Trails in Charlottesville Area?- Mtbr.com
    vgt
    mtbr member

Trails in Charlottesville Area?

I just got back from visiting a good friend in Charlottesville Virginia and was wondering if there are any good trails to ride in that the area. Seemed like a good place to ride. My friend does not ride...so she would not be very helpful. Any insight would be appreciated. I will probably be back down there in a month or so.

Many thanks.

P.S. What a great town and a great vibe. Being from outside of NYC in Northern NJ, I really dug Charlottesville.

Feb 2006
    I'm glad you liked C'ville. It is by far my favorite spot in VA.

As for riding, there are tons of places to go, but for spots in or close to town check out O'hill (in town close to the stadium) and Walnut Creek 10 minutes south of town. Both spots are great for short track XC. About 10 miles of trail at O'hill and 20 at Walnut Creek.

Check out www.cambc.org for directions and maps.

If you want to venture out further to hit up some of the more 'epic' national forrest rides, just let me know and I'll be glad to help you out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm starting at UVA in a couple days and had the exact same question. Where to ride??
    My dorm is right at the stadium so i should be close to o-hill from what i hear...
    Recommend any shops?

vgt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    I'm glad you liked C'ville. It is by far my favorite spot in VA.

As for riding, there are tons of places to go, but for spots in or close to town check out O'hill (in town close to the stadium) and Walnut Creek 10 minutes south of town. Both spots are great for short track XC. About 10 miles of trail at O'hill and 20 at Walnut Creek.

Check out www.cambc.org for directions and maps.

If you want to venture out further to hit up some of the more 'epic' national forrest rides, just let me know and I'll be glad to help you out.

Many Thanks amigo. I will check out that web link....maybe those two spots....and maybe even hit you up for a epic ride sometime. C'ville is great....now....if I could only find a job down there that is comparable to mine. Ha! I would move there in a heart beat.

What's the corp job scene like down there? I am in marketing / advertising production.

VGT

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey Sonofagun,
    I'm going to be a third-year student and I'm moving in tomorrow. I'm an intermediate rider, but I've never had a chance to check out O'Hill, mainly because I couldn't ride last year due to injury and I didn't have my bike the year before that. If you wanna explore O'Hill sometime let me know Otherwise, there is some good XC riding at Walnut Creek Park, but you would probably want to drive there. As for shops, I like the Performance Bike that's a little ways down Rt. 29 (Emmett St.) Unfortunately I haven't met too many people that are into MTB at UVA, but I would suggest joining the Outdoors Club. There are some good people in there, and they lead a range of activities from MTB at Walnut Creek to rock climbing at New River Gorge. Hope that helped!

Sep 2006
    check out mint springs park in crozet (250w) for some stuff similar to o-hill but less crowded. I had to end up hike a biking some of the climbs there but the downhills aint bad but short.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Biosludge, thanks for the info! I didnt bring a car with me but I definitely want to ride ohill. Ill send you a PM.

Feb 2006
    Sonofagun and Biosludge, I highly recommend joining CAMBC. Dues are as low as $10 per year and the best money you can spend in your MTB budget. There are a lot of great members to meet up with as well as excellent group rides through the week. Dues go towards trail building funds to keep these trails in the best shape possible, which is tough with the intense amount of traffic they receive in the area.

Members who have read this thread: 0