family.

Thanks,
    Barry

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    York River state park is probably the best in the area. Go to Eastern Virginia mountain bike association web site for directions and details.

mtbr member
    There are some nice cross-country trails in the area. York River State Park, Freedom Park (listed as District Park in the review section here), New Quarter Park and Upper County Park are all in the Williamsburg area. Wahrani Nature Trail is in New Kent, whick is only a short drive from Williamsburg. The local bike club (Eastern Virginia Mountainbike Association www.evma.org) has a group ride at New Quarter Park 10 am on 11/24 and at Freedom Park 10 am on 11/25. Check your PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely bring my bike. I won't be able to hit the group rides because we'll be heading back Saturday morning. I will try to ride W/T/F. York River State Park is right near my parents new place. Awesome.

mtbr member
    I too have family down there, coming from NY.
    I schlep the bike down and do the right thing...time with family AND ride the fine trails

mtbr member
    Pedaler845, thanks again for the help with new trail construction in March.

mtbr member
    Hi Penny
    I hope to make it a habit, may get the chance soon @ Freedom Park I see.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the advice. I rode York River State Park this morning. I rode Laurel Ridge and then over to Marl Ravine. It was a great ride for what I needed today. It was nice, fast and swoopy with little climbing. More of a little roller coaster ride - a blast. It was a nice change of pace from the more technical rocks, roots and trees from NJ. Haven't decided what to ride tomorrow?

PS - You guys didn't warn me about those dang biting flies. They swarmed me when I got out of the car. I quickly jumped on my bike to get away.

thanks,
    Barry

mtbr member
    1st choice would be Freedom Park. On your first lap turn right at unmarked intersection past 5th (long curved) bridge for a total of about 7 miles. On your second lap turn left at same intersection for a total of about 5 miles.

2nd choice is New Quarter Park. The loop is 5.8 miles, not technical, but a fun ride.

The trail system at Wahrani is a good ride, but there are lots of intersecting trails, so very confusing if you don't know your way around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm a little worried about all the shoppers hitting the outlets tomorrow to get to freedom Park. I may go to New Quarter Park instead. Anyone have any point of view on the traffic for the Freedom Park area?

mtbr member
    Traffic shouldn't be a problem if you stay off Route 60 - take Route 199 to Longhill Rd and follow Longhill until it dead-ends at the park.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A huge thank you to PennyRich and Pedaler 845. I'm heading back to NJ tomorrow morning but I got in a ride today at New Quarter Park. I chose that over Freedom Park because I was able to convince my 62 year old father to go with me. My father was inspired to buy a mountain bike 7 years ago when I first did the Leadville 100 and he was part of my crew with my wife and Mom. He's only really ridden a couple of times off road but he is in decent shape for someone his age from doing aerobic workouts at the local club. I was shocked when he said he would go with me so I made sure to choose somewhere I thought he would enjoy.

We started by playing around on the wooden bridges - really cool although not so much fun with clipless pedals as I endo'd playing on the really narrow section. I swapped bikes with my Dad who had platform pedals and was able to ride the narrow section.

We really enjoyed the trail. We took frequent breaks but my Dad really enjoyed it. He was surprisingly good technically and rode many of the log crossings. It took about an hour and 10 minutes or so because of the frequent stops but was a blast. When we finished up, my Dad went and rode around the rest of the park to cool down and talk to the Park Ranger. I went out for a fast lap. It took me 32 minutes this time and I was pretty well spent at the end.

The real question is whether my Dad will ride again on his own and whether he'll get up tomorrow morning without major soreness. I couldn't have asked for a better trail for him.

Thanks again, and I'll try to hook up with you guys to ride next time I'm down this way.
    Barry

mtbr member
    That's great! Hopefully we'll see your Dad out at New Quarter sometime soon. And definitely look us up next time you're in town.

Jun 2006
    62??? Man, thats cool. Hope I'm still riding at 62!!

Members who have read this thread: 0