For those of you who ride Fountain head, a question.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. For those of you who ride Fountain head, a question.

What do you ride?

I'm purchasing another ride here soon. Alot of my buds don't have the finances for a decent ride, so I figure if I get another I'll have a spare to loan out. I currently ride a Fuel EX 7. Great bike. I have a hard time finding fault with it for the riding I do. Im kinda leaning towards a Nomad, and I admit not because I need one, but I sure do want one. Considering most of my riding is fountain head, do you think its too much. Is anyone else in the area using something in "All Mountain" category for everyday rides .Granted if i did end up with a nomad that would be all the excuse I need for a couple trips to Snow Shoe. Thank in advance, looking forward to seeing what everyone else rides.

kona-tize me captain
    i ride a 2004 bighit spec single pivot, small frame and im 6ft, built for freeriding weights at least 40lbs, i ride it at fountainhead once a week..... youll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous View Post
    What do you ride?

I'm purchasing another ride here soon. Alot of my buds don't have the finances for a decent ride, so I figure if I get another I'll have a spare to loan out. I currently ride a Fuel EX 7. Great bike. I have a hard time finding fault with it for the riding I do. Im kinda leaning towards a Nomad, and I admit not because I need one, but I sure do want one. Considering most of my riding is fountain head, do you think its too much. Is anyone else in the area using something in "All Mountain" category for everyday rides .Granted if i did end up with a nomad that would be all the excuse I need for a couple trips to Snow Shoe. Thank in advance, looking forward to seeing what everyone else rides.
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ride my 29er HT - a Salsa frame, etc. and it's awesome. But I have a pretty sensitive lower back, so the middle sections that are still classic FH - rooty, etc. beat me up. About to take my new Scalpel 29 (100mm travel F/R) out this weekend, and think it will be perfect.

A small-travel (4") XC rig would be fast and awesome. But I've ridden it on a 5" AM rig and had just as much fun! (Old bike was a C'dale Rize: 130mm travel) - especially with the redone parts, FH is so damn fun I think even a 28lb 5" bike would still leave you grinning hah
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

Bicycle Radical
    I have a 2011 Kona Fire Mountain with 100mm of travel in the front fork. It suits me just fine at Fountainhead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    thats a tough one. i feel like it would be fine to ride out there but i also feel like it might be a little too aggressive for fountainhead. i definitely feel you though a nomad carbon is definitely one of my future bikes haha.

have you thought about maybe a specialized stumpjumper or even stumpjumper evo? a bit more aggressive than the average trail bike like the fuel ex series yet not so much as a nomad. this is coming from and ex8 rider too haha

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I did consider it

I did look at the Spec Evo. But the whole proprietary shock thing is kinda a turn off. Plus im a big boy around 240 geared up, and I wanna try a coil shock (have yet to try a coil shock or fork on any of the bikes Ive owned).

On a side note my other choice is transition Convert. It has the added benefit that a local shop sells em. opinions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous View Post
    I did look at the Spec Evo. But the whole proprietary shock thing is kinda a turn off. Plus im a big boy around 240 geared up, and I wanna try a coil shock (have yet to try a coil shock or fork on any of the bikes Ive owned).

On a side note my other choice is transition Convert. It has the added benefit that a local shop sells em. opinions?
    oh okay cool i agree that the shock is kind of weird.

I havent heard too much about the transition but i hear they are a good company and i will definitely be considering that bike as well when its time. i would probably compare prices

Members who have read this thread: 0