Tires Recomendations Needed...Just returned to the scene- Mtbr.com

Jul 2005

Tires Recomendations Needed...Just returned to the scene

After a few years away from the scene (college) I've just returned to mountain biking. Last week a bought a new Trek Top Fuel 98. Needless to say, the bike super fast but the Bontrager tires are ****. Any recommendations for a tubeless tire that grips well and is also wicked fast. Thanks.

Jun 2005
    I just went through a tire buying rampage recently so I've done a fair bit of research. You're probably better off asking this in the Wheel & Tire section (Shiggy posts over there & knows his s*&%(*$), but hell I'll give you my $.02 here in case you don't make it over there. Anyway, I assume you ride in the DC/MD/VA area so some good tires I've found from research for around this area are:

Kenda Nevegal (rear)
    Kenda Blue Groove (front)
    Hutchinson Spider (this is what I just bought; $27 @ PerformanceBicycle; non-UST though)
    Specialized Roll-X Pro
    Ritchey ZED Race WCS

I went with the Spider Airlight as it was the best tire for the price although I only bought a front tire. The 2-Kenda tires seem to be universally accepted as great all-around tires & the Nevegal won Mountain Bike Action's Tire Shootout last year. I'm pretty sure they're both available as tubeless too. FWIW I run a Bontrager Super-X on the rear of my bike which is a really good, fast all-around tire. What tires came on your Trek that you don't like? Hope this helps some...

P.S. If you haven't been there already you might wanna venture on over to www.more-mtb.org which is the DC/MD/VA area club. Lots of locals there & TONS of info about places to ride & group rides & such.

May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by J McDonie
    After a few years away from the scene (college) I've just returned to mountain biking. Last week a bought a new Trek Top Fuel 98. Needless to say, the bike super fast but the Bontrager tires are ****. Any recommendations for a tubeless tire that grips well and is also wicked fast. Thanks.

i've been using panaracer fire on the back and its groovy. tube, though.

EDR
    most will tell you that a crappy tire for riding where you ride might be a great tire for my common terrain. Tell us what you ride mostly. I.E. softer earth, hardpack scattered with crushed rock, wet, dry mostly. Is mud an everyday issue? etc ,etc.