Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011

Which trails?! One day to ride Slatyfork (or places nearby) - Thanks!

I've been trying to make it over to the Slatyfork area for some singletrack for years. Finally, I carved out a day to make it happen. I'm just your average trail rider looking for a great trail. Can anyone offer a must-ride trail (or two)? Thanks in advance!!

Mike
    (IG: @monstermikeoutside)
    Tidewater, VA is home - Eagle Rock, VA is base camp.

IG: @monstermikeoutdoors

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011
    I'll take a simply a trail name. After I posted, I saw this topic has been covered several times (my apologies). But if there's any updated info from since about 2016, it'd be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    No updates from 2016. Slatyfork is pretty technical, and I don"t know your riding experience/level/strength

A basic ride is drive up Mine Road to Gauley Mountain Trail. Ride/Bike Gauley to Bear Pen Trail (a right); take Bear Pen to Boundary Trail (They will basically merge at a dogleg left at a semi-uphill at pine forest trees). Take Boundary to Saddle Loop Trail. Take a right on Saddle Loop to a Fire Road (FS 135). When you get to 135 stay right on on the obvious big wide fire road. 135 will take you to Mine Road - take a right to the car.

Couple of caveats

This is not an easy ride. I would call it challenging. Moreover, the fire roads back to the car are pretty long. You will pass numerous hunting camps.

Don't miss the right at saddle loop. Otherwise you will drop off the mountain to Tea Creek Campground and it will be a long climb back up the hill.

Weather can be a challenge, even in the summer months.

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011
    Pisgah, I appreciate the route recommendation! I was able to follow your route on MTBProject well. Sounds like a winner. I was considering doing the downhill trail via Tea Creek Mountain trail. Sounds like a lot of fun. But that fire road back out had me wondering. I have a two-hour drive back to the farm on Virginia afterwards... LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Tea Ceeek Mountain Trail is great. However, the climb up Bannock Shoals is at least 5 miles. At the top of Bannock is a Saddle Loop exit from Boundary. Meaning, after you climb Bannock, there is still a long road ride back to your car along 135 and Mine Road (assuming you park at Gauley).

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011
    Thanks Pisgah!!! Much appreciated.

Are the trails marked or run in decently enough to follow? I'm riding this solo, so I'd like some confidence that it all can be followed (well enough, anyway - or I'm hiring a guide LOL).

Next time I'll rope in some friends to do a shuttle for Tea Creek Mountain Trail.
    Tidewater, VA is home - Eagle Rock, VA is base camp.

IG: @monstermikeoutdoors

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    The Tea Creek trails are marked pretty well, most have a map at the trailhead. Tea Creek Mountain and Red Run are the two most difficult ones I have been on. I have been over there a number of times and they still scare me. Not a place I would recommend solo riding so be careful. A loop you could try would be to start on Gauley Mountain (the easiest trail there, so if you like continue on). Then Bear Pen, Boundary, Bannock Shoals and then climb the mountain by road or Tea Creek Mountain trail. Or you can run it the other way, which is what we usually do. That's 20+ miles of hard, muddy, rocky riding.

Personally, if I were riding solo I would go out Gauley Mountain, then maybe turn on Tea Creek to Tea Creek Connector and return on Gauley Mountain. Not too long and you are never more than 5 or so miles from your car. Still that would give you a taste of the type of riding there. Good luck.

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011
    Thanks, I've been wondering about how feasible it would be to get myself out of a bind if something were to go wrong. I know I get zero cell service with Green Bank being in the area. I may do the abbreviated trail section you recommend unless I can get a bud onboard with me. Seems like ever since I hit my 40s, my friends have gotten soft on me... LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    The Tea Creek trails are marked pretty well, most have a map at the trailhead. Tea Creek Mountain and Red Run are the two most difficult ones I have been on. I have been over there a number of times and they still scare me. Not a place I would recommend solo riding so be careful. A loop you could try would be to start on Gauley Mountain (the easiest trail there, so if you like continue on). Then Bear Pen, Boundary, Bannock Shoals and then climb the mountain by road or Tea Creek Mountain trail. Or you can run it the other way, which is what we usually do. That's 20+ miles of hard, muddy, rocky riding.

Personally, if I were riding solo I would go out Gauley Mountain, then maybe turn on Tea Creek to Tea Creek Connector and return on Gauley Mountain. Not too long and you are never more than 5 or so miles from your car. Still that would give you a taste of the type of riding there. Good luck.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePSU View Post
    Thanks, I've been wondering about how feasible it would be to get myself out of a bind if something were to go wrong. I know I get zero cell service with Green Bank being in the area. I may do the abbreviated trail section you recommend unless I can get a bud onboard with me. Seems like ever since I hit my 40s, my friends have gotten soft on me... LOL.
    Yea - no cell service there unless you have a sight line to Snowshoe (which you do in a couple of spots on Rt 150). I see you have a base camp in Eagle Rock, as I do. I can show you some trails there that are quite "private label" as we call them. I need to get in there and clean them off first (the down side of private label is that no one else works on the trails).