mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Trails Near Wellsburg, WV

I will be in Wellsburg, WV in a few weeks for work and am planning to bring my bike to hit some of the local trails. I was looking for some trails within a 30 min drive of Wellsburg but couldn't find anything. I looked on Mt Bike Project and Singletracks. Are there any good trails close to Wellsburg? Anything in OH, WV, or PA the locals like to ride after work? I will only have one day to ride. Thanks in advance!

Hermit
    Just gave the map a quick check to find out where Wellsburg is. I know of 2 places that are pretty close to there.

North of New Cumberland is Tomlinson Run SP, which allows mtb on some of their trails. Check here for WV trail info: West Virginia Trail Inventory Note that the WV trail guide site has some of the trails that used to be open to mtb marked as hiking only. Might be a good idea to hit up the park office to get the most accurate info before you started riding.

But the better destination would be Bavington (aka Hillman SP) in PA, just north of Burgettstown. There are a couple of decent, fairly popular trails there. I like to park on Knowlton Hill Road and start with the trail south of there. There is another parking area, shown on Google maps as at the intersection of Haul Road and T446, that gives access to another couple of nice trails. Do a google search for a Bavington map.

Good luck.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post
    Just gave the map a quick check to find out where Wellsburg is. I know of 2 places that are pretty close to there.

North of New Cumberland is Tomlinson Run SP, which allows mtb on some of their trails. Check here for WV trail info: West Virginia Trail Inventory Note that the WV trail guide site has some of the trails that used to be open to mtb marked as hiking only. Might be a good idea to hit up the park office to get the most accurate info before you started riding.

But the better destination would be Bavington (aka Hillman SP) in PA, just north of Burgettstown. There are a couple of decent, fairly popular trails there. I like to park on Knowlton Hill Road and start with the trail south of there. There is another parking area, shown on Google maps as at the intersection of Haul Road and T446, that gives access to another couple of nice trails. Do a google search for a Bavington map.

Good luck.

Steve Z
    Thank you Steve. I'll check it out!