Raleigh

Trail advice while in Lynchburg

Hey everyone,

I'm coming up from Raleigh with my girl to see Avatar and I'll have Sunday to myself to ride (just need to be back in Lynchburg between 5-6pm).

I'll be on a Tallboy, and fav trails are in Pisgah (Pilot Rock, Black Mountain, Squirrel Gap, etc.). That said, I'm not at all above mixing in some flow with my chunk.

What prescribe ye'?

Many thanks!
    ~wood

Btw, I'm not adverse to waking up at 5am to hunt some tail that is further away just so long as I'm able to get back to Lynchburg between 5-6pm.
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS
    Gloworm XS on bars
    Gloworm Alpha on helmet
    @tubbnation (IG)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Two main spots I would hit there were Chandler Mtn. right by Liberty University and Peaks View Park. Chandler is up to 30+ miles of trail, Peaks View 10 miles? When I was riding those spots back in 2008-2010; Chandler was still being developed, some trails were great, others were so so, signage was weak. They’ve probably made improvements, and with MTB apps nowadays not as big of a deal. Peaks View is a city park, so limited miles, but easier to navigate and may be better suited for a shorter simpler ride. Do some homework and have fun!

Raleigh
    ^^^ thanks, for the reply!

Yeah, the shit-ton of homework I already did has me leaning towards Carvins Cove. I was also looking at hitting Dody Ridge.

That said, I might get a wild hair and wake up extra early to hit the Stokesville area.
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS
    Gloworm XS on bars
    Gloworm Alpha on helmet
    @tubbnation (IG)

mtbr member

Drive a little out of town for the real goods

Peaks View would be very similar to your local trails with not much elevation and tight and twisty. Candlers has more elevation and some fun, but would be hard to navigate without some research or guide.

If Pisgah is your jam and that's the kind of riding you're looking for, I would drive 45mins from town to the bigger mountains.

Sherando or Spec Mine/Dody Ridge are the two closest. The Spec Mine/Dody Ridge route - https://www.trailforks.com/trails/sp...y-ridge-route/ would likely be the better unless you want a big 3+hr and more gnarly ride.

For the big gnarly Sherando's Torry Ridge and Mills River loop - https://www.trailforks.com/region/sherando-lake-17916/ is that and its every bit as hard as some of the trails you describe in Pisgah.
    www.crankjoy.com - Exploring the happy places, a mountain bike travel and gear resource.

mtbr member
    I was going to suggest Carvins Cove as well. The trails there are a great mix of flow and well marked/easy to navigate. Its very fun system.

Stokesville for sure has fantastic trails if you want to spend 2+ hrs each way driving up there.
    www.crankjoy.com - Exploring the happy places, a mountain bike travel and gear resource.

Raleigh
    ^^^ thanks, for the replies!
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS
    Gloworm XS on bars
    Gloworm Alpha on helmet
    @tubbnation (IG)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Candlers mountain is awesome, but it's been 10yrs since I've ridden it so I imagine it has changed some. Def start heading out well before dark because it can be confusing if you've never ridden there before.

mtbr member
    Have a buddy in Lynchburg we rode carvins cove last time the OG line is the coolest jumpline I've ever rode and the gauntlet is a killer downhill run, hell of a climb up there but worth it. Ride gauntlet until it intersects with OG then hike back up OG then ride it down back to the intersection of gauntlet and take gauntlet all the way down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by karthur View Post
    Candlers mountain is awesome, but it's been 10yrs since I've ridden it so I imagine it has changed some. Def start heading out well before dark because it can be confusing if you've never ridden there before.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin-nc View Post
    Have a buddy in Lynchburg we rode carvins cove last time the OG line is the coolest jumpline I've ever rode and the gauntlet is a killer downhill run, hell of a climb up there but worth it. Ride gauntlet until it intersects with OG then hike back up OG then ride it down back to the intersection of gauntlet and take gauntlet all the way down.

Cool, these were two trails I was specifically looking at hitting. Thanks, for the info!
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS
    Gloworm XS on bars
    Gloworm Alpha on helmet
    @tubbnation (IG)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
    Thanks!

Cool, these were two trails I was specifically looking at hitting. Thanks, for the info!
    We climbed up one really steep trail that was hell then up a fireroad for a while to get to the top we were told this was the most direct way to the top albeit lots of suffering but a shorter time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    stokesville, carvins and sherando are all within about 30 min drive time of each other (1:15-1:45) from Lynchburg. All have great riding. It's really all about what you're looking for. Carvins has some of everything and is super well marked so it's pretty easy to get around with just a little pre-planning. Sherando is old school and has all the rocks, plus you have to go thru Nelson county to get there which has more breweries than stop lights (look up Rt 151 beer trail). Stokesville has GREAT stuff too (Lookout mtn is my favorite) and much more of a back country feel if that's what you're looking for. There are also some other great spots on the north side of Roanoke that would be even closer to you like Spec Mines that Crank mentioned or Mine shaft and a couple others in that area of the parkway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lots of good recommendations being contributed. If you can deal with a drive, I’d also recommend Carvin’s Cove. Great variety of trails, sure you’ve read all the reviews and route suggestions. For someone like you with a defined window of riding opportunity go somewhere easy to navigate and guaranteed good quality.

Sherando and Stokesville are awesome - very Pisgah-ish as they are both in a national forest (George Washington). They take several rides to really get the routes down. Signage can be so so. If you miss a turn you may be hunting for 1/2 an hour or backtracking miles. Save these spots for a solid weekend trip. You’ll thank yourself.

Raleigh
    ^^^ - a big thanks, to everyone! I appreciate the responses, and information supplied.

Once I get back, I'll post a little recap. Thanks, again!
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS
    Gloworm XS on bars
    Gloworm Alpha on helmet
    @tubbnation (IG)

mtbr member
    May 2017

Dody Spec trail head, route advice

Anyone ridden Dody-Spec lately? Ill be driving through the area next week( down 81) , need advice on trail head locations and routes. I noticed a route on ridewithgps where they started at the end of 606, but on the "earth view" it looks like its not even a road. https://ridewithgps.com/trips/2915970
    Thanks for any help

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by spleeft View Post
    Anyone ridden Dody-Spec lately? Ill be driving through the area next week( down 81) , need advice on trail head locations and routes. I noticed a route on ridewithgps where they started at the end of 606, but on the "earth view" it looks like its not even a road. https://ridewithgps.com/trips/2915970
    Thanks for any help
    It's been about 3 weeks since I've down spec mines but hopefully the rain will finally stop soon. No clue on conditions after this week. The end of 606 is past Camp Bethel and it turns into a fire service road. When you come to a gate across the road going up then you know you are at the entrance to Black Horse gap which is a fire road climb of sorts. There may or may not be a gate across the road on the left and right.
    There is alternative parking for the Dody Ridge side at Day Creek parking area. This link will give you the general idea of where it is. https://www.trailmeister.com/trails/...eek-trailhead/