mtbr member

Are there any mountain bike trails around Williamson, WV?

I will be spending the weekend visiting the wife's relatives in Williamson, WV the weekend of October 13 and I thought I would take my bike and check out the local trails but I can't seem to find anything on the trails in this area. I searched this forum and searched on the Internet but came up with nothing. I would have thought they would have some pretty good trails considering the terrain around there but I can't seem to find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    - Rich

My ride - '07 IBEX Asta Comp X7

I have nothing clever to say...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Chief Logan State Park is maybe about 15 minutes from Williamson. I checked there once when I was dating a local and they told me that Mt. bikers were allowed there, but I never got the chance to actually ride there so I can't actually vouch for what the trails are like. I suspect that there is some good riding there just due to the geology of southern WV.

If you want a sure thing, Kanawha Forest is near Charleston and has some fanstastic riding. Down side: it's about an hrs drive up Corridor G from Logan. If you're going to Williamson via Charleston, as soon as you get off the Oakwood (corridor G) exit and to the stoplight at the top of the hill, you should see a large brown sign pointing to Kanawha.

If you decide to hit Logan State Park, please do a write up w/ pics if possible. I'm interested in what it's like.

Hope this helps.

I bike long tyme.
    There are tons of trails just outside Charleston and Williamson isn't too far from there. You might also consider checking out the Hatfield-McCoy series of atv trails. They're right down the road from where you'll be. Not sure what the guidelines are for bikes and it might not even be safe but I've ran poker runs on quads on that network and it's pretty impressive. Be prepared to climb!
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like we are just going down on Saturday and coming back Sunday morning so I will not have any time to ride now. Oh well, I'll give it a go the next time...
    - Rich

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorX
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like we are just going down on Saturday and coming back Sunday morning so I will not have any time to ride now. Oh well, I'll give it a go the next time...

Your profile say's you're a buckeye. Near Cinncinati? My dad lives out that way and I try to hit Cearers (sp?) Creek when I'm out there. You know of it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    Your profile say's you're a buckeye. Near Cinncinati? My dad lives out that way and I try to hit Cearers (sp?) Creek when I'm out there. You know of it?
    Yep, I'm a Buckeye but I actually live in Columbus. I'm not familiar with Cearers Creek. I mostly ride the trails at Alum Creek, near Columbus. There are some other good trails within ~1 hour drive from C-bus as well - Scioto Trails and Great Seal in Chillicothe, Lake Hope near Nelsonville, AEP, etc. but I haven't made it as far south as Cincy yet.
    - Rich

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    razorx, I live in Belfry ky 2 miles from williamson wv. we usually go to kanawha state forest like some have said it's by far the best in the area.Hatfield -Mccoy is dangerous for bikers as quads from all over the country are there almost every weekend.I ride my motorcycle there and the trails definitely aren't intended for bikes unless you like to push or hike a bike.I've raced hare scrambles on motorcycles for several years and recently went there for some riding and crashed hard and broke 4 bones on the side of my vertebraes when I landed on a bowling ball size rock.luckily I had a camelback and chest protector on both which were ripped off.If you come down and have time in the future and want someone to show you around kanawha send me an e-mail .I also have some pretty good trails behind my house that we use for training mostly double track but a pretty good workout.Butch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch@ky
    razorx, I live in Belfry ky 2 miles from williamson wv. we usually go to kanawha state forest like some have said it's by far the best in the area.Hatfield -Mccoy is dangerous for bikers as quads from all over the country are there almost every weekend.I ride my motorcycle there and the trails definitely aren't intended for bikes unless you like to push or hike a bike.I've raced hare scrambles on motorcycles for several years and recently went there for some riding and crashed hard and broke 4 bones on the side of my vertebraes when I landed on a bowling ball size rock.luckily I had a camelback and chest protector on both which were ripped off.If you come down and have time in the future and want someone to show you around kanawha send me an e-mail .I also have some pretty good trails behind my house that we use for training mostly double track but a pretty good workout.Butch
    Thanks for the information and the offer Butch. I will definitely shoot you an email if/when I get down to the area long enough to get a ride in.

I have some friends that go down to the Hatfield/McCoy trails once a year. I haven't gone down with them but I have seen the videos and there is no way I would try those trails on a bicycle. If the terrain doesn't kill you...one of the guys on a quad or dirt bike probably will.
    - Rich

Members who have read this thread: 0