Trails near Marion Va- Mtbr.com
    change is good
    Sep 2004

Trails near Marion Va

I am aware of Hungry Mother, but I would like to find other nearby trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There are a lot of trails in Sugar Grove, Wytheville and Rural Retreat. Take a look here for a few trail reviews and a forum with more info about riding in the area wytheoutdoors.com

Apr 2004
    In addition to the Creeper Trail (which isn't really a "trail") there are plenty of miles of single track in Damascus. Check with the bike shops in the area. There is a shop right on the Creeper Trail (right across from that little white restaurant) that can tell you where the singletrack is. Actually, any of the bike shops in Abingdon can probably tell you too.

I'm not sure if there are any trails actually in Marion, though. A good friend of mine lives there, and when I come down we go to Abingdon to ride.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caboverpete
    There are a lot of trails in Sugar Grove, Wytheville and Rural Retreat. Take a look here for a few trail reviews and a forum with more info about riding in the area wytheoutdoors.com
    I'll check those areas out.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    One of my favorite rides is in the Damascus area. I like to start at Beartree and ride across Straight Ridge (something like that) to US600. Take a left on 600 for about a mile and you will see where Iron Mtn intesects the road. Take a left and you turn back toward Beartree. Take a right and you will go towards RT80. I prefer to go to RT80. On RT80 you have the option of riding Jerry's Creek to Rowland Creek and old Rt80 trails. This will take you in a loop back to RT80. You can ride on out RT80 and come out on US600 again. Turn left on US600 and you will be back to where Iron Mtn intersects the road. Now I like to take the trail heading back toward Beartree. From Iron Mtn you can take Lum trail back to Beartree or continue on Iron Mtn to another trail, I think its called Beartree Gap, and it will put you out on the road near the parking area. If you follow the whole route I just explained you'll have about 35 miles under your belt. A little easier version will knock out the Jerry's/Rowland's Creek section and drop the distance to about 19 miles. I found this route at www.bikeguy.net You can pick up a map of the area at Mt Rogers Outfitters or Adventure Damascus. If you ever want somebody to show you around this loop just let me know. Replying via email is the best option since I don't visit the forums as much as I once did.

So what is your opinion of the trails at Hungry Mother? Is it worth a trip up there?

Crawlin' like a Crawfish!

wytheoutdoors

Abscar, post on the wytheoutdoors.com board when you want ride. There are several of us that ride pretty regular, but unfortunately, most at different times and days. If you put up when you would like to go, surely one of us could show you around.
    - crunch (on the wytheoutdoors boards)

change is good
    Sep 2004

Thanks, but

Quote Originally Posted by zoo00oom
    Abscar, post on the wytheoutdoors.com board when you want ride. There are several of us that ride pretty regular, but unfortunately, most at different times and days. If you put up when you would like to go, surely one of us could show you around.
    - crunch (on the wytheoutdoors boards)
    The job opportunity in your area didn't pan out