Trail Style and New Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Trail Style and New Bike

I recently moved to Northern VA. I travel a lot throughout the exact states in this thred. Looking to get a new bike, but I can't decide what to get as I am somewhat unfamiliar with the trails. Looking at 29ers and some 27.5 midfats. Help would be appreciated.

WillWorkForTrail
    You want something that climbs well, and there's plenty of chunk around there. Hard to go wrong with a DW link 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's a pretty generic list of wants. Hard to suggest anything. I personally would go with a 120-130mm 29er. Love my Ripley.
    What bikes have you ridden? Just about everyone makes a mid travel 29er so it comes down to what YOU like.

I personally didn't like the way my Specialized rode. Loved my TBc but had one grip with it. My Ripley is the happy medium for me between Santa Cruz VPP and Specialized FSR that I've ridden.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Forgot to mention my budget is about 1300, 1500 tops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Look on Pinkbike Buy/Sell for used.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerjw View Post
    Forgot to mention my budget is about 1300, 1500 tops.
    That's low for a good FS. As suggested I'd look used.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm looking at hardtails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You could look on Pinkbike for a used Stache 29+.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerjw View Post
    I'm looking at hardtails.
    That's a good call for that price range. Look at one of the new semi-rowdy 27+ hardtails. Not a recommendation, but an example, Cannondale's Beast of the East comes to mind. You'll want something to soak up some of the trail chatter around there with all those rocks.....

mtbr member
    Have you ever thought of a Fatty? It soaks up a good bit of the hits and really inspires confidence. I ride my Farley7 almost exclusively now for trails. Put a suspension fork on it with 27.5x3.8 tires on it and it is GREAT! Kind of like riding on velcro. A real traction monster. I have a Cannondale flash that mostly collects dust now. Have seen some good deals on some used Farley 6's lately on Fat bike trader. Not for all but hey worth a look.... Just sayin!
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I haven't looked at any 3.8 fattys but I have been looking at some midfats. The new trek roscoe 8 specifically. Seems like a lot of bike for a good price

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    Have you ever thought of a Fatty? It soaks up a good bit of the hits and really inspires confidence. I ride my Farley7 almost exclusively now for trails. Put a suspension fork on it with 27.5x3.8 tires on it and it is GREAT! Kind of like riding on velcro. A real traction monster. I have a Cannondale flash that mostly collects dust now. Have seen some good deals on some used Farley 6's lately on Fat bike trader. Not for all but hey worth a look.... Just sayin!
    Meant to reply to you. See above post.

mtbr member
    I work at a Trek dealer P/T and the roscoe is a pretty nice bike for the price. I would try to swing the Stache though. The 29+ is sweet. Try to demo both and while you are at it see if you can demo a Farley. All three are nice. I am biased as I totally love the Farley. Some dealers have demo days and may be some in your area. We sell both Trek and Cannondale in my shop. I have also seen some deals on a Stache on Craigslist.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    What would be your home trials, you ride most often? Also if you give us some mesurments someone may have a bike they'll part with used.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    If you don't know, take a guess, but what would your riding style be? You think you'll be trying to hit jumps and drops? Aggressive riding style or you just want something to get you out on the trails, but not necessarily rail up and down everything?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    At your price point, I would look at some 650b+ hardtails. I'm seeing lots of mid-fat bikes (hardtail and FS) on trail locally and people seem to like them for non-competitive riding.

Nothing in NoVA really requires a FS bike. Though if you venture out to GWNF or the 'Shed, it definitely makes life better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Think I am going to hold out for this fall/winter and test some more bikes and maybe save up to get something a little better next Spring. I'd like to see some of the trails and decide what kind of riding i really want to do. Thanks to the input!