Tour de Roanoke- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Tour de Roanoke

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,159

    Tour de Roanoke

    I've heard great things about the area (especially Carvin's Cove and Dody Ridge) so think it'll be worth the 3 1/2 hour drive to do an overnight trip.
    I typically like some tech, but will be riding solo and blind so will dial it back a decent amount and would prefer long, flow descents.

    Any recommendations? Also where's a good place to camp, eat, and other things to check out and explore? Any outdoor companies for whitewater kayaking or renting a paddle board?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I've heard great things about the area (especially Carvin's Cove and Dody Ridge) so think it'll be worth the 3 1/2 hour drive to do an overnight trip.
    I typically like some tech, but will be riding solo and blind so will dial it back a decent amount and would prefer long, flow descents.

    Any recommendations? Also where's a good place to camp, eat, and other things to check out and explore? Any outdoor companies for whitewater kayaking or renting a paddle board?
    Call Roanoke Mountain Adventures and either Dan or James will be able to answer all of your questions.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: River19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    907
    Just got back from that area....... solid riding. Spend time at Carvins.
    2019 Nukeproof Scout 290
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    Just got back from that area....... solid riding. Spend time at Carvins.
    I am not a skilled young rider however Carvins Cove was a part of the attraction that contributed to our moving here from the NE. Each week I volunteer one day to work on the new Rock N Roll flow trail that we are building. Less than a mile to go for Phase 1 and then the next phase will begin. Once completed, it will be the longest US flow trail at 7 + miles.

    Recently this year, IMBA awarded this area, Roanoke/Blue Ridge Virginia area their Silver
    Medal award, thatís big!

    Anyway, glad you enjoyed it!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: River19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I am not a skilled young rider however Carvins Cove was a part of the attraction that contributed to our moving here from the NE. Each week I volunteer one day to work on the new Rock N Roll flow trail that we are building. Less than a mile to go for Phase 1 and then the next phase will begin. Once completed, it will be the longest US flow trail at 7 + miles.

    Recently this year, IMBA awarded this area, Roanoke/Blue Ridge Virginia area their Silver
    Medal award, thatís big!

    Anyway, glad you enjoyed it!
    Sounds like some fantastic work.

    We have done a decent amount of riding up and down the entire East Coast hitting all the usual suspects over the years and spend the bulk of our time in VT. While I think the IMBA rating is cool, I think folks need to do their own research as hearing "IMBA Ride Center" makes it sound like there is a centralized concentration of trails and support scene like a Pisgah/Brevard etc. and from what we could tell Roanoke area is a different animal. Not a good or bad thing, just different. Expect to drive a good amount from one spot to the next, which isn't entitely different than NC but...... Mill and Carvins are close but some of the other spots we wanted to hit are a good 50-60 miles apart/out from Roanoke.

    Maybe we missed it but it felt like the bike shop support scene as a little less visible than in some other areas. We hit Underdog when we rode Mill and the guy seemed genuinely suprised we were there lol

    That being said, the riding was enjoyable. Since it pissed rain most of the time we were there we only got in 3 days of riding out of the 5 we were there.....but we did Mill Mountain for the "if you're in Roanoke you need to ride to the star" thing and then 2 days at Carvins. Carvins by far was the star of the area. Enough trails to spend a couple to 3 days riding depending on whether you want 10 mile days or 20+. Scenery was awesome, wildlife was abundent.....like on a single 2 mile stretch we ran into bear, deer, snake, family of racoons, saw a monster trout feeding and God knows what else we rode by. I would say the Carvin's trail ratings are pretty spot on for an area affiliated with IMBA.....Green and Blue were exactly that, single black made sense and double black made sense as well for certain sections.

    Wanted to get to Douthat as well but the weather was just poop at the time.

    We will return with friends, you have a good thing going there.
    2019 Nukeproof Scout 290
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    Sounds like some fantastic work.

    We have done a decent amount of riding up and down the entire East Coast hitting all the usual suspects over the years and spend the bulk of our time in VT. While I think the IMBA rating is cool, I think folks need to do their own research as hearing "IMBA Ride Center" makes it sound like there is a centralized concentration of trails and support scene like a Pisgah/Brevard etc. and from what we could tell Roanoke area is a different animal. Not a good or bad thing, just different. Expect to drive a good amount from one spot to the next, which isn't entitely different than NC but...... Mill and Carvins are close but some of the other spots we wanted to hit are a good 50-60 miles apart/out from Roanoke.

    Maybe we missed it but it felt like the bike shop support scene as a little less visible than in some other areas. We hit Underdog when we rode Mill and the guy seemed genuinely suprised we were there lol

    That being said, the riding was enjoyable. Since it pissed rain most of the time we were there we only got in 3 days of riding out of the 5 we were there.....but we did Mill Mountain for the "if you're in Roanoke you need to ride to the star" thing and then 2 days at Carvins. Carvins by far was the star of the area. Enough trails to spend a couple to 3 days riding depending on whether you want 10 mile days or 20+. Scenery was awesome, wildlife was abundent.....like on a single 2 mile stretch we ran into bear, deer, snake, family of racoons, saw a monster trout feeding and God knows what else we rode by. I would say the Carvin's trail ratings are pretty spot on for an area affiliated with IMBA.....Green and Blue were exactly that, single black made sense and double black made sense as well for certain sections.

    Wanted to get to Douthat as well but the weather was just poop at the time.

    We will return with friends, you have a good thing going there.
    We love Carvins Cove and for the two years that we have been riding there and Trail building once a week, weíre yet to see a bear or snake, not that I feel like Iím missing anything! Always afraid to be rounding a blind turn and running into either one!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    8
    Not to be overlooked in the Roanoke area is the trails in the Jefferson national Forrest. North mountain in Roanoke & Craig counties and Arcadia in Botetourt county. Going up to Blacksburg thereís also the Poverty creek trails.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,159
    Thanks all for the replies. Hoping to get up there this month. Anyone know where to check the trail status? I want to make sure they're open before making the 3 hour drive

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Thanks all for the replies. Hoping to get up there this month. Anyone know where to check the trail status? I want to make sure they're open before making the 3 hour drive
    Might be worthwhile to call Roanoke Mountain Adventure since thereíre often there with shuttles and guided tours. Obviously thereíre super soaked at this point in time.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,580
    Looks like these guys had some fun riding there...

    https://youtu.be/xUIqzUP_bu0

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,580
    And a couple more...

    https://youtu.be/BE0jJj53B28

    https://youtu.be/C5qg4ZzYYMo




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    8
    A couple of Facebook groups are very good at posting updates...

    Friends of Roanoke Trails & Greenways

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/778359092176343/

    Play Roanoke

    https://www.facebook.com/playroanoke/

Similar Threads

  1. Roanoke Area Riders: Important Roanoke City Meeting Tonight (September 13th)
    By kapusta in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 10:03 AM
  2. Coming to Roanoke, What to ride?
    By gnriden in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 07:05 AM
  3. Roanoke, VA Pump Track Carnage!!!!
    By rnrelmtl in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2011, 02:26 PM
  4. Rocky Mt/Roanoke
    By Mike Aswell in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 03:00 PM
  5. Roanoke in the Rain
    By MightyDingus in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 12:57 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.